Filibuster and Cloture

With a lot of important issues coming down the pike in the new year, I am wondering if we will be able to get much done. Even with a Republican majority in the Senate and House, the ability to stall undesired legislation in the Senate by filibuster could prevent a lot of things from happening.

In the past when one party used the filibuster, the other talked of changing the rules to allow a simple majority to end a filibuster. But to date, no one has actually done this. One possible reason is that a vote to change the rule could be filibustered itself. lol

I wonder where we are headed over the next four years.

--

Rick C
Reply to

One thing I think should be done is for Obama to use an executive order to appoint his choice of Judge for the Supreme Court, immediately, while he still has the power. He has already asked for the advice and consent of the Senate, and they have said and done nothing officially for six months. I think their silence should be considered de facto approval. Of course it will probably incite a riot in the legislature and they will file lawsuits and engage in other sorts of tantrums, or perhaps they could actually do their duty and bring it to a vote.

Then, when Republicans have essentially majority control over "everything", perhaps progressive democrats should just let them have free reign (except on some really serious issues), and give them all the rope they need to hang themselves and the rest of their ilk as their promises wither away and the economy tanks and their constituents might finally feel the full negative effects of their policies.

It might take four years for things to get so bad that the progressives might be able to regroup and start into a long-term rebuilding process that might finally see more compromise and cooperation. Or maybe it will result in a true revolution with pitchforks and torches and more modern weaponry as well.

God Bless America - it has already been damned...

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

He doesn't have that power, though he might attempt it anyway... he _is_ profoundly egotistically stupid.

He should also pre-pardon Hillaryous.

Those two acts should guarantee a super majority in the Senate in two years ;-)

Twisting a quote by my father, "I knew God had made a lot of stupid people, but I didn't know they were all Democrats". ...Jim Thompson

am

from

t to

te

He should pardon Hillary. And then Trump should proceed with investigation s so that the American people understand the full value of those pardons

ts

g",

pt

hang

he

hat

lt

y as

Reply to
djlocher56

You're mistaken. Harry Reid's Senate suspended the filibuster, allowing Obama to pack the federal courts with community organizers.

"Obama has already appointed 329 judges to lifetime jobs, more than one third of the judiciary, and they?re already moving American jurisprudence in Obama?s direction."

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Hopefully not a world where s.e.d becomes even more off topic. There's plenty of political newsgroups out there -- some of them even have 'politics' in their names, which you can search for in your newsreader.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Spoilsport >:-} ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

No pardon is necessary, but it is an historical fact that Nixon's firing of Archibald Cox (i.e. executive interference in federal prosecution) was a clear impeachable offense.

Rule of law, guys: we (USA) don't have a king. As for real investigation, 'so that the American people understand' that's only gonna happen with a SHOW investigation (which will get the FBI sued again; Steven Hatfill got about $4.6 million).

Reply to
whit3rd

Sorry Tim, that ship has sailed.

--