firefox 29

My Firefox upgraded to v29. It looks awful.

--

John Larkin                  Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com   jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Re: firefox 29

I am still using v28. What about v29 looks awful to you?

Re: firefox 29

They are trying to make it look like Chrome, basically more icons, less
English. You can hack it back to the previous look. I don't see the logic in
saving one stinkin' line on a large desktop monitor, and English is way
faster than interpreting icons.

If you don't mind the tracking, Chrome is a better browser on windows than
Firefox. I use Chromium to get around the Google sniffing.

Chrome/Chromium is multithreaded and 64 bit on (doh) 64 bit operating
systems, including windows. Firefox on linux is 64 bit. Not sure about
multithreaded.

Re: firefox 29

Because they don't use large desktop monitors, they use those awful
widescreen displays.

I should eBay a 2048x1536 Trinitron one of these days.  That's the only
upgrade direction I'm going from 1600x1200x85Hz. :)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

Note that running a weird screen resolution makes you trackable. That is, it
goes into your browser fingerprint.

Re: firefox 29

John,

Don't know on what you are complaining but for my own I'm satisfied about
fonctionnalities of FF, now i'm working on a client site with IE as a
mandatory web browser ... and believe me i cry all the day !

FF is working on at least 20 free software licences even those google !
I hope FF is not going on Netscape's footsteps, his late grandmother.
Some multimedia codec's are not supported by FF because of patents but
JavaScript is well integrated, this web browser is quite efficient.

I'm one of those thinking to thanks Mozilla Foundation for this work.

Habib

Re: firefox 29

I wouldn't touch IE with a barge pole. Most of the difficulty in coding our web
site was from dealing with the various atrocious versions of IE.

Yes, I've donated and bought their tee shirt. But v29 is hideous, and options
like tabs on bottom, or placement of "back" are gone. So if I want it to look
like it used to, I have to install addons.

--

John Larkin                  Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com   jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Re: firefox 29

Oh i see FF now looks like chrome !

Last year i was complaining about new gnome3 desktop window manager on my
fresh GNU/Linux machine, i remember i wished even switch with to the old
wm !
Now i must admit that gnome3 is fairly productive and intuitive ...

I have now the v28 of FF. May be i will have same sensation when upgrade
to v29 .. i'll see.

BR, HBV.

Re: firefox 29
On Sat, 03 May 2014 07:31:33 -0700, John Larkin

I had to do that half an hour ago - before reading this thread.
I installed "Classic Theme Restorer" addon which at least got the tabs
back to something close to "normal".

Re: firefox 29
On Fri, 02 May 2014 19:12:40 -0700, John Larkin

I downgraded to v26, when the latest FF upgrade could no longer handle
legacy SSL certificates... and I'm holding until someone says FF is
wonderful again ;-)

                                        ...Jim Thompson
Re: firefox 29
On Fri, 02 May 2014 19:12:40 -0700, John Larkin

Have they finally done something to the huge memory leak in FF ?

I have less than 100 open tabs (in less than 10 windows) open at a
time. While opening new pages and also closing old pages, the FF
memory consumption just seems to increase, keeping the open tabs below
100.

I need to terminate firefox.exe several times a week, since it seems
to hog all memory resources. After restarting FF and reloading the
tabs, the memory footprint is several hundred Mbytes smaller than just
prior to firefox termination, so there is clearly some severe memory
leak.

Re: firefox 29

Mo.

This doesn't solve the problem but offers some advice on how to deal
with the memory leaks:
"How to fix Problems with Firefox using too much Memory"
<http://leakeem.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-fix-the-Firefox-Memory-Leak

Re: firefox 29

Thanks,

The trim_on_minimize feature seems to work in the same way as in
Opera, it purges the process working sets by writing the dirty pages
into the page file.

By explicitly freeing physical memory pages, this helps the braindead
Windows page replacement algorithm, that does not even handle the LRU
(Least Recent Used) algorithm in memory page replacement.

Re: firefox 29
On windows, you can run Waterfox, which is a 64 bit version of the crappy
Firefox that Mozilla gives the windows users. It doesn't solve the leak, but
you have more memory so you can survive the leak.

If you ever tried to compile any Mozilla code, you would appreciate the work
that goes into maintain a community version of their terrible cluster of
source code. Firefox looks fine from the outside, but it is very ugly if you
see what goes into it.

Mozilla plans a total rewrite of the system. They can never reach the
efficiency of Chrome/Chromium otherwise.

Google is a major funder of Mozilla. Mozilla gets some money based on you
using the search bar built into the browser rather than going to Google
directly. But google also made Firefox less relevant.

The only thing really hurting Chrome, well besides the built in spyware, is
it isn't as stable on windows as the other operating systems.

Re: firefox 29

Are you trying to get hacked?  I close browsers within a few minutes, by
policy.  Some sites are unusable for me because i won't give them a
damnzillion scripts and cookies.  If you can't ask politely for what you
want to make me your product, don't expect me to cooperate let alone
return.

?-)

Re: firefox 29
snipped-for-privacy@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com says...
I kinda' like it, but by definition this is a subjective thing.

Re: firefox 29
Opera has changed to webkit. So it will be more like Chrome in the future.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9240534/
Opera_15_launches_with_WebKit_backbone

You are correct that in the past, it was very good regarding memory
management.

Re: firefox 29

That annoyed me too.

You're probably already aware that classic theme restorer can put it back
almost exactly as it was.

What worries me is how long before it can't be reverted at all?

Old Guy

Re: firefox 29
On Sat, 3 May 2014 18:44:12 -0400, "John Smith"

Possible, but it looks like just about everything is customizable.
Some time back they put the tabs on the top (because it was more
"logical" - _sure_ it was) but it's not difficult to change it back.
There are all sorts of switches in there to change it's appearance. It
wouldn't surprise me if they stayed for a long time.

Re: firefox 29

I don't see a built-in way to put the (now invisible!) tabs on the bottom, or to
put the back and forward icons where I'm used to seeing them. There's no STOP
any more. The customizability is a shade of what it used to be. Menus are hard
to read. There are add-ons that improve things. What a nuisance.