experience

I was talking to a young engineer who is assuming that he has to get a lot of experience before he can design stuff. That got me thinking about experience. It teaches a lot of people the wrong lessons:

  1. What worked before, by self or by other people in books, is what we should do now.

  1. If something didn't work once, never try that again.

  2. Things improve in small steps.

Seem to me that experience is most valuable when it helps you to do things that you have never done before.

So I'm going to throw the kid into the deep end, make him do something hard and creative now.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

One thing that comes with experience is knowledge. And more important, relevant knowledge. One can't always get the needed knowledge from Google or Wikipedia. If he flounders, maybe throw him a lifeline? Oh, and give him a copy of AoE. :-)

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Winfield Hill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

get

thinking

Founder. The term is founder. Then, some idiot came along and spoke about the fish laying (or flopping) on its side. And it got into usage. So eventually both were 'recognized' as correct. Does not make it truly so though. Just like folks referring to a cell as a battery when only one CELL is present.

So, it's OK, Win. It is 'considered' correct. But the right term... the truly correct term... is FOUNDER.

I am sure your ribs will not bruise.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I have come to the opinion that the most important skill an engineer possesses is the ability to know when something is bad, when it is good , when it needs improvement and when it needs to be abandoned. Everything else can be overcome. This is a very difficult skill set.

It really is not that different than the gambling song about hold'em fold'em

Reply to
blocher

Along this line it is important to define (I believe in writing) the criteria on which something is deemed adequate.

Reply to
blocher

snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org wrote in news:qnl2jq$kvl$1 @gioia.aioe.org:

as

After all.... just look at the topic header.

Folks bash the grammar guys. What you should all be doing is embracing it, not the stupid millennial dork's text language and declarations of laughing out loud or rolling on floors.

Good thing folks cannot write out the texts from speaking in tongues.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It is a good starting point at least until you can think of something better.

Depends why it didn't work. Our lab had a black museum of things people who should have known better made that self immolated on first use.

Incremental improvements to an existing design can get you a long way

100 independent 1% improvements is 170% better than the original. The Japanese car makers demonstrated this approach convincingly.

Even so you are looking for what is this problem most like based on past experience and similar problems you have solved or seen solutions to.

That's a bit harsh. Like asking someone to run a marathon or swim the channel but without bothering to do any fitness training first.

Challenging problems are fine but they need to be chosen so that the student or apprentice you give it to stands some chance of delivering.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Referrences to gambling is what got us the shitpot despot we have now.

I prefer Peter Gabriel and "I Have The Touch". (Security Album).

[Verse 1] The time I like is the rush hour, 'cause I like the rush The pushing of the people, I like it all so much Such a mass of motion, do not know where it goes I move with the movement and I have the touch [Verse 2] I'm waiting for ignition, I'm looking for a spark Any chance collision and I light up in the dark There you stand before me, all that fur and all that hair Oh, do I dare? I have the touch [Chorus] Wanting contact, I'm Wanting contact, I'm Wanting contact with you Shake those hands, shake those hands Give me the thing I understand Shake those hands, shake those hands Shake those hands, shake those hands Shake hands, shake hands [Verse 3] Any social occasion, it's "Hello, how do you do?" All those introductions, I never miss my cue So before a question, so before a doubt My hand moves out and I have the touch [Chorus] Wanting contact, I'm Wanting contact, I'm Wanting contact with you Shake those hands, shake those hands Give me the thing I understand Shake those hands, shake those hands Shake those hands, shake those hands Shake those hands, shake those hands [Bridge] Pull my chin, stroke my hair, scratch my nose, hug my knees Try drink, food, cigarette, tension will not ease I tap my fingers, fold my arms, breathe in deep, cross my legs Shrug my shoulders, stretch my back, but nothing seems to please [Outro] I need contact I need contact Nothing seems to please I need contact Oh, I need contact Yes, I need contact Tact-tact-tact-contact Tact-tact-tact-contact Tact-taca-tact-contact
Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Throwing someone in at the deep end can be successful, but it can be a failure.

A company I worked at (Cambridge Concultants) used to throw its engineers into very unfamiliar territory: the deep end of customer engagement, proposal writing and project management. It usually worked well because: 1 there was a "project book" outlining the - principal stages - what needed to be considered at each stage - sets of sample legal clauses - indications of what had and hadn't worked in the past

2 an atmosphere where asking good questions and asking for help was seen as a strength not a weakness 3 checks and balances to try and catch things before they fell through cracks in the floorboards 4 complete flexibility to do whatever seemed right in the circumstances. A simple example is that I had my boss working for me on a project. On one axis I was the project manager and he was a team member, on the other axis he was the group leader and I was a group member. Simple. 5 the belief that people wouldn't be allowed to drown

That was a great, zany place to work.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Throwing someone into the deep end can create scars that last a lifetime. I actually know people who had that done to them and they will never be com fortable around water the rest of their lives.

Isn't it better to take them in a bit more gradually from the shallow end? Failure is only a teacher if it is an outcome of reaching too far, not so much if you end up struggling to survive. But then I seriously doubt you w ill actually throw anyone in the deep end. More likely you will give the p erson training wheels and be standing beside to keep them from falling hard .

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

I don't think this is so much a skill as it is judgement. Judgement comes from experience which seems to be the thing JL feels is not of much value.

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Ya, don't ruin his future by discouraging him. I was a good baseball player when I started little league. The first year I did good, the second year they moved me to the majors. This ruined me, I ended the year with a 52 batting average, I got to play the mandatory two innings every game. I didn't try out the next year. My dad actually warned me at the try outs, he said, "don't be to good, they will bump you to the majors." I coulda been a star with Al Kaline and Norm Cash! Just kidding, I wasn't that good and it would have been a few year after them. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Very interesting.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

He certainly has AoE. If a new hire doesn't, I give her a copy.

We brainstorm and review designs a lot here, so he wouldn't drown alone. But I want to encourage him to have ideas now, not 5 years from now.

Out here we like the sand dabs.

But before you can evaluate an idea, you need an idea.

------------------------------------------ .

** "Founder" as a noun refers to a person who begins an organisation OR as a verb to something that sinks to the bottom or otherwise drop out of sight.

OTOH - "Flounder" as a verb refers to something or someone in difficulty, trashing about in mud or confusion.

Then there is the fish:

Win just left out the non essential word "about".

** Errr - no it isn't.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

** Told you Larkin was a horrible boss - an asshole and a bully.

Hope the "kid" realises he is being set up to fail and walks out.

** No joke and no lie.

It's run by a sicko.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Michael Terrell

Or Ray Oyler. Sounds like you grew up in Detroit in the 60's. I have the whole '68 tiger team baseball cards (unfortunately they have all the bicycle spoke marks etc).

Reply to
blocher