Ex-NASA Scientist James Hansen: There is a Clear Link Between Climate Change & Stronger Hurricanes

Interesting "And then, the third thing is the strength of storms. Thunderst orms, tornadoes, tropical storms all get their energy from the latent energ y of water vapor. And because the atmosphere now holds more water vapor, th e strength of those storms can be greater. And so, there are substantial hu man-made effects on these storms. It?s not debatable now. These are all well-established facts."

The denialists are going to throw away trillions trying to save these unsal vageable cities on the coasts before they throw in the towel. Accuweather h as predicted Harvey will run $190B in damages. None of this will make any d ifference, since mankind will be extinct within a decade.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Science must be really good when it becomes not debatable. Or maybe really bad.

Camille, in 1969, hit 175 MPH and 900 mbar. It did bad things to Gulfport Mississippi; I saw that.

Of course the worst hurricane in US history was the great Galveston storm of 1900. We've had a real hurricane shortage last 10 years.

You may be extinct in 10 years, but I plan to be around. The future is always interesting.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

rstorms, tornadoes, tropical storms all get their energy from the latent en ergy of water vapor. And because the atmosphere now holds more water vapor, the strength of those storms can be greater. And so, there are substantial human-made effects on these storms. It?s not debatable now. These are all well-established facts."

You can debate anything. You can debate the color of ruby. You can debate the number of limbs mammals have. You can debate Ohm's law. Go ahead, de bate it. Nobody is stopping you. But you'd find some way to argue that re sisting established fact is productive. Other opinions are always welcome in science, but anecdotal evidence doesn't hold up very well.

salvageable cities on the coasts before they throw in the towel. Accuweathe r has predicted Harvey will run $190B in damages. None of this will make an y difference, since mankind will be extinct within a decade.

ere

Don't be so sure of yourself. I'm sure some victims of recent severe weath er events said the same thing.

Reply to
lonmkusch

rstorms, tornadoes, tropical storms all get their energy from the latent en ergy of water vapor. And because the atmosphere now holds more water vapor, the strength of those storms can be greater. And so, there are substantial human-made effects on these storms. It?s not debatable now. These are all well-established facts."

John Larkin really resents not knowing enough to take part in the debate. A nd he's much too far up himself to admit it.

salvageable cities on the coasts before they throw in the towel. Accuweathe r has predicted Harvey will run $190B in damages. None of this will make an y difference, since mankind will be extinct within a decade.

ere

Not really - James Arthur may think that, but he can't be bothered to provi de a link to the facts.

Posting unsubstantiated claims makes you look stupid, but if you weren't st upid, you wouldn't do it.

Even more interesting when you haven't got a clue what might actually happe n. To plan something you are implicitly claiming to have some idea of what might be going to happen, and right-wing nit-wits work on the proposition t hat the future will be exactly like the past, because this minimises their intellectual effort.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Hey, didn't you say that two years ago? That means we'll all be dead in 8 years.

Whoever dies last gets all the ice cream.

lunatic fringe electronics

nderstorms, tornadoes, tropical storms all get their energy from the late nt energy of water vapor. And because the atmosphere now holds more water vapor, the strength of those storms can be greater. And so, there are su bstantial human-made effects on these storms. It?s not debatable now. These are all well-established facts."

e. And he's much too far up himself to admit it.

unsalvageable cities on the coasts before they throw in the towel. Accuw eather has predicted Harvey will run $190B in damages. None of this will make any difference, since mankind will be extinct within a decade.

_there

rovide a link to the facts.

Rather than using Wikipedia (which is not edited by the scientists involved), why not go to the source?

(curious there is no data past

2004, surely something happened...)

Interesting picture showing landfall of storms and hurricanes 1950 to

2011 (again, why nothing after 2011?)

t stupid, you wouldn't do it.

Using Wikipedia as a source is not always a great idea either. There have been bias problems in the past there regarding climate change and other topics:

ange.html

Not saying that is the case now, but when you consider that Wikipedia articles are constantly being edited by people, perhaps with their own axe to grind, one should not take it as the answer, merely another source of information to be weighed in. I think Wikipedia is doing better these days - but that is just my opinion - since the dirty laundry was aired back in 2012.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

rstorms, tornadoes, tropical storms all get their energy from the latent en ergy of water vapor. And because the atmosphere now holds more water vapor, the strength of those storms can be greater. And so, there are substantial human-made effects on these storms. It?s not debatable now. These are all well-established facts."

salvageable cities on the coasts before they throw in the towel. Accuweathe r has predicted Harvey will run $190B in damages. None of this will make an y difference, since mankind will be extinct within a decade.

