Factory Mutual Approvable Sealed Lead Acid Battery

Does anyone know of a 6V 12Ahr Sealed Lead Acid Battery that has been able to pass FM's or ATEX short circuit temp. rise test?

I designed in a Diamec DM6-12, but when Factory Mutual was testing the short circuit temperature rise of the battery within a few seconds the battery becomes an open circuit and it has only raised 3 degrees C. (There must be some mechanical fuse-able link inside) So they can't actually test an internal cell short circuit fault from the outside of the battery.

FM doesn't want to cut open the battery and actually test the internal cells for heath risks, which I understand.

If you have any ideas on a new battery, that would help me out a lot.

Thanks

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Err...without protection, the batteries will rapidly get so hot as to boil H2SO4, seriously melt the plates and rupture the case or explode. Is this "short circuit" test (a) an *actual* bus-bar type of a "test" (which is the height of stupidity and ignorance), (b) a "long term" high current test (say 10-20 seconds, or (c) a heavy load test (say 100-150 amps) similar to the load testing in the automotive and electric wheel chair industries?

Reply to
Robert Baer