ferrite stuff

It would be cool to buy coax that has a ferrite-loaded plastic jacket, or to have ferrite-loaded shrink tubing. I can't find much of either.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Google : ferrite loaded coaxial cable

500.000 hits.
Reply to
Sjouke Burry

You want very good shielding / low transfer impedance? Would this do? .

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

baby-eating antarctic dragons

got 324,000 google hits.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

OTOH "ferrite loaded coaxial cable" (with quotes) returns only the 339 pages containing the complete phrase, and "baby-eating antarctic dragons" found zero results :-).

Reply to
Glen Walpert

You can buy self-adhesive ferrite magnet strip. You could wrap it round coax, just for a looksee.

Or wrap with magnetic recording tape.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Common terms would be ferrite sheath or ferrite jacket. So far I have only seen that in the audiophool world where claims said that certain cables have core material in the jacket. Of course it was like with certain miracle drugs which cost an arm and a leg.

If you really can't have a ferrite molded on I'd talk to custom cable manufacturers sich as New England Wire. If they can't do it they might be able to point you to a company that can.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I was thinking of adding common-mode impedance and killing g-line effects. A continuous version of the ferrite bump things.

There is emi-suppression shrink tubing, but I think it's carbon loaded, not magnetic.

What good does magnetic shielding ("Magn.screen" in your data sheet) do for a coaxial cable?

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Any cable that has a bend, is only approximately coaxial.

I was thinking of the old delay lines, rigid with balanced conductors (triax) that used a ferrite insulation. Can't find a single web reference, though. Analog delay lines (of the non-acoustic variety) seem to be underappreciated.

Reply to
whit3rd

I didn't expect much good from a spiral-wrap steel tape, but the measurement results *do* show a considerably reduced transfer impedance. Its shielding efficiency is better or equal to UT141 for almost all frequencies. It's better than anything I've ever seen below 1MHz.

There's a summary of methods and some measurements at .

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Ha!