Faster than 2n7002

Cool part. 20V enhancement N-ch MOSFET.

Vgs.th(100uA)

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Nice- worth having some on hand just for the low voltage drive. 5.3 ohms Rds(on) with 1.8V drive.

Thanks!

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Yes, very nice. Only $0.18 at Digi-Key. But what is that package, damn it's small!

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

That series gate resistor may trash the speed. The data sheet suggests that it does.

I've made a pulser that uses two 2N7002s in parallel to drive a 1:1 transmission line transformer. It will make a 50 volt pulse into 50 ohms with rise/fall times below 2 ns. You've just got to drive the gates hard.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I was thinking it's faster for nano-power one-cell stuff, where picofarads matter. I realize my subject line wasn't specific enough.

I found the FET looking for a realllyyyy low-voltage part for low-voltage fun, but, after our thread on the 2n7002, I thought it was also nifty to see built-in ESD protection.

I had a customer kill some BSS138s on a board's internal nodes last year, mishandling. ZAP! Who expects electro-static discharge there? But, the boards died, and a protected FET would not have failed.

Nice trick.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Yes, Rohm does that a lot. Fortunately, with SMD it's just a footprint.

I like the idea of .8v logic, oscillators, (noisy) amplifiers, etc.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

"Fast" begins at 1 ns. "Really fast" at 100 ps.

Having grown up in New Orleans, and living in San Francisco, I tend to forget that some places have ESD.

Most mosfets will switch a lot faster than their data sheets imply.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Sure. Here's a beefier, 50V part, ESD-protected, Vth

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Nice to see some options that trade off higher Rds(on) for input capacitance, but still have modern low Vgs(th) in the 1V range.

Last time I needed one, all I could find readily was the little guys that can switch amperes at low voltage but have high gate capacitance.

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Also, isn't the resistor in the wrong place? Like external gate pin, resistor, zener? That way there is less chance of frapping the protecton zener.

Reply to
Robert Baer

That's a fairly standard size - still within range of Press-n-Peel Blue and a cheap laser printer for hobbyists.

After years of building bulky, hot, expensive, fragile boards from Radio Shack and Electronics Plus, I like the idea of fitting a 50W switching power supply onto a 1" square board.

--
I will not see posts from astraweb, theremailer, dizum, or google
because they host Usenet flooders.

On a sunny day (Wed, 15 Apr 2015 14:58:10 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Walk a mile in my shoes....

I draw 1 inch sparks in the supermarket, to the point that it hurts. Did not crash the cash register yet.

I once designed the data network for a large supermarket chain, zeners everywhere.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

The real reason for those ESD-safe wooden shoes?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

On a sunny day (Thu, 16 Apr 2015 08:25:59 -0400) it happened Spehro Pefhany wrote in :

I dunno, something the soles are made of..

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

He's Dutch?

Reply to
John S

Yea, that was the trend for MOSFETs anyways, but the newer devices have lower gate capacitances.

Martin Riddle

I always thought that electronic assembly should be done by naked girls sitting in tubs of tepid water.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Yes. But the resistor itself might get vaporized or punched through by an ESD pulse. So, why have the resistor at all?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Nononononono. Girls in hot tubs are far more dangerous than mere lightning. Ask anyone, especially wives. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The 2N7002 still looks good for a lot of uses.