Fast comparators

My fave comparator in that class is the LM319. Dead useful.

Yeah.... well sort off...

Comparator specs are the usual cheat sheets. Sure, if you have 200mV of overdrive which is maybe ok for a data receiver, but for use in an A/D, its usually crap, like at say making a 1mV decision....or 100uV. Then its orders slower...

Well...shit rain here, again in Blighty...

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

Sure. I'm not normally trying to measure 100 uV in gigahertz bandwidths though....

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Wow, I've got to read most of that... (we're getting fiber at work and the internet is ~1/2 f'ed up. which is not such a bad thing!) So here are some nice pulses.

This the spad baised 5V above breakdown. ( At lower voltages it's not as snappy.) I'm triggering off a down stream comparator, chan 2. (3' of coax and 10ns delay.?) The threshold is ~100mV, (there's occasional fat pulses, which must be events during the recharge time. ~1us,) But most of the time they are amazingly consistent pulses. (for one more familiar with pmt's) About 1/2 the pulse in the picture are dark count and the other real. I've got tape and boxes and... I still have to close all doors and turn off lights to measure dark count, OH! I've got this pcb with heater on one face, I bet the light's leaking in through the edges, photons are tricky things, well I guess there's just a lot of 'em. :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

If totally irrelevant to the universe of discourse.

Tim Williams, not being British, won't have been exposed to the "Just William" books, but he's playing the part to perfection.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to