firefox 29

My Firefox upgraded to v29. It looks awful.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation

I am still using v28. What about v29 looks awful to you?

Reply to
RosemontCrest

They are trying to make it look like Chrome, basically more icons, less English. You can hack it back to the previous look. I don't see the logic in saving one stinkin' line on a large desktop monitor, and English is way faster than interpreting icons.

If you don't mind the tracking, Chrome is a better browser on windows than Firefox. I use Chromium to get around the Google sniffing.

Chrome/Chromium is multithreaded and 64 bit on (doh) 64 bit operating systems, including windows. Firefox on linux is 64 bit. Not sure about multithreaded.

Reply to
miso

John,

Don't know on what you are complaining but for my own I'm satisfied about fonctionnalities of FF, now i'm working on a client site with IE as a mandatory web browser ... and believe me i cry all the day !

FF is working on at least 20 free software licences even those google ! I hope FF is not going on Netscape's footsteps, his late grandmother. Some multimedia codec's are not supported by FF because of patents but JavaScript is well integrated, this web browser is quite efficient.

I'm one of those thinking to thanks Mozilla Foundation for this work.

Habib

Reply to
Habib Bouaziz-Viallet

Because they don't use large desktop monitors, they use those awful widescreen displays.

I should eBay a 2048x1536 Trinitron one of these days. That's the only upgrade direction I'm going from 1600x1200x85Hz. :)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

I downgraded to v26, when the latest FF upgrade could no longer handle legacy SSL certificates... and I'm holding until someone says FF is wonderful again ;-) ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

I wouldn't touch IE with a barge pole. Most of the difficulty in coding our web site was from dealing with the various atrocious versions of IE.

Yes, I've donated and bought their tee shirt. But v29 is hideous, and options like tabs on bottom, or placement of "back" are gone. So if I want it to look like it used to, I have to install addons.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Have they finally done something to the huge memory leak in FF ?

I have less than 100 open tabs (in less than 10 windows) open at a time. While opening new pages and also closing old pages, the FF memory consumption just seems to increase, keeping the open tabs below

100.

I need to terminate firefox.exe several times a week, since it seems to hog all memory resources. After restarting FF and reloading the tabs, the memory footprint is several hundred Mbytes smaller than just prior to firefox termination, so there is clearly some severe memory leak.

Reply to
upsidedown

Mo.

This doesn't solve the problem but offers some advice on how to deal with the memory leaks: "How to fix Problems with Firefox using too much Memory"

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Oh i see FF now looks like chrome !

Last year i was complaining about new gnome3 desktop window manager on my fresh GNU/Linux machine, i remember i wished even switch with to the old wm ! Now i must admit that gnome3 is fairly productive and intuitive ...

I have now the v28 of FF. May be i will have same sensation when upgrade to v29 .. i'll see.

BR, HBV.

Reply to
Habib Bouaziz-Viallet

I had to do that half an hour ago - before reading this thread. I installed "Classic Theme Restorer" addon which at least got the tabs back to something close to "normal".

Reply to
Geo

I kinda' like it, but by definition this is a subjective thing.

Reply to
WangoTango

I run 1920 by 1200. Getting 1200 lines these days costs money because 1080 became the standard. But still, with 1080, you can waste a line in the display.

Note that running a weird screen resolution makes you trackable. That is, it goes into your browser fingerprint.

Reply to
miso

On windows, you can run Waterfox, which is a 64 bit version of the crappy Firefox that Mozilla gives the windows users. It doesn't solve the leak, but you have more memory so you can survive the leak.

If you ever tried to compile any Mozilla code, you would appreciate the work that goes into maintain a community version of their terrible cluster of source code. Firefox looks fine from the outside, but it is very ugly if you see what goes into it.

Mozilla plans a total rewrite of the system. They can never reach the efficiency of Chrome/Chromium otherwise.

Google is a major funder of Mozilla. Mozilla gets some money based on you using the search bar built into the browser rather than going to Google directly. But google also made Firefox less relevant.

The only thing really hurting Chrome, well besides the built in spyware, is it isn't as stable on windows as the other operating systems.

Reply to
miso

Opera has changed to webkit. So it will be more like Chrome in the future.

You are correct that in the past, it was very good regarding memory management.

Reply to
miso

That annoyed me too.

You're probably already aware that classic theme restorer can put it back almost exactly as it was.

What worries me is how long before it can't be reverted at all?

Old Guy

Reply to
John Smith

Possible, but it looks like just about everything is customizable. Some time back they put the tabs on the top (because it was more "logical" - _sure_ it was) but it's not difficult to change it back. There are all sorts of switches in there to change it's appearance. It wouldn't surprise me if they stayed for a long time.

Reply to
krw

Install the hosts file from

That blocks an awful lot of adverts and tracking sites.

WRT Opera. As miso notes they're moving to become Chrome-ized as well. I could live with the changed rendering engine if they just wouldn't foul-up the user interface. Sadly, that seems to be a forlorn hope.

Reply to
Rich Webb

I don't see a built-in way to put the (now invisible!) tabs on the bottom, or to put the back and forward icons where I'm used to seeing them. There's no STOP any more. The customizability is a shade of what it used to be. Menus are hard to read. There are add-ons that improve things. What a nuisance.

Precision electronic instrumentation

So I have reloaded FF28 for those reasons. :-Z

--
John G
Reply to