EverBright Bulb

e:

guess is a uproc based digital lockin impedance analyzer that "polls" the s tate of the switch. The bulb will not light on power failure if the switch is in OFF position for example. Patent is assigned to TLV who sued Sengled (Everbright) for infringement but lost.

tch

can be on the same circuit as the bulb, which tells me it's adaptive in som e way, it learns the impedance measurement of the two switch ON/OFF positio ns.

I take it to mean you don't need insert anything in the breaker box to make the analyzer work.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

The ad says 3.5 hours - I assume that is for a new battery.

In the previous Amazon link the reviews section had a fellow talking about how he used them in his house where mains power was to be off for a few weeks. He would use a generator to power up the house and then when the generator was disconnected (like finished cooking dinner or whatever) these lights would give him around 3 to 4 hours of light.

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
          (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

That seems a bit optimistic. I notices that none of the promotional literature offered a number for how long it will run on battery only. Gathering the numbers:

The web pile at: suggests that Energy consumption: 9 watts (LED + Akku), 6 watts (LED) Akku means battery pack: From the datasheet at: Battery: Lithium ion battery (7.4V, 900 milliamp hours) That looks like two 14500 LiIon cells.

So, we have a battery rated at: 7.4v * 0.9Amp-hrs = 6.7 watt-hrs However, that requires draining the battery completely, which is generally a bad idea. My guess is that the light should cutout at 20% capacity giving a usable capacity of: 0.8 * 6.7 = 5.3 watt-hrs

The light draws 6 watts when running on battery, so the battery life on battery should be: 5.3 watt-hrs / 6 watts = 0.9 hrs = 53 minutes. which is radically less than the claimed 3.5 hrs.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

So when the lamp switches to battery power, it reduces the current to 1/4 of the nominal value?

Reply to
Rob

I'm not sure how you calculated the 1/4 current figure, but to go from

9 watts and 550 lumens on AC, to 6 watts and 330 lumens on battery probably involves a reduction of both the LED voltage and current. The 6 watts is probably running off the 7.4v LiIon battery through some manner of switcher, while the 9 watts is where it's running the LED's at a higher current as well as charging the battery. Calculating how much of the 3 watt difference goes to the LED's and how much goes to charging the battery is beyond the powers of my crystal ball. However, I can probably guess that the battery is charged at about 0.5C or: 0.5 * 0.9A-hr = 450 ma or 0.45A * 7.4V = 3.3 watts Close enough. So, the lamp draws an extra 3.3 watts while charging the battery, but when it's done charging, most or all of that power goes into lighting the LEDs at a higher voltage.

The datasheet also claims that it takes 6 hrs to charge. So: 0.45A * 7.4V * 6 hrs = 20 watt-hrs which is far more than the original 6.7 watt-hr rated capacity. No clue where the extra power is going or why they would want to trickle charge the LiIon cells. Grossly inefficient charging circuit? Tapered charge that ends in a trickle charge? No interest in quick charging? Overly creative datasheet? Dunno.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

You are probably correct, but the original posted link:

says 3 hours (up to 3.5 hours) on battery. I'm not their marketing person so have no idea if true or not...

Don't shoot the messenger!

John ;-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

Something must be wrong. Nobody ever agrees with me.

Yummm. Green Anjou pears, my favorite.

I like to go to the source for such things. Numbers sometimes change on their way from an original source to Amazon and eBay, especially lumens output and LiIon battery capacity (ma-hr). Everyone lies, but that's ok because very few understand what the numbers really mean or imply.

It says "up to" which means 3.5 hrs or any number less than 3.5 hrs including zero. So, 1 hr of runtime would be within their specified range.

These days, we punish the innocent, blame those not involved, promote the unworthy, give the real culprits a performance bonus, enrich management, screw the stockholders, and lie to the media (because nobody will remember the truth a month later). Messengers are sufficiently slow on the priority list that I don't think you need worry, unless you are in the habit of attracting attention.

Ok, back to cleaning up the firewood pile and some chain sawing.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

'up to', in 3.5 hours it won't have self discharged to the point that it won't turn on any more. That seems overly pessimistic.

