Favourite references of analog electronics

Except for AoE, which everyone knows and loves, what are your favourite references for analog electronics?

I like 'Analog Circuit Design, Art, Science and Personalities' from J. Williams as well, but I feel it's a bit whimsical.

The radlab series are good, but rather dated. Any others?

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Radiotron_Designers_Handbook_1954.pdf 90.6MB

See CHAPTER 9. TUNED CIRCUITS Page 448

This chapter has information I have not been able to find anywhere else.

In particular see EQ 3 on page 449. This shows the variation in resonant frequency with Q. I have not been able to find this anywhere else on the internet.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Reference Data for Radio Engineers, more for the wire and hardware tables than any deep theory.

Williams and Taylor filter book.

Active Filter Cookbook, Don Lancaster. Fabulously expensive, even used.

Phil Hobbs' book on electro-optical design, lots of optics and some very good electronics.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

I agree with John regarding "Electronic Filter Design Handbook" by Williams & Taylor

Hul

Jeroen Belleman wrote:

Reply to
Hul Tytus

Works fine for me, after having glued the pieces back together. (Thanks Steve!)

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

snip

every app note by Jim Williams and Bob Pease

Reply to
sea moss

Preview of TinyURL.com/hmnpj2rhttps: Error: Unable to find site's URL to redirect to.

Please check that the URL entered is correct.

Robert Baer

Can you check the chapter or page number and even the EQ number I can't find what you referenced. Page 448 and 449 is in chapter 10, but going there doesn't help me. I worked for a physicist years ago that told me the r changes the resonant frequency of an LC circuit. I was a little resistant, but was convinced. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I found it, CH 9, page 408, EQ 3.

Reply to
amdx

It?s page 449 of the pdf file

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

I'm a big fan of Terman's 1943 book, Radio Engineers Handbook. I dearly wish I had found it when I was a youngster. I have two printed copies, but also a pdf copy in my computer, so it must be available out there.

I'm also a fan of Snelling's Soft Ferrites book, hard to find, and Toumazou's current- conveyor book, The current-mode approach.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

There is such a thing as deriving it. Isn't the first order Taylor approximation to the sqrt of a sum as heavy as it gets?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Chasing down some of the authors in Art, Science by J. Williams is good. It depends what you want: I liked S. Franco for opamps, For optics there's our Phil H.

And M. Johnson's book, "Photodetection and Measurement"

For general building of instruments, There's "Building Scientific Apparatus"

And for the real optical/ mechanical aficionado J.V Jones "Instruments and Experiences:" is wonderful. Dover should do a reprint! AoE is somewhat unique, it's got breadth and depth.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Two versions:

23.7 MB Text Searchable

17.7 MB Not Searchable

used to have a pretty good archive of books, but they seem to have taken it offline in favor of selling sound equipment.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Function Circuits, Design and Applications, Wong and Ott..Published by Burr Brown.

A GREAT book about doing everything the hard way with just log apps, op-amp s, matched pairs of transistors, before the answer to everything was a micr oprocessor. Has beautiful, clear math and error analysis, with some obvious help from legends at BB and probably AD..

Steve

Reply to
sroberts6328

OP Amps, Design, Application, and Troubleshooting, David L. Terril.

2nd Edition. Nitty Gritty op-amp application, design, and applications for those of us without calculus. Backed up with scope traces of every worked example.

Steve

Reply to
sroberts6328

Throw in the two volumes of the US Navy buships Basic Electronics I and II. Not for most people on SED, but timeless if your a teenager. I still grab it to teach about waveguides when I need too. Superceeded by the On-line somewhat dumber down pdfs of Navy NEETs.

Steve

Reply to
sroberts6328

I'll add Linear Applications Handbook, by National Semiconductor (yeah, it's old, but it's RICH with ideas). I second the nomination of Radiotron Designer's Handbook, 4ed,. Langford-Smith, 1953 (L-pad and T-pad wiring wasn't easy to find anywhere else).

Honorable mention to every Tektronix manual with schematics. Honorable mention to Electronic Design's Ideas for Design columns, of the 1980s and 1990s, though that seems to be a dry well nowadays.

Reply to
whit3rd

You're thinking of Terman. Radiotron is basically transformers and tuned circuits.

However there are more modern treatments of attenuators. These have detailed equations to work with:

Passive Attenuator Tutorial about Passive Attenuators

Bridged-T Attenuator Tutorial for Passive Attenuators

L- pad Attenuator Tutorial for Passive Attenuators

Pi- pad Attenuator Tutorial for Passive Attenuators

T- pad Attenuator Tutorial for Passive Attenuators

Reply to
Steve Wilson

What is it that particularly appeals to you about this book?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom