fast edges

A these speeds you are mostly talking about integrated versus discrete circuits. Do any of the most recent fpga's meet your needs? They are in 28nm which is blazingly fast but I'm not sure if the i/o would keep up > > Bob

I'm after the fastest possible pulses to drive an electro-optic modulator, with a goal of making light pulses in the 10-100 ps range.

We are using the SERDES blocks of an Altera part to make fast LVDS edges, but the edges are quantized to the SERDES PLL clock, currently 1 GHz. The fastest stuff that I've seen coming out of an FPGA is around 60 ps rise/fall, low level LVDS. Delay temperature coefficients are terrible in FPGAs, so even if you can make fast edges, they drift all over the place.

This is interesting, if expensive.

auch interessant:

schönes Wochenende, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

The clock-to-output prop delay is 10 ps typ. That's mind boggling. Light travels across the width of the chip in more time than that.

 Click to see the full signature

Ooohps, this one went wrong...

was meant as a email pointer to a colleague until we meet on Monday :-) Thunderbird is !x%$'!!! aargh!

BTW I'll play this weekend with your ramp generator (the one with the AD8009 bootstrap). I have a new Altium Designer installation and choose it as an exercise.

Altium - Camtastic - pdf - offset film from nearby print shop - empty board (self etched & drilled) in a long afternoon.

regards, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Am 09.02.2013 21:51, schrieb John Larkin: ,

travels

And the rise/fall time to the decision point would be 6 ps of this. That means, the "intent" to produce a different output level must travel in 4 ps.

Looks weird. But interesting, nevertheless.

Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

That seems to be a hazard of using the same program for mail and newsgroups.

What's the application? Fast ramps are fun; fast ramps at 10-12 bit linearity are even more fun.

The inductance of the ramp cap can be an issue if the discharge switch turns off too fast. Sometimes I use a couple of caps in parallel, or slow down the turnoff drive somehow. 1 ns speeds are interesting, but 100 ps is sort of a Chuck Yeager style "wall in the sky."

At some point I got tired of ferric chloride stains on my person. I just breadboard on copperclad, or order a board and do something else until it arrives.

 Click to see the full signature

travels

If you fudge the threshold definitions a little, you can claim negative prop delay.

 Click to see the full signature

travels

Which sort of suggests that there may be a bit of specsmanship at work.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

travels

Resublimated thiotimoline semiconductors?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

travels

Naaaah! Just resublimated BS. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

travels

Or some imperfectly matched cables.

 Click to see the full signature

Am 10.02.2013 02:08, schrieb John Larkin:

,

or a missing 0 in the tpd spec.

8 risetimes through a master-slave FF seems ok.
Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

travels

Maybe they specced the unpackaged die.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

Light travels

travel

negative prop

I suspect that this one got past you.

You must not be a Dr. A fan.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

hve you installed "xchm" or is help broken in lyspice+wine too?

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

and

I have tried installing xchm and both are still broken. It is very possible i did something wrong though.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

from your descriptions it sounds kind of messed up.

you could try a fresh install by temporarily moving your ~/.wine directory and reinstalling ltspice, if help and works in the new install it's probablly something messed up in your wine install.

also test www with help -> about -> linear-tech-website

--
It's called a dead hammer because it's got shot in the head
Reply to

I used chm2pdf to convert the LTspice help into a nice indexed PDF.

Better, in fact than LT's own PDF offering.

Xchm doesn't always work with some later editions, beyond the first page.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Fred Abse