Extract Free Elections From Earth

Yeah, but I bet their TV is gas powered!

--

Rick C
Reply to

Oh they are special alright.

Reply to
jurb6006

If the power company burns gas it is. I think they burn coal though so mayb e it is coal powered.

In fact anything you burn for fuel is actually gas. The energy comes out in the for of gas, even from coal. The only other possibility is that this ar ea is on the PASNY grids which means it might be hydroelectric.

Years ago I was offered gas run AC units, but I would have to rip them out of the walls of an apartment building. I passed but actually I would like t o have one. However, gas does not power the blower and while you can heat w ithout a blower it is almost impossible to cool without a blower.

Now that I think of it you could use a gas powered small engine to run the blower but you are adding a bunch of moving parts. Not a good thing enginee ring wise. Simplest way would be a little two stroke, but how do you start it ?

If it isn't one thing it is another.

Reply to
jurb6006

Trump is a liberal. You are an ultrasickening liberal.

Reply to
krw

Electrons in gas molecules have left-hand threads. Electrons in water molecules have right-hand threads.

Reply to
krw

Bullshit (not everything). Eg. carbon evaporates at 3900K and charcoal burns a lot cooler than that.

Jasen Betts

Carbon does tend to burn first to carbon monoxide, and then that burns to carbon dioxide.

One would expect to see an oxygen monolayer on even very hot solid carbon which would rapidly convert to a - briefly - adsorbed layer of carbon monoxide before the carbon monoxide monolayer got replaced by more oxygen.

Chemical kinetics is a fun subject, but it's not cheap to watch what's going on.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

So named, because they aren't worth a whit? ;-)

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Electrons in liberals, are cross-threaded...

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Cross" is right!

Reply to
krw

We have a lot to thank Mr. Whitworth for.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

When coal is heated it releases a mixture of gases that burn. Not evaporated carbon, but H2, CH4, CO etc.

Reply to
Rob

Coal is mostly carbon, with some water. There's still a bit of residual hydrogen, but not much.

Seams of bituminous coal squeeze out firedamp, which is mostly methane. It has got most of the way to graphite, but occasional hydrogen atoms still hang to bits of the fused benzene ring structures that move on to become graphite.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Electrons do have spin, but quantum theory demonstrates that an electron ca n only have two possible values of spin, and only one at time.

Most electron spins end up paired but free radicals (which are more radical than liberals) can have unpaired spins and can be subject to electron spin resonance spectroscopy.

Granting Mike Terrell's rather reactionary politics, there wouldn't be much point in trying to subject him to electron spin resonance spectroscopy, bu t since there's usually a travelling wave tube microwave amplifier in the s pectrometer, some excessively liberated radical might be tempted to run the experiment anyway.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Rob

Coal does not burn like wood or other fossil fuels. It has a much lower hydrogen content as the carbon is mostly in fused aromatic rings... meaning a *lot* more carbon than hydrogen. So while heating coal to the combustion point will produce some gasses, mostly coal will burn the carbon.

Wood burns by breaking down the largely hydrogen, oxygen and carbon contained in the typical biologically created compounds into simpler molecules which form volatile gasses. These gasses then burn making the pretty flames. Once those compounds have all been burned what remains is "charcoal" which is not entirely unlike coal (hence the name) and burns without giving off further flammable gasses.

These coals burn at higher temperatures than the gasses giving off a lot of radiant heat rather than producing hot gasses which exit the chimney without producing so much heat in the room. Starting with coal bypasses the gas generating stage and produces radiant heat from the start.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Most of the undesireable compounds can be removed using microwave heating: which evaporates out the water, sulfur, etc. The final result is fairly close to pure graphite (carbon) depending mostly on exposure time.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

About as much as Lucas would be, in the United States.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Whitworth standardised screws nuts & bolts. Thank god.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Not in the United States.