Favourite references of analog electronics

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm somewhat troubled though. Electronics is a very dynamic subject, with plenty of people working on it, with fast exponential growth over an incredibly long period and with an enormous impact on our society. Yet, almost all of the references you have suggested are from the

1950's or even older.

I'm not saying they aren't good, but they are, well, dated. I suppose analog electronics is a mature subject, sort of like plumbing, or carpentry. I didn't see it like that, but now I wonder.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Op amps for everyone

I think it is a TI book

Freely downloadable

And from 2002 iIRC

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Third edition from 2009:

klaus.kragelund

The quarter inch jack is from the 1800s. We still use it. Some areas have changed greatly, some not so much. There's a big difference between image based on promo material & reality.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Hmm, no table of contents.

Greatly expanded, 609 pages! Includes PCB layout, filters, oscillators, and all kinds of other things. We have about 300 pages on op-amps, spread throughout the book, but covering quite different stuff.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

OK, what got me started was bank-winding inductors. That let me make a low-loss 1MHz inductor, that I could drive to 10kV with 50 watts of juice. I found lots of other stuff I wish I knew in the late 50s.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Terman's book.... Wonderful book for radio, HF and antenna stuff. Have used that book for years.

Skilling's electrical engineering book is also a good old book.

Reply to
boB

It's a mature science. There hasn't been a Miller or a Hartley or a Shockely for very many years. The only innovations these days involve making stuff smaller, more efficient and cheaper. Chemistry is so different in that respect; so much is still unexplained so it's not at all unusual for some new reaction to be discovered and named after its discoverer. Can't see that happening any more in electronics; it's all been done.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

,

Electronics is a technology, not a science.

None that Cursitor Doom knows about.

Blue LEDs are a little more recent, and were seen as deserving a Nobel Priz e.

ient > and cheaper.

And which of these describes the results expected from the work being put i nto quantum computing?

so

after > its discoverer. Can't see that happening any more in electronics; it's all

Cursitor Doom doesn't know much about chemistry either. Chemistry is well-u nderstood, but complicated. New reactions are discovered from time to time, but it's never difficult to explain what's going on after the event, and u sually equally easy to explain why nobody had looked at the particular area before.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydneyt
Reply to

Really modern electronics isn't much found in "references". It's in data sheets, appnotes, eval boards, magazines, papers, and sometimes specialized textbooks.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Not to mention the proceedings of the (US) national academy of science.

Purely academic at the moment, but a device with a gain of 29,000 (2.9x10^4) may generate industrial interest. I'll have to wait for the full paper before I can see whether it has enough bandwidth to be interesting.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

In no particular order:

Radio Designers' Handbook - F. Langford-Smith Radio Engineering - Terman Active Filter Cookbook - Don Lancaster Electronic Designers' Handbook - Landee, Davis & Albrecht B.B.C. training manuals - B.B.C. Philips Technical Review - Philips Wireless World - Iliffe

...and for interfacing with the real world:

Microphones - Robertson Table of Physical and Chemical Constants - Kaye & Laby

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Adrian Tuddenham

Some of these are good:

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

"No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the publisher."

That's a bootleg copy. Copyright # 2009, Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Yes, and that's sad. The voltage-regulator situation is a BLIZZARD of special-purpose gizmos, and maybe NONE of the linears are good for a parallel-five-of-em application, because of 'features' with side-effects.

You can't OR the thermal limits. You can't stabilize the output impedances. You can't customize the current limit. It's hard to use off-chip references. That's why some uA723 chips still are useful; the circuit nodes are available to work with (though thermal limits are a problem there...).

Reply to
whit3rd

Split up the loads! That makes it easier to find shorts.

Sometimes it's easier to design your own regulator. Like for something goofy like dropping 1.8 to 1.5.

Power opamps are often a good starting point.

 Click to see the full signature

Question for Bill: why is it that over 50% of your posts are personal attacks on others?

makolber

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

The quality of the posts here isn't great. And saying that somebody doesn't know much about chemistry isn't a personal attack.

It's not a positive observation, but not knowing much about chemistry isn't any kind of crime, and only counts as a personal defect if you express opinions about chemistry that might mislead (as Cursitor Doom did).

And where's your data-base of my posts, sorted on the basis of personal attack content? 50% seems improbably high.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

NPD