George H. A 2-phase (quadrature) lockin with a few decades in frequency would tell you a lot about the impedance of something.

Reply to
George Herold

LiIon batteries have very little self discharge. I have various LiIon powered cameras and flashlights that show almost full charge months after being charged, but not used. The only catch is that LiIon doesn't like to be stored at full charge and allegedly plates the anodes with metallic lithium. I've seen this in older LiIon laptops, where it caused the batteries to have a very short battery lifetime.

I tried to read the US8907523B2 patent and gave up. I can't make any sense out of the word salad. I initially suspected it was a Google Translate job from some other language. However, TVL International is from India, so I would have expected the English to have been much better.

This was the original LVL "Smart Charge" light from 2015. "SmartCharge LED Bulb" The web pile lists two more patents:

Video:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Why use a lockin? Just apply a weak 5 volts to the input terminals. If you see no DC and no AC, the switch is closed and the power is failed.

lunatic fringe electronics

Are all patents as unreadable as that?

About the only way I could envisage ploughing through its descriptive text section would be to convert it to text and globally replace ?accord ing to some embodiments? by null.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Reply to
terrypingm

It is intentional, as there may be some hope that the Chinese cannot decipher it, despite that a patent should reveal enough for a person competent in the field to use it for construction a device.

According to my late friend, communications professor Osmo A Wiio, there are three kinds of difficult language:

1) Engineering language, simple sentences but complicated ideas, 2) Legalese, simple ideas but complicated sentences,

3) Patent language, combination of 1) and 2) above.

--

-TV
Reply to

Me too... I read about one paragraph. George H. I initially suspected

Reply to
George Herold

:

is a uproc based digital lockin impedance analyzer that "polls" the state of the switch. The bulb will not light on power failure if the switch is in OFF position for example. Patent is assigned to TLV who sued Sengled (Ever bright) for infringement but lost.

Huh, a test at DC. I was thinking of AC lockin to be able to distinguish between capacitance and resistance. Is there some easy way to test DC continuity on an AC line? Maybe it only tests when there is no AC present?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

te:

ss is a uproc based digital lockin impedance analyzer that "polls" the stat e of the switch. The bulb will not light on power failure if the switch is in OFF position for example. Patent is assigned to TLV who sued Sengled (Ev erbright) for infringement but lost.

t?

a voltage and a 1M resistor, trivial. add a transistor with reverse diode s o Vbe never exceeds 0.7v.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Claim 1 of the patent uses a DC test signal.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

No. Some are worse. It's more common in EU patents than US patents.

"According to various embodiments" is a common patent catch phrase intended to broaden a single claim into adjacent areas. The assumption is that a single individual claim only covers the implementations mentioned in the claim. In other words, a patent can't claim anything that isn't specifically mentioned in the patent. So, rather than itemize and detail a long list of all the various ways a claim can be implemented, the "according to various embodiments" phrase is utilized. This explains the principle:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

e:

ote:

ess is a uproc based digital lockin impedance analyzer that "polls" the sta te of the switch. The bulb will not light on power failure if the switch is in OFF position for example. Patent is assigned to TLV who sued Sengled (E verbright) for infringement but lost.

sh

ent?

Well there ya go. Glad we solved that problem. So most of the patent word salad is to hide the fact that they measure a switch state with a battery and resistor. :^) It's hard to understand how that is worth a patent.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

What's needed is the other mode; i.e. the lamp is turned "on" but remains off until the power fails. That way it's fully charged.

-- A host is a host from coast to snipped-for-privacy@nrk.com & no one will talk to a host that's close.......................... Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433 is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433

Reply to
David Lesher

ote:

guess is a uproc based digital lockin impedance analyzer that "polls" the s tate of the switch. The bulb will not light on power failure if the switch is in OFF position for example. Patent is assigned to TLV who sued Sengled (Everbright) for infringement but lost.

If

d.

uish

esent?

Not quite. They could just as easily be talking about comparing the filtere d output of the synchronous rectifier to a reference. Too much chance for h armonic contamination of a live mains line to make a DC test signal reliabl e.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred