Find Severe Weather That Could Affect Your Plans

There is a line of severe weather that extends across 3 states. 50,000
lightning strikes in the past 24 hrs (As of Tue May 21, 2019, 12:17 am)

http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php?map30%

Re: Find Severe Weather That Could Affect Your Plans
On a sunny day (Tue, 21 May 2019 05:15:45 -0000 (UTC)) it happened John Doe

I find the expanding circles annoying.
For Europe I use this:
 http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=loop1uur&lightning=1
shows rain too and where it moves.

Re: Find Severe Weather That Could Affect Your Plans

https://www.windy.com/ is another one.

Re: Find Severe Weather That Could Affect Your Plans

That's cool.

This could affect some peoples' plans too, especially golfers.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/22zhid6hto0eksi/Snow_May_21_2019.jpg?dl=0

It's 34.5 F at the cabin this instant, according to the RTD outside.

A few years ago, we had an outright blizzard in Truckee on Memorial
Day.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: Find Severe Weather That Could Affect Your Plans

Thanks. With a storm this severe, I would expect the cloud tops to be above
60,000 feet, which is higher that airplanes can fly. If you look at
flightradar24, you can sometimes see areas where no planes are flying. But
in this case, I don't know enough about US geography to tell. You can check
at

https://www.flightradar24.com/34.21,-91.31/5

Flightradar24 uses ADSB receivers to locate the planes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_dependent_surveillance_%E2%80%93
_broadcast

Re: Find Severe Weather That Could Affect Your Plans

On that site I saw one lightning strike in northern California. We
very rarely get lightning here near the coast; we go years without
seeing or hearing any. The power poles here do not have a high ground
wire to take the strikes, like in most places.

I miss lightning. In New Orleans we got great thunderstorms.

Re: Find Severe Weather That Could Affect Your Plans

I'm not sure I hope you get your wish. That might mean severe weather that
could do a lot of damage.

Re: Find Severe Weather That Could Affect Your Plans
Singapore has some amazing lightning shows! Pretty cool from 20th floor
of a hotel, feels like it's all around you. Maybe it is!

Re: Find Severe Weather That Could Affect Your Plans

Airplanes can fly higher than 60,000 feet , but not your commercial airplanes.

I did a quick check on line expecting to find the  SR-71 or a F 104 holding the record.  But found a NASA electric plane that flew over 96,000 feet in horizontal flight.

                                        Dan

Site Timeline