Ever heard of heat pollution?

I posted a link to an article about how LENR may or may not be accepted on another site. I got a response back something like, while it is an improvement over hydrocarbons, it will release environmentally dangerous heat.

Have you ever heard anything about environmentally dangerous heat?

how does the heat we produce, Power plants, cars, etc, compare to that generated within the core of the earth and by the sunlight hitting the earth?

Mikek

Reading for those that think LENR could be possible.

You may find the possible politics of using a new technology interesting. >

And the solution; "Fortunately, however, the leadership of Industrial Heat, which at least for the minute seems to be the company that could be the first to offer this technology for sale, has a stratagem to circumvent to what will surely become widespread opposition to the technology. Industrial Heat simply took the technology to China where PR firms, lobbyists, congressmen and TV commercials have zero impact on decision makers. Moreover, China, where people are dying from their own coal smoke, is desperately in need of a clean source of energy ASAP."

Reply to
amdx

Well, duh. Assuming human population doesn't die/migrate in exponential fashion in the mean time, we'll be producing more electricity by fusion than we receive in solar radiation by 2600 or so.

"Duh" just because, exponents tend to do that.

Presumably, people will have realized that by then, and moved to other planets, installed sun shades at L1, built The Matrix to pacify humanity, etc. And assuming fusion (of any kind, presumably the real, high temperature stuff, not the pseudosciency kind) takes off, which really has no physical reason not to, in this century.

And yes, by the way, there's more than enough deuterium in the oceans to seriously affect Earth's climate by brute force alone. Let alone hydrogen, which we should be able to fuse long before then as well.

(Regarding mitigation: note, by the way, my supposition about exponential decline of population. History has so far shown that power consumption per capita is rising as well as population, so it will presumably take more than just stabilizing population, but a seriously declining (and ever more powerful) population to stabilize power consumption.)

Since that's unsustainable, I suppose I would predict somewhere between today and 2600, we will reach peak humans, and then a little later, peak fusion. After that, further growth either has to be inward (Matrix?) or outward (space colonies).

Probably both, as the adventerous will "evaporate" from the planet, cooling it to a self-interested husk of a society behind... much like those Borg-assimilated planets in Star Trek, only with more trolling and Anonymous and cat pictures, and less militant assimilation. ;-)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

"amdx"  wrote in message

>  I posted a link to an article about how LENR may or may not be accepted
> on another site.
>  I got a response back something like, while it is an improvement over
> hydrocarbons, it will release environmentally dangerous heat.
>
>   Have you ever heard anything about environmentally dangerous heat?
>
>  how does the heat we produce, Power plants, cars, etc, compare to that
> generated within the core of the earth and by the sunlight hitting the
> earth?
>
>                                                    Mikek
>

>  Reading for those that think LENR could be possible.
>
>  You may find the possible politics of using a new technology interesting.
> > http://fcnp.com/2015/11/10/the-peak-oil-crisis-the-next-keystone-debate/
>  And the solution;
> "Fortunately, however, the leadership of Industrial Heat, which at least
> for the minute seems to be the company that could be the first to offer
> this technology for sale, has a stratagem to circumvent to what will
> surely become widespread opposition to the technology. Industrial Heat
> simply took the technology to China where PR firms, lobbyists, congressmen
> and TV commercials have zero impact on decision makers. Moreover, China,
> where people are dying from their own coal smoke, is desperately in need
> of a clean source of energy ASAP."

Reply to
Tim Williams

What?

Reply to
amdx

I saw this article/blog of a scientist talking to an economist at a diner party (or something). He explained that physically we can't have 5% or 1% economic growth forever. At some point we run out of energy or burn up in the waste heat.

George H.

To Mike, I'm sick of LENR updates.

If you wanted to try and build your own, I'd think it a fools errand, but I'd also be happy to guide you one your way as much as I can. After all it's the journey and not the destination that is fun.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Yes. It's the hot air produced during an election year that does the most damage. Sorry, but I can't offer any non-violent solutions.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I was at last year's National Measurement Institute (Australia) awards ceremony where one of two awards went to a guy who's devotes his life to measuring net solar/black-body radiation absorbed and radiated. They have measurement accuracy around 1% now - of around 342W/m^2 averaged across the entire planetary surface. The error is under 4W/m^2, which is thought to be about the order of the amount of heat generated internally... but until we can measure the net radiation more accurately, we have actually no idea how much internal nuclear warming is occurring.

Bottom line: No-one knows, but likely of the order of 2000TW in core warming.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Don't know that "economic growth" is a physical thing. Perhaps you can have 5% growth in the "value" of iphone apps. Forever. :)

A ball of human flesh, expanding forever at the speed of light.

(which is still not exponential, i.e. would not support a 0.1% annual growth in the long term)

More believable than mikes LENR nonsense.

[...]
--

John Devereux
Reply to

Sorry, we've already got one. It's verrrry niiiice.

Can you see it? Of course not--you're English!

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

[...]

Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!

--

John Devereux
Reply to

It's a common problem where power stations dump warm water into rivers. A i ncrease of a few degrees can interfere in the life-cycle of fish, aquatic p lants etc. There is emotional environmentalism on both sides, eviro-haters and tree huggers alike. It's up to you if you want to be that way.

Reply to
sean.c4s.vn

Fetchez la vache!

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

It was clearly labeled as LENR, you didn't need to read it.

Do you think the year long test (about 80% complete) of a 1 Megawatt unit is 100% a made up story to convince investors to buy in? There is no megawatt unit, the company using it is fake? If it fails the fake test, the 3 Billion dollars in fake orders dries up?

Do I know LENR is real? I don't know, but I'm not wise enough to say it is impossible. I also am not so cynical that I just ignore all the people that say there is something there with a positive coefficient of performance.

Read one more update.

The minimum COP I see written is 3 to 1, 1kW in 4 kW out. Why do you need to put in 1kW, that's in the writings.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

James Arthur thinks that he's an American deluded idiot. In reality he's a right-wing deluded idiot and believes a whole lot of things that look like deluded fantasies to people (including Americans) who haven't spent time in a right-wing indocrination and re-education camp.

--
Bill Sloman, sydney
Reply to

Is the theory of "peak humans" similar to the trashed theory of "peak oil"?

Reply to
Robert Baer

He means, of course, more cat pictures and LESS cats.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Since the fundamental idea underlying both propositions is sound - there's only so much oil underground, and only finite resources to support humans - yes.

The "peak oil" theory got trashed recently because it proponents hadn't ful ly taken on board the proposition that there's more oil down there than is easily accessible, so it's not actually the theory that got trashed, but ra ther a particular attempt to instantiate the theory.

But that's probably a little too complicated an idea for Robert Baer to ass imilate.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Have you made investments in this area?

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Just time reading Google alerts.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Yes. On its face. (A real test wouldn't have to run a whole year.)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

:

e:

a right-wing deluded idiot and believes a whole lot of things that look lik e deluded fantasies to people (including Americans) who haven't spent time in a right-wing indocrination and re-education camp.

Nee!

Reply to
dagmargoodboat