Film capacitor as power-supply filter

------------------------

** JL has no empathy for small components.

Few EEs do.

** Crikey....

** Nah - just a cloud of white, smelly mist.

** Seen that once or twice.

** Huh ?? Doubt that is true.

** Of course, that is why all electros have a pressure relief mechanism.

The plus lead plug can burst out, there are break away groves in the bottom of radial types and large cans have a plugged hole on top.

FYI:

One time, despite my strong advice, a customer refused to let me re-cap his 1906s Fender tube amp saying his available funds did not allow for that.

Two weeks later, while playing on stage, one of the HV electros puked its insides outside - covering the area around his amp with a thick fog.

Folk in the audience thought it was part of the show ...

All new electros were fitted the next week, with a promise to me never to doubt my warnings again.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Capacity is one thing, its guaranteed specification is another. For example, those:

can withstand 1.5V_NOM for 10s. This is his 150% stress. One can safely design for this overvoltage, not just rely on some built-in safety margin. If 900V nominal weren't enough, OTOH...

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Why not Octave (free) or Matlab (better)? It can plot, it can solve differential equations, it can compute FFT...

It is may favourite program for magnetics design if FEM-level modelling is not needed.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

--------------------

** Really don't think I wrote that and it sure ain't my opinion.

I treat polys with some caution, especially in regards to AC voltage capacity.

The data sheets lie, polyester and polycarbonate types blow up.

Supply frequency AC kills them, due to internal corona.

High frequency AC (say 10kHz ) sets polyester types on fire.

You can make a 100nF Green Cap smoke and explode with a 40W bench amplifier and a series inductor of a few mH operating at resonance.

Good cheap fun.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Nowadays you're supposed to warn people before showing distressing images like those, given the number of snowflakes there are these days.

If you've been emotionally affected by clicking on the above links, you can find support here:

There. That's the proper way.

Cursitor Doom

--------------------

----------------------------------

** OK - that's cute & funny.

** But that's not a bit funny.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Conservation of energy says that the explosion won't liberate more joules than I pushed into the cap. None of my bench supplies can deliver explosive amounts of energy in any reasonable time.

My cap test used a wonderful old HP 6212A power supply with the current limit set to maybe 10 mA. The cap never got warm.

I never worry about stuff like that. So far so good.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

One must die so the many may live. I think Spock said that.

Turn on the power supply and run to hide under the bed.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

That resistor pic is actually by Win, but he used my exploder machine.

Linked to from Im-a-sad-wuss.myomy

Have a good cry and move on.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

Then just use a car battery. Or better yet a 24V truck battery. :->

Cursitor Doom

IME some people seek truth, some want nothing to do with it. The latter are childish time wasters.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Truth, in this newsgroup, is designing electronic circuits that work.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

Old time electros were known as "confetti generators" for that reason. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I expect he was riffing of Caiaphas:

John 11:49-51: But one of them, Caiaphas, who was high priest that year, said to them, "You know nothing at all; you do not understand that it is expedient for you that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation should not perish." He did not say this of his own accord, but being high priest that year he prophesied that Jesus should die for the nation.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Scope trigger warning. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

No, seriously, abs max ratings can be way off in either direction. Like schottky diodes rated for 2 volts max reverse. Or DPAK mosfets rated for 160 amps and 160 watts.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

** Then there are desperate egomaniacs like Thornton, who try to bury the truth under huge piles of bullshit invented for that purpose.

Such people are pure evil.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

** A pretentious claim that simply has no basis in reality.

JL loves to post them, passes for wisdom on planet Larkin.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Design something that works. Post it here.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

** How to get rid of 10 pounds of ugly fat ?

Cut your head off.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison