fairly OT : glass doors

???? We're talking about air temperature and its variation with the weather, seasons and times of day.

Reply to
Pimpom

When it's so cold (as well here in the far North), the local temperature differences can be several degrees C (about double that in F).

Today, I had a difference of 5C between two thermometers checked to be similarly calibrated, on different sides of the house.

--

-TV
Reply to

How about edge lighting it with the tritium dots?

You'll probably get into code violations.

Reply to
krw

The rule on weather stations is to get all of 'em into the SAME protection, not to put some next to buildings. Yes, that means more extreme swings than sheltered sites, because it means higher bandwidth (quicker response).

The stations are manufactured, but the extremes are measured. Try not to confuse those two M-words in future.

I've stood on a mountaintop, and believe me, the effect of a roof can be a BIG temperature effect. Treetops are a kind of roof, and so is an adjacent building.

Reply to
whit3rd

They aren't very bright, and the clear glass will TIR the light without deflecting it out.

Code?

--
John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

As in a world of hurt if someone gets injured.

Reply to
krw

does the US wiring code really prohibit an on-off switch followed by a full/dim switch?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I was specifically referring to the leakage path around the switch but in more general terms, everything that touches the wiring system has to be listed. Kludges are frowned upon.

Reply to
krw

I can't see how putting a film cap across a switch in a junction box is going to hurt anybody. Slamming into a big sheet of glass in the dark might.

--
John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

1) unlisted device 2) current leakage path around a switch 3) wet room 4) NEC doesn't cover a stubbed nose or toes.
Reply to
krw

They would have to be glow-in-the-dark decals, strontium aluminate to hold up all night.

--
John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

To dump needlessly onto almond groves, right?

Suck-o-dat river dry. Doesn't matter if you really need it or not... law says it ours, so we're takin' it!

Reply to
Long Hair

The real test would be to place a kill-a-watt tracking switch in the line *before* the dimmer/lamp circuit, and see what is actually getting used at each set point.

Reply to
Long Hair

snip

Where is the wall switch at that turns it on? Or if a permanent dimming is desired, place a pre-set dimmer right on the line and hang it inside the wall.

More likely the wire that feeds the "overhead" portion of that stall is actually accessible in a nearby verticle wall. So if one is not present, you could add a switch/dimmer.

Reply to
Long Hair

Don't forget elevational differentials.

The temp "station" might be on a TV station's antenna mast.

Three miles away, at about a 150 foot drop into the "valley", the same "region" sees a lower temp. My cell phone is usually off a few.

I have a little IR reader though, and pointing it at a dormant building wall gets me a good number.

Reply to
Long Hair

I was not so lucky. A dimmer that ran 2 lamps that I had replaced with LEDs took out both LED replacements. I replaced the dimmer with a standard switch. Don't like dimmers anyway. Have had a couple that were very noisy in the HF radio band.

Reply to
Ingvald44

XY self-healing film cap, spec'd to go across the AC line.

That's the whole point!

?

5) Compulsive need to follow rules.

There's a good bumper sticker

QUESTION AUTHORITY

which inspired a better one

IGNORE AUTHORITY

--
John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

I just installed a 5-light fixture in another bathroom, and used dimmable LEDs, with the old dimmer. Works file. Every time I've used dimmable LEDs with an old cheap triac dimmer, it's worked fine.

I do buy the better LED lamps, like the Philips.

--
John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

There's a good book about a person without whom this nation may never have formed as it did.

Long Hair

Defeating the switch. Using it in a way it wasn't designed to work, thus invalidating it's listing.

You don't have running water in your bathroom? This is an outhouse?

Where the NEC is concerned, sure. Fire and electrocution are nothing to mess with.

Go directly to jail. Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200.

Reply to
krw