fake Edison lamps

The LED Edison lamps are cool. They seem to have a bridge rectifier and a current limiter chip in the base. Does anyone know how the fake filament parts are constructed?

Good grief, hundreds of LEDs and all that glass and stuff, for around $3.

Series string of LEDs on COG (chips on glass) which is then coated with a phosphor:

This is what a filament looks like at 5% of maximum power:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

tirsdag den 14. juli 2020 kl. 02.45.27 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

awful lot of manual work compared to this,

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yes imagine the cost if it were "Made in the USA"

Reply to
Tony Stewart

then the first human hand to touch any part of it would likely the one taking it out of the box and installing it

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I can get you a metal enclosure with hundreds of tiny things in them for le ss than a dollar! The tiny things will be beans, or corn, or peas. Lots o f things are very inexpensive to make in large quantities. When you think about it, it's actually amazing how cheap it is to raise crops on such larg e areas of land, make sure they get proper irrigation and nutrition so that the products can provide proper nutrition to us.

Pretty cool, no?

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

I've been meaning to ask: How much does a traditional incandescent bulb cost in the US?

Here in India where labour is still cheaper than in the West, a

100W bulb cost 10 Indian rupees for decades and has recently increased to Rs.15 which, at the current rate of exchange, is about US$0.20. A 9W LED bulb is $1-1.20. 20W 4-ft tubes are around $3-3.50 including the holder bracket.
Reply to
Pimpom

Yeah, and sandpaper: thousands of matched garnets, all that high-tech adhesive and special paper, for around $1.

Reply to
whit3rd

That's nothing. I can buy billions of ohms for a few pennies, all in a little box.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

Classic incandescents are illegal here now, but there are a lot of loopholes, for "specialized" ones. Looks like $1 to $2 mostly, on Amazon.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

------------

** And ALL of them use 5 to 20 times their purchase price in electricity during their expected life.

Do the math.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Incandescent light bulbs used to be $0.25 at their cheapest when they were common. A 9W LED bulb would only be about a 40 W incandescent bulb. I nev er buy anything that small. Most LED bulbs here are closer to $10 and up. Maybe $8 or even $6. I used to pay $10 for a box of 10 4 ft fluorescent b ulbs, but that was 20 years ago. I buy 4 ft LED fixtures now.

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

Walmart has them.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

Oh, most people have switched to LED even though incandescents are not outlawed yet. I was just curious about the price difference with Western countries. Incandescents still have niche applications such as when the light *and* heat they generate is used.

The 4-ft tubes I mentioned are also LEDs. Fluorescent tubes cost half of that. Most new houses use recessed LED fixtures rather than incandescent-style bulbs and tubes.

Reply to
Pimpom

LED bulbs used to be roughly in that price range here too. Things changed after the central government launched an awareness campaign by bulk ordering LEDs and made them available for $1. The 4-foot tubes I mentioned are also LEDs. Fluorescent tubes cost half of that.

Reply to
Pimpom

Especially if you have to pay for the electric energy yourself :-)

In some countries a lot of people make their own connections to the LV lines and some directly to the distribution transformer LV side. How many of these user lines are actually metered ?

Reply to
upsidedown

y during their expected life.

There is some irony in that the fluorescent tubes are nearly as efficient a s LEDs. I am happy to switch when the fluorescents give up the ghost becau se the LEDs last longer. I probably have a dozen of these fixtures around and get tired of keeping the bulbs working.

I installed an LED upgrade to one of the old metal fixtures. The people se lling them seemed to have thought of everything. The LEDs are on aluminum substrate circuit strips about a foot or so long. Two or three of them fit nicely in the fixture along with the power supply. The circuit strips wer e held in place with magnets, so no drilling required. The only problem wa s there was no diffuser and each LED was a separate point source of light t hrowing dozens of shadows on the work surface. It was really weird and I c ouldn't stand it. The power supply crapped out after a couple of months an d even though the guy sent me a new one, I never used it again. The LED fi xtures are down to $20 buck or so and it's just not worth the tiny savings to deal with those shadows.

Very strange effect.

At one time Costco had LED fixtures with a motion sensor. I put up three o f them in my cousin's basement and they work great! The light comes on bef ore you get to where you could turn it on with a pull cord and they put out a lot more light. But I haven't seen those in the store for a long time. They cost maybe $5 more but were well worth it.