FedEx Invoicing

I like to do things on my computer as much as possible. FedEx started charging a pickup fee that can't be referred to the recipient even when they are paying for shipping. I noticed invoices arriving in the mail and I wondered what that was about. A phone call quickly cleared it up.

So now I have a mountain of paper (for small values of "mountain") and no easy way of keeping track of it. I went to their web site thinking I can download a PDF copy of it... but no, they offer .cvs, .xml, .xls and .xlsx, but no PDF. WTF? The CVS file is horribly hard to read with separate columns for things like recipient address, city, state, etc.

Am I missing something? Even the phone bill can be downloaded as a PDF file.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Interesting. Looked it up and indeed ...

Is that new? Last time they picked up here was a few months ago and there was no fee.

Fedex is IMO much better than UPS but they do have a way of neglecting local markets. AFAICT all places that use to take outgoing Fedex packages in our community no longer do so. Strange, considering it's pop

20,000 and has some industry.

Can't you convert a .xls into PDF with OpenOffice or Excel? OpenOffice even prints PDF natively.

You should see what VirginMobile considers a bill. That format is almost the definition of horrid. It can't even be reliably printed off their web site.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

You're not a Vendor Whisperer. FedEx wants you to switch to UPS.

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work!  See my website if you're interested

[snip]

Drop-off locations are all over the place around here... even drop-offs at USPS post offices. Maybe it's a Californica thing? ...Jim Thompson

It's just our town. They all closed. Usually I carry packages down to El Dorado Hills on the luggage rack of my road bike or mountain bike. As a youngster I have carried several crates of beer stacked and even whole color TV sets that way. The fat ones with lots of tubes in them.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

You don't have "packaging"/accommodation-address/PO_Box stores that have a USPS mail-drop, and UPS and FedEx drop-ship locations?

Every strip mall around here seems to have one.

Maybe you not observant enough ?>:-}

FedEx.com shows _75_ locations near Cameron Park, CA :-) ...Jim Thompson

Nope.

No malls out here. But we can get tractor oil, glow plugs, hydraulic fluid and horse feed at almost every street corner. Also gold panning gear.

Screen shot, please. And remember, Cameron Park ends _before_ the Atlantic Ocean.

It shows exactly three and those are all drop boxes. That's a wee problem if you are shipping a large prototype to a client.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

No little corner setups with a Chinese restaurant, a gas station and a UPS/FedEx packaging center?

A Tractor Supply Center just opened near me ;-)

If you scroll down, there's a couple labeled as "shipping centers" rather than drops. ...Jim Thompson

I've had really good luck with Priority Mail for small stuff. If I can afford a day of slack I just make up a label on my 'puter, pack the box, and stick it in my mailbox in the morning.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Nothing. We do have a UPS store but I only use that for notary services. Very friendly staff but I prefer to use Fedex for shipping, for various reasons.

That means a nice conservative town, I assume.

Not quite 75, I'd say :0-)

That's not Cameron Park. That is El Dorado Hills and where I schlepp packages via road bike. Requires a stiff climb in 1st gear, standing in the pedals if the package is heavy. On the way down you better hope that the brakes work.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg
[...]

In some areas that's not advised. It does get picked up but not necessarily by a white Jeep ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I thought you were in super physical condition ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

I think I am in decent shape. Which sometimes leads to problems, like when people wave off and won't come along as soon as they hear that the bike trip to Rancho and back is 43 miles. With an altitude difference of

1200ft and lots of up/down. Mostly up on the way back. What really throws them off is the stop at the "gas station" on the way back. Most athletic cyclists lose all endurance after a brewsky. No idea why.

This is my favorite method of travel around here:

Busted the seat tube, new one is shipping, can't wait.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

OT: I am turning 75, and largely due to your example, I bought a bike for exercise. I like it a lot, but I have a big question that I cannot find a satisfactory answer on google. There are so many opinions, and I don't know who is telling the truth.

What do you recommend for a chain lube?

SW

Reply to
Steve Wilson

My shipments were by overnight (which didn't have the fee) until this summer when my shipments were ground and I was hit with the fees. It happened to coincide with my credit card on file expiring, so they couldn't charge the fees to it. The above file says the fee is $3.00, but I am getting charged more and it keeps slipping up to $3.12, lol! I put in a dispute, we'll see what happens.

Not sure what that means, "all places that use to take outgoing Fedex packages". Do you mean the third party drop off shipping counters? Aren't they still around? A Kinkos is very convenient to me, so that works. I don't use UPS anymore. They won't drop off packages at my house and no explanation given. If I go to pick it up after the third delivery they've returned it already, even if I call and ask them to hold it. They lie to me about it and claim the shipper asked for all this. The shippers deny that.

It's not the format, it's the formatting. The XLS file is just a line of data stretching across four pages if I printed it. The invoices are neat enough that I can read them easily. Heck, I get a PDF proof of delivery off the web site and it even includes the signature!

Thanks for the warning.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Really? You can't get in your car to ship a package??? Maybe it's time to see someone about your "addition"....

--

Rick C
Reply to

Priority mail is the shit! It takes four days for ground delivery from Digikey because they are in the asshole of Minn. Well, maybe not the asshole, but the carriers drive through frickin' North Dakota.

Priority mail gets here in two days and is cheaper!

--

Rick C
Reply to

Lol! Unfortunately I have to spit every time I say UPS... ptooey-splat!

--

Rick C
Reply to

This isn't you and one of your packages is it? :-)

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Install pdfcreator (I assume you are using Windows - if you are on Linux, you should already have cups pdf installed). Then you can just "print" the webpage to a pdf file.

Or (as suggested by Joerg) use LibreOffice which will convert .xls to pdf.

Reply to
David Brown