Ferrite rod, side by side or in line

Why use any shape? FYI, a ferrite plate on either side of the board, with a width:gap ratio around 30:1 has an average permeability of ~10 for planar windings.

Still a glue step, but you can buy self-adhesive ferrite plates for EMI shielding. Which is exactly what you're doing here. :)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

There is no such thing as a "standardized module" in HV power supplies, you dope.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

That is a stupid remark.

And you are a total retard.

You're an idiot who knows nothing about the world.

NONE of the units are a commercial product and none are in the private sector. Every component was COTM. The end product the supplies went into are NOT a commercial product either.

Your grasp of the current world process hovers at nil.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You are an abject idiot. Sales reps? You are a clueless twerp, at best.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

OK... I was thinking the little E tabs would help guide the B-Field :^) Or fit into slots on the pcb. Still I don't know how you do anything for $0.03-0.05. George H.

Reply to
George Herold

ou

Photomutiplier power supply modules looked pretty much standardised to me.

I don't think that anybody had formulated an industry standard, but there w ere enough of them around that looked much the same to suggest that the pro cess of trying to poach other peoples customers with drop-in replacements h ad gotten most of the way there by a less formal route.

You look rather more like the dope here, but you have a bit too high an opi nion of your won expertise to realise quite how silly your pretensions look .

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

And your evidence for that claim is? Survivalists love them.

You'd like to think so, but I was security cleared for military work in my first job in Australia, and it had to be renewed when I worked for EMI Cent ral Research in the UK from 1976 to 1979 - I wasn't doing any military stuf f there myself, but my colleagues were. Military boondoggles did get discus sed.

Of course not. The supplier can charge a lot more that way, and the militar y can be sold a bill of goods about extended temperature ranges and tougher environmental conditions.

Dream on. You seem to swallow self-serving propaganda as enthusiastically a s Cursitor Doom. John Larkin lapping up denialist propaganda is our current standard for utter gullibility, but you do seem to be trying to compete.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

That was how it worked for us. You do seem to have worked in a strange environment, or maybe you were kept locked away so your silly ideas didn't embarrass your employers.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Not even those. You can buy one, but I can guarantee that it is not as good as those we made for the F-4 Phantom program. Our dividers are the most leak free units available.

And they are not standardized. The physical form factor is but the internals vary due to differences in PMTs.

And you looking at something and assuming that man has created or adopted a standard based on your pathetic observation is laughable.

You can't even rasp a 555 timer... and never will.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Right now, your clearance is ZERO and your capacity to get one again would be low to zero in my book simply by the way you spout off about it here. You are a risk, Chucko.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

And you charged the US Navy much more for them than they would have paid fo r inferior units that would have worked just as well. Pork-barrel economics

Different photomultiplier tubes can use different voltages. The main variat ion in photomultipliers is in the structure and number of the dynodes - box and grid, venetian blind and fast-focussed, with some fast focussed tubes getting up to 14 dynodes - but in general the supply delivers a single high voltage outlet and the divider chain manages the voltages applied to the d ynodes.

ed

Your ignorance is laughable, and you have too little appreciation of how li ttle you know.

I put one together once. The - slightly crazy - requirement was to find a s emiconductor-based timer that would be as stable as something crystal based - and the 555 wasn't remotely in the hunt. It did leave me well-informed a bout the deficiencies of the 555. Didn't stop me looking at the part from t ime to time in

1980's but it never came up to snuff, and after that there were plenty of b etter options.

I've got Hans Camenzind's book, which does spend a chapter on the 555, whic h was hugely successful when first introduced (but mainly because it had be en squeezed into an 8-pin package) but didn't age well.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

You have to be rather more political than I am to qualify as a risk.

The real problem for the security services would be establishing where I'd been and what I'd been doing for the last fifty years - 22 years in the UK and and 19 years in the Netherlands would make that task tedious and complicated.

It's not that I moved around much, but the international aspect takes time.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

No. the main variation is the leakage in the dynode, you stupid f*ck.

Ours was less than 3 picofarads per element. We spent well over a year finding a socket that did not leak and no other makers are using it.

In this realm, coffee breath can cause a failure. Our devices were as clean as it gets and our design is superior. That is why Japan puts OUR supplies in their F-4s.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You have no clue how a product which uses modular elements works. A rack full of gear rarely has components loaded in it all from the same maker.

You also appaerntly have no clue what goes into the making a modern circuit card assembly either.

Here's one...

If I buy a single computer, I get the cheapest price if I have them max it out at the factory than if I buy a big RAM upgrade after I get the box and do it myself because the upgrade RAM sticks are outrageously priced.

However, buy a xeon server blade from HP in qtys of a thousand or so. Then buy enough RAM to upgrade them all and install it in house and end up cheaper than having them do it because you get that RAM at the right price.

You are truly clueless, and deluded about folks ripping off the government all the time. You should go see a psych, child.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org wrote in news:5f4f5523-b40a-4504-ab19- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

No, dumbfuck... waiting for very differnet restrictions to be lifted.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You are a true idiot.

By what you say Fluke charges too much for a simple DVM.

The simple fact is that they do not.

I suggest you figure out what COTM really means.

And even before that. Back when the mil need drove the industry.

How the f*ck do you think Tektronix ever got where they are?

Military electronics drove the economy in this nation for a long time.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Dynodes don't "leak". They do draw current, because the "multiplication" pr ocess at each dynode means that more electrons leave the dynode than hit it .

There are a couple of different dynode coatings but pretty much all of them behave much the same way. RCA did have a GaP coating for the first dynode in their 8850 tube which had a very high secondary electron yield - 35 to 4

0 - but it was unique, very expensive and not copied.

That's capacitance, not any kind of "leakage".

EMI sold a PTFE based socket that didn't leak. Pity you didn't find it. If it took you a year to find something that didn't leak, you can't have searc hed all that expertly.

Seems improbable. Keeping high-voltage gear clean and non-leaking is a prob lem, but we bought pins in PTFE plugs (from element 14/Newark) that we coul d drop into drilled holes in printed circuit board and let them do the heav y lifting.

Perhaps. Keeping the logistics simple is a more likely explanation.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I wonder why DLUNO thinks that. It's the kind of unsupported claim that sui ts his rant, but it's totally implausible.

It doesn't have to, but a lot of them do.

That claim would surprise pretty much everybody who ever employed me.

If you have got as old as you are without working out that military procure ment is a device for government to rip off the taxpayer for the benefit of the military-industrial complex (who pay kick-backs to the politicians in g overnment) you really are truly clueless. Psychiatrists can't do much about stupidity.

Eisenhower complained about it in 1961, but you still haven't got the messa ge.

senal

Mary Kaldor was more forthright in 1981.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

How do you work that out?

The last big DVM I got bought was from Thurlby-Thandar, not Fluke.

Fluke were charging more for much the same specification ...

It might help is you spelled out the acronym.

Never did. The military never bought enough to do that.

By making good oscilloscopes. The ones I used weren't mil spec.

Twaddle. Bell Labs and communications electronics had more to do with it, and RCA (in the US) and EMI (in the UK) had a lot to do with it, satisfying the public demand to be entertained.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

You know nothing about HVPS.