Finally some common sense re electric cars

al ambient does not drown them out.

The authorities have been very slow to act but the problem is bloody obvio us.

e issue - it is not that the hazard in unavoidable it is the FACT that it is NEW.

I've done exactly the same thing in my truck, crept up behind people to fol low them (mostly because I can't get around them while they walk in the mid dle of the aisle) and they don't even know I'm there. I have to rev the en gine to get them to turn around an look, not that I'm trying to hurry them, but I really don't want to follow them to the other side of the parking lo t when they can just walk along the side of the aisle.

Not sure what that sound would be like. I knew a guy who had an old electr ic car from early last century. It had a gong bell on the front you could ring to alert pedestrians. They would drive it along the walkways at the c ounty fair, sneak up behind people and ring the bell to watch them jump!

--

  Rick C.

  -+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

On a sunny day (Sun, 30 Jun 2019 22:47:18 +0200) it happened Piotr Wyderski wrote in :

Because in the Netherlands they just taxed the sh*t out of gas for cooking and heating to protect the 'climate', and then 'compensated [1]' that by lowering the tax on electricity, basically forcing home owners to do away with their gas heating-cooking, moving to hot water systems in cities, and electric heating elsewhere ? Solar water heating? Nobody knows, building industry has a big foot in decision making here. Also the 'gas' we get out of the ground here caused a lot of earthquakes resulting in lots of damage claims.. So they will reduce natural gas drilling here (and export). So for those sneaky cheap electric drivers a new solution needed to be invented.

Pay per km...

They ARE clever ;-)

[1] just 20 % up for the energy cost this year for everybody. I am waiting for a 'thank you letter' from the polar bears.

Yes, it is a big mass manipulation show, climate is changed by earth orbital changes:

but taxing the weather and selling snake oil solutions is BIG business, invented by Al Gore IIRC.

The sad thing is that all little kids got brainwashed by that crap and now (clever as they are) decided to use the Fridays to demonstrate for the climate, LOL, so no school on Fridays, man if I could have thought of that in my school days I would play along too. :-)

Future?

MY opinion is that we should bring all energy sources online that we can, as far in the future after perhaps mass flooding and an other ice age will happen, mass migration, wars for resources and land, and less space and worse living conditions for humans will likely decimate the population.. So shutting down nuclear and coal plants and all that losing the knowhow for that technology, and relying on wind and water power alone, is a nono. I will stop the rant here, like in medieval times superstition, science manipulated by churches and rulers, will lead to dark times...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Plenty do not look before stepping off - they are too busy texting!

In the UK it is usually a cyclist that hits them rather than an EV.

EVs at low speeds in car parks are disconcertingly quiet when they move away almost silently with no familiar ICE starter motor noise.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

** I have seen that happen *once*, I had to scream at a young woman to prevent her walking straight in front of a taxi pulling into a rank cos she was texting while crossing a busy road. But it is far from the norm and not related to silent EVs.

** Cyclists hit lots of people cos they are both silent an incredibly arrogant.

** Exactly as I have posted already in this thread.

EVs and hybrids are a menace in the hands of careless drivers - especially commercial ones.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I don't understand. Why didn't the 50 dB noise the taxi was making warn her? Maybe we need to add noise to all vehicles to bring them up to a level that can't be ignored? Say 90 dBA?

When in DC and seeing a cyclist coming, I lean into them. I've been nearly knocked to the ground by them before. Time to fight back!

Yeah, just like ICE vehicles.

--

  Rick C.

  -++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

I don?t think the noise is an issue in Spain and Portugal- the tir es on cobblestones make more than enough of a racket. I bet the road surfac es are a lot more durable than asphalt too.

?Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
speff

Since AI is allegedly able to detect a pedestrian, that should be automatic.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

my girl's Hyundai has a rear cross-traffic detection system it's very good, almost seems to be able to see around corners and detect pedestrians coming not in direct LOS.

the system does what these systems probably should do which is alert the DRIVER. Sounds a warning tone beep beep beep, pedestrian detected 5 o'clock, watch out!

It's not really the pedestrian's job to dodge cars...

Reply to
bitrex

Pedestrians _will_ hear you with the noisemaker if you know they're there and you _slow down_ and are patient. And if the system alerts the driver to the ones behind them and they are patient and wait for them to clear. And I think even jerk-drivers for whatever reason seem to pay attention to an insistent computer-generated warning tone.

Reply to
bitrex