Favourite references of analog electronics

NT probably has "Narcissistic Personality Disorder" in what passes for his mind.

Because he does seem to suffer from the disorder himself, he doesn't bother spelling out the phrase that this three characters sequence signifies to him.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Jiri Dostal, "Operational Amplifiers" A neat combination of arm waving and math, that covers everything.

HW Bode, "Network analysis and feedback amplifier design". Super clear explanations and conceptual rigour.

Floyd Gardner, "Phaselock Techniques".

Gray & Meyer 2nd Ed.

Pease, "Troubleshooting analog circuits".

Aldert van der Ziel, "Noise in solid state devices and circuits".

Merrill Skolnik, "Radar Handbook"

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(Coming to you from the Delta Sky Club at Miami Airport after a week in the Caribbean)

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

+1 on both of Terman's books
--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Thanks, Phil. There are a few I should have found by myself in there...

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Dunno about that. I've invented a number of what I think are new circuit topologies for front ends, photoreceivers, and automatic tweaking. Not as fundamental as the diff amp, but far from your pessimistic view.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Well, I have been known to be slightly pessimistic at times, so criticism accepted. :)

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Right. There are an infinite number of circuits out there waiting to be discovered. Or, in a new context, rediscovered.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

There's my 100 Good Books list with thumbnail reviews at

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That is very close to "everything that can be invented has been invented." attributed to Charles H. Duell, the Commissioner of US patent office in 1899.

See wackypedia for a discussion

That is based on profound ignorance and profound lack of imagination.

Having said that, if I was starting out again, I'd probably do something in the life sciences. That has a similar "frontier feel" that electronics/computing had half a century ago.

But, if you choose carefully, electronics and computing continue to have many fascinating topics :)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Indeed! I've got your 'Building electro-optical systems' book. Another thing I might have found out by myself if I'd paid better attention!. Thanks again!

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

READ what was said; CHAPTER NINE.

Page depends on edition. Radiotron Designer's Handbook Fourth Edition

1953. Chapter 9 runs pg.407-pg.427.
Robert Baer

Ahh..you must have same edition i have; Fourth Edition 1953.

Robert Baer

Then the PDF file is from a different edition.

Robert Baer

*Sigh* no! The PDF numbering begins from the cover (page 1) and sequentiall y numbers all the un-numbered pages of the printed version eg. preface, ack nowledgements etc..
--
Chris.
Reply to

"Second Thoughts on Radio Theory" by "Cathode Ray" covers some things about inductors that are rarely discussed elsewhere.

The Design of CMOS Radio-Frequency Integrated Circuits, by Tom Lee, is good if you are working on that sort of thing.

There are some notes by Barrie Gilbert about bipolar IC design, that are very good. I'm not sure whether they were published.

"Signals and Systems" by Oppenheim and Willsky is sometimes useful.

Some of the volumes in the series of books "The physical design of electronic systems" by Bell Telephone Laboratories are interesting.

The Wireless World "Circards" are interesting compilations of circuits sorted by function.

If the scope of your question includes websites then I would suggest microwaves101.com

Reply to
Chris Jones

"Signals and Systems for Dummies."

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Thanks Chris. The context of my request was analog electronics for instrumentation in particle accelerators. The usual problems are low-noise design, noise and impedance matching, transmission lines, transformers, splitters, combiners, filters, EMC issues and rad-hard electronics. A lot could be added to that, but there's only so much you can do in a two-hour lecture and the supporting twenty-odd page write-up.

Thanks, Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

W&T is a very good one, if you can only own one filter book.

W&T have been copying Geffe's (p.45) error for C4 and L4 in the DESIGNING W ITH PARASITIC CAPACITANCE section in every(?) edition. I think I've checked editions 1 through 4.

AADE filter software author Neil Heckt mentioned somewhere in the documenta tion that he never could get Geffe's p.45 formula's to work, and he simply implemented the absorbing capacitor with Norton Transfomers. That would hav e been Geffe's intent too, but somehow a mistake got worked in. I concurred w/ Heckt.

I found the following:

C4 = ((1-m)/L_B + 1/L_D)/(m*m*n*n)

L4 = (m*m*n*n)/(1/L_D + (1-m)/L_C)

If the filter is not a normalized one when computing any C value, then incl ude a denormalizing factor in the equations. The needed factor is the recip rocal of the geometric center frequency, w0^2. As in, for example:

C4 = ((1-m)/L_B + 1/L_D)/(m*m*n*n*w0*w0)

Because "new" L values only reference "old" L values, denormalization is no t necessary for the coils.

------- Side note: Neither W&T nor Geffe mention that the elliptic trap-trap configuration the y are fixing shouldn't be seen in the wilds. I would never do an odd order LC elliptic bandpass. I'd always go up to the next higher even order and do a zig-zag topology. I would still need to fix parasitic capacitance, but a n n=4 zig-zag BPF will have the same number of coils as an n=3 conventi onal BPF, where n is the low-pass prototype order. Caps are cheap, and a de sign that absorbs parasitic capacitance will have extra caps.

For a general parameter bandpass, the trap-trap series can unavoidably resu lt because of the specification. In that case, it (and any other hot nodes) will need to be fixed with the Norton transformers (and the rest of the "m anipulation toolbox") in the manner they show.

Reply to
Simon S Aysdie

No book does it all, and specialty books are always needed for deeper dives . What I crack open depends on the question. I probably open up Wes Hayward 's /Introduction to Radio Frequency Design/ more than any others. Egan's /P RACTICAL RF SYSTEM DESIGN/ has a lot of good stuff in it. Vizmuller's /RF D esign Guide/ has many practical formulas. Cripp's RF PA book is unmatched. Richard Daniel's /Approximation Methods for Electronic Filter Design/ gave me background insight into filter design, and software, in the most practic al and understandable form I've found. I could go on and on.

I am a bibliophile, and have a huge collection. Almost every book has some little key tidbit not expressed in others, or exceptionally expressed. At o ne time I was going to start a list of my books, and make brief notes about special things I liked about it. Never happened. lol

Reply to
Simon S Aysdie

C.L. Stong The Amateur Scientist

Not a analog electronics reference. But worth having for light reading.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster