Female IEC connectors on ATX power supplies

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 09:05:27 -0700 (PDT), Lasse Langwadt Christensen Gave us:

4k is (increasingly) where computer displays are going (and are already at). Show me this "quite a few" list of 4k monitors that are powered other than by AC line.
Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Umm, Nobody said anything at all about 4k. My LG IPS236 is powered by an external DC brick.

Reply to
Alexander Galaxy

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 12:18:43 -0700, Alexander Galaxy Gave us:

*I* said something about 4k, as in 4k is where PC displays are headed. You illiterate putz.

I have had one over a year now. You're an idiot.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

And I prefer them that way. Less heat inside the case, and a thin wire to the back instead of another stiff cord.

That's right.

Reply to
Alexander Galaxy

The original idea for those plugs was to allow for a very short cable from the computer cabinet over to the video monitor. This made a lot of sense in the styling of the original IBM PCs and some clones where it was conventional to have the computer right behind the keyboard with the monitor sitting on top of it.

As computers drifted more toward an upright cabinet off to the side or under the desk and as monitors tended to get bigger the solution was a little less practical and so monitors then came with a conventional power cord with primary end fitted for the region of use.

I have designed several pieces of AC power switching gear and used both styles of the IEC connectors that show in your linked picture. Power came into the unit on the male pinned IEC connectors and was routed through a circuit breaker and SSR and then the switched output connected to the female style IEC jacks. My switching product was then supplied with two load cords that had molded IEC type female and male plugs on the ends.

--
Michael Karas
Carousel Design Solutions

That was for semi-compatibility with AT powersupplies.

Jasen Betts

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 16:11:48 -0700, Alexander Galaxy Gave us:

You're a post editing putz.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Is this switching product available for sale? In some workplaces they don't let employees build their own mains equipment without also doing lot of paperwork, so a purchaseable relay or SSR with mains connectors would be surprisingly valuable in those organisations as it would save a lot of time and effort fighting the health and safety empire.

Reply to
Chris Jones

On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 23:44:53 +1000, Chris Jones Gave us:

UL and CE only allow self certification at well established companies.

The connector was so a single switch would cut power to both main "PC" elements. Nothing more.

And as was stated, the video cable connection now sends signals which displays obey and revert to standby mode as a result of.

Of course those IEC connectors are still in the IEC family and still available and still used.

Elna, for instance has entire 30 position power strips fitted with them and only the correct power cords can be used to fit out a rack of gear.

This happens a lot when the power in a system is other than the standard line feeds for a region.

It keeps dopes from losing their jobs by attaching gear using a cord on such a power strip and finding out the hard way that it is not standard line voltage. It is not as big of a problem any more because most rack mount devices have full range auto-switch front ends in them these days. But it does still pose a problem for those devices tied to a single line voltage.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Finally the correct answer.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

not true of course.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Actually the larger ones are powered by 19VDC. When they were powered by

12VDC I would add a disk card bracket and run the monitor off the computer's supply. Or install a barrel power jack.

Now, LCD monitors go into sleep mode automatically so no need to power them down from the computer's supply.

Reply to
sms

The monochrome monitor first supplies with the five slot IBM PC chassis (256KB of RAM, anyone) would catch fire without horizontal drive. I saw it happen to a couple monitors, from people who didn't believe that the monitor had to be switched off by the computer. That same monitor was also used on one of IBM's word processors. that was where I ended up with the monitor. To make matters worse, multiple chassis were used, under the same model number. A trick the was popular with General Electric TVs as well.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

256KB? They were only 4KB!
Reply to
JW

The PC-1 had 64K, iirc.

I used to mod the old monochrome/printer cards to make the parallel port bidirectional. Only took one wire.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Really? All I ever saw used 16Kb or 64Kb RAM. I still have a half dozen early motherboards out in the garage, somewhere. I converted a lot of 256 KB XT motherboards to 640 KB by adding the missing 74LS157 and soldering jumpers over the missing traces. Then I replaced the first two banks of 64Kb of RAM with 256Kb RAM.

I repaired motherboards, video cards and floppy drives, back when they had some value.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I think I mis-understood what Michael was saying. I thought he was referring to the monochrome display card, not the MB ram. Sorry Michael.

Reply to
JW

You're right. It was the monochrome monitor that could be programmed to catch fire, not the color monitor.

Reply to
krw

256K DRAMs were used in the PC-2 (5160), not the original PC.

That's wrong, too. The smallest IBM 5150 was 16KB (1 bank of 9, 16Kx1 DRAMs). The largest, motherboard memory only, was 64KB (4 banks of 9,

16Kx1 DRAMs). It would do 720K, with later BIOS (though officially only 640K). Mine originally had 48K but I very quickly maxed it out.
Reply to
krw

No problem. :)

Reply to