Enjoy the fun while you can, you're not long for this world.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I think skeptics would think not to throw good money after bad on flood prone developments, regardless of what is causing the floods or their extent.

In fact, I can't figure out who keeps deciding on throwing good money after bad. Will we be called racists if we do not do so in Houston, as we were when calling for changes to New Orleans?

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

According to you, you aren't either. How are you going to stop it? Pissing and moaning about it does nothing.

Reply to
John S

That's what I do for a living. It's great fun and fairly profitable.

Weather seldom kills people around here. Earthquakes occasionally do, but the numbers are small compared to hurricanes in the South.

lunatic fringe electronics

Absolutely. You should too.

Yes, this mortality thing sucks. I expect that, in the next 50 or 100 years, life extention will be common. We missed that boat.

lunatic fringe electronics

nderstorms, tornadoes, tropical storms all get their energy from the latent energy of water vapor. And because the atmosphere now holds more water vap or, the strength of those storms can be greater. And so, there are substant ial human-made effects on these storms. It?s not debatable now. The se are all well-established facts."

unsalvageable cities on the coasts before they throw in the towel. Accuwea ther has predicted Harvey will run $190B in damages. None of this will make any difference, since mankind will be extinct within a decade.

LOL- get yourself frozen if you're so worried about it.

Some companies off this is as part of their benefits package:

ternal-life/

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

erstorms, tornadoes, tropical storms all get their energy from the latent e nergy of water vapor. And because the atmosphere now holds more water vapor , the strength of those storms can be greater. And so, there are substantia l human-made effects on these storms. It?s not debatable now. These are all well-established facts."

nsalvageable cities on the coasts before they throw in the towel. Accuweath er has predicted Harvey will run $190B in damages. None of this will make a ny difference, since mankind will be extinct within a decade.

here

The number I read is 30,000-40,000 homes destroyed, as in totaled, with med ian market price of $300k. Then FEMA has had an ongoing project for years o f buying homes in seriously high risk areas, demolishing them and reverting the land into wetlands, all on the taxpayer dime of course. FEMA is incred ibly generous with our money.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

nderstorms, tornadoes, tropical storms all get their energy from the latent energy of water vapor. And because the atmosphere now holds more water vap or, the strength of those storms can be greater. And so, there are substant ial human-made effects on these storms. It?s not debatable now. The se are all well-established facts."

unsalvageable cities on the coasts before they throw in the towel. Accuwea ther has predicted Harvey will run $190B in damages. None of this will make any difference, since mankind will be extinct within a decade.

We don't need to worry about it much, there's less than even chance we'll s till be here in 10 years just due to natural mortality.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Just because the media tosses out the term "destroyed", don't believe that it means "totaled". Most can be repaired and put back into service. Of course there is expense, a mess, and frustration, but they can and will be repaired, not bulldozed.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

ote:

nderstorms, tornadoes, tropical storms all get their energy from the latent energy of water vapor. And because the atmosphere now holds more water vap or, the strength of those storms can be greater. And so, there are substant ial human-made effects on these storms. It?s not debatable now. The se are all well-established facts."

unsalvageable cities on the coasts before they throw in the towel. Accuwea ther has predicted Harvey will run $190B in damages. None of this will make any difference, since mankind will be extinct within a decade.

_there

median market price of $300k. Then FEMA has had an ongoing project for yea rs of buying homes in seriously high risk areas, demolishing them and rever ting the land into wetlands, all on the taxpayer dime of course. FEMA is in credibly generous with our money.

FEMA truly wants to bulldoze this stuff. It may cost billions in the near t erm, but we save in the long term with this federal flood insurance subsidy fiasco.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

There certainly is a higher probability that we'll *all* die of natural causes before AGW could kill one of us.

Reply to
krw

Or Florida, North Carolina, New Jersey...

Obviously, but it doesn't matter what we're calling for.

Reply to
krw

And just think of the boost to the economy! Leftist of the world rejoice!

Reply to
krw

It's astonishing how some people can look back on a thousand years of amazing scientific progress yet assume there won't be any more.

lunatic fringe electronics