exploding wirewound resistors

To see if the part specs are real, and to see how much margin we have. Resistor failures might have serious consequences to some of our customers.

I have seen wirewound resistors die from thermal fatigue, well within their power specs, so I might pulse them hard for a couple of months and see if they fail that way.

We have seen those metal-case wirewounds fail from fatigue. We replaced them with these, on heat sinks:

Of course, that's not a big issue on a one-off test rig.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Damage to caps, or flashtubes?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On a sunny day (Tue, 19 Sep 2017 12:17:45 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Yes that is nice stuff, but those cemented ones as I use are very sturdy, although indeed in old TV sets (tube age) where those were used in series with heaters or power supply for example, they were a common fault source. At least they are explosion protected (by the alu casing). When your PCB thing explodes the parts will fly all over the place? Just to be nit-picking..

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 19 Sep 2017 12:22:20 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Probably both, I remember (eighties last century) working through those flash tube (BIG ONES) datasheets to get it right, was for a flash in top of a tower.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Yes, they work a lot better with steady power dissipation. Spikes of heat break them. The app where our big ones failed, they were acting as sort of a pre-regulator to a big power supply, bang-bang mode.

It's only 80 joules so I expect superficial wounds.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

We got some TE 3-watt parts, 0.33R, SMW3 series. I kept increasing joules per shot. At 10.8J, the resistor went POP but kept working. The case has a small crack on top and little puffs of smoke came out every pulse.

It seems to have run out of smoke now. Still works.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I worked on a kilojoule flash once. It was a couple hundred pounds of oil caps and power supply on a cart. It was used to develop Kalvar film, which is (or was) diazo stuff embedded in plastic. A big light flash makes microbubbles, which scatters light.

Geez, I have done so much weird stuff.

lunatic fringe electronics

On a sunny day (Tue, 19 Sep 2017 12:48:27 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

What had been bothering me is minuscule pieces of metal flying about and shorting other critical electronics, perhaps control circuits or some overload protection. I have many modules from ebay that when inspected with a magnifying glass, show minuscule pieces of solder stuck to the board, when that comes lose and starts traveling, then no telling what can happen. Since that day I inspect every board with a magnifying glass.

Jan Panteltje Low land Technology pick-a-second timing

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

There's also non-magic smoke.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It's fun and pays the bills.

lunatic fringe electronics

On a sunny day (Wed, 20 Sep 2017 07:31:23 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

It is truely 'low land' here, and the French call it Pays Bas, last week I was driving to a city next to here and noticed the fields had water, and the irrigation canals next to it were nearly overflowing, water on the road too. The county fired up the old steam powered pumps to get the water level down.. rain rain rain. And I am writing soft with .2 s resolution for my drone.

No pico stuff. But,. the 'regulators' declared about 50 % of the country of limit for drones.... It is not fair. We need a revolution, this hinders inventivity and progress.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I'm conjecturing that the nichrome element is now nestled in a little coccoon of carbon, not much left to boil out.

I need a MELF wirewound, exposed wire on the outside and ceramic inside.

lunatic fringe electronics

Den onsdag den 20. september 2017 kl. 17.23.27 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Ah yes. And I have invested in weird things. Owned a couple of shares of Kalvar at one time. Oh well that is how one learns.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I emailed them about joule rating, or samples to test.

The coating looks organic. Maybe they would sell me uncoated ones.

lunatic fringe electronics

Then you'd get damp ingress, corrosion etc. You need to go back to the 1920s for uncoated resistors.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

0.33 ohms of ceramic and nichrome shouldn't mind a little humidity.

lunatic fringe electronics

OK, I give up on surface mount. I blew the top off the 5-watt power-pad Vishay at 20 joules. The gianytish TE 5-watt part failed overnight at 0.05Hz and 21 joules per shot. It blew a tiny hole in the side and shot some goo out.

My production folks will grudgingly allow me to use an axial leaded part; I'll buy them some cookies or something. I tried a 0.1R 3W axial wirewound; it worked for a while at 40J but made a smellable event every shot; it failed open at 50J. I've ordered some vitreous enameled parts to try (and bigger electrolytics!) Maybe the glass coating will hold the molten nichrome in place, or at least conduct heat a little better than the smelly organic coating.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Why not use SMs in parallel?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

No. The higher the R the more vulnerable it is.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr