EV Charging: Let It Be Free

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Your capacity to make any valid assessments about anyone decidedly rests firmly at nil.

I think that your conclusion of their motives makes you appear just about as stupid as Donald J. Trump.

Both of you should stop stealing Oxygen.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Except this branch of the thread was about charging and power and availbilty and making it available in the future... you know... those single steps I referred to. Larkin seems to be against progress that is not *his* progress.

Must be that reptilian thing. In his case I would say common yard slug.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I had an insanely rich friend who had an early Tesla (and a very short commute in San Diego) and he let me drive it. I thought it was ugly but otherwise OK, but I wouldn't want to own one. It is mostly an enthusiast's car, and I want a car that will get me to Lake Tahoe in mid-winter with minimal mental overhead. Put low-temp fluid in the window washer and fill the gas tank around Sacramento. I need gas every three weeks or so anyhow.

I'd rather design electronics that we can sell, and not spend my mental energy calculating whether I can make it to the next charging station climbing a mountain at 15 degrees F. My wife would not like me turning the heater off.

Do that sort of enthusiast thing if you enjoy it; but I'd rather not finance it.

What I chastised the OP about was stealing. Sounds like EV owners feel entitled to do that.

lunatic fringe electronics

I do a bunch of my charging at the utility company office down the street from my girlfriend's place. They're free and on weekends there's no competition for 'em.

The downside is I've become accustomed to it and can't get a different girlfriend, now. Clever girl to suggest it I think...

Reply to
bitrex

ow

s.

in an electric car, then seems to be chastising someone for responding to his BS and not talking about the EV! lol!!!

You just described the EV trip from SF to Truckee in the winter. In warmer months you would not need to stop anywhere to charge since this is a 200 m ile trip (even with the elevation change which I have shown to be not a sig nificant factor in another thread) which I do often in my model X (the gas hog of the Tesla line). In the winter charging around Sacramento gets you to Truckee with >40% reserve if I recall correctly.

You can explore various trips yourself at

Actually, I set this trip to a 15 degree temperature and 250 lbs extra weig ht and snowing and it doesn't recommend that you charge in Sacramento to re ach the Truckee Supercharger with 40% remaining. It suggests you stop at t he OTHER Truckee Supercharger to get to 40% first, lol. Changing the requi rements to arrive at all chargers with at least 40% SoC it then recommends that you charge in Rocklin (the last Supercharger before Truckee) for 26 mi nutes. Just enough time to have a cup of coffee and a danish.

So your BS is busted!

As to filling with gas, with an EV you will never need to stop at a smelly, ugly gas station again since you can charge at home. But I guess on trips you will need to empty your bladder once in a while.

Yes, you should save your mental capacity since it seems to have greatly di minished over the years.

Yes, again, I can see the mental degradation. One person talks about needi ng to charge at an available outlet and you extrapolate that to "EV owners feel entitled".

--

  Rick C.

  ++- Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

he $4-$5 a day it would cost him to charge at home. I was charging at the same hotel because I needed the charge to get home. lol Since then they b uilt a Tesla Supercharger along my route and I don't need to stop anymore. They are free for me... :)

LOL, I would be looking for one who lived next to a Supercharger, lol!

Maybe I need to put that in a personal ad?

SWM Tesla owner looking for SWF for casual Supercharging.

--

  Rick C.

  +++ Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

No, I am against paying taxes to subsidize upper-middle-class people who want to virtue signal or save a few bucks or drive alone in HOV lanes by buying EVs.

lunatic fringe electronics

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The people do not get to decide where the taxes they pay get used. If you think you do, you are a true idiot.

That is why we have an utter retard as our president right now.

And you pissing and moaning about who uses the HOV lanes is hilarious.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Ok, so Larkin is ok with the EV incentives as long as we don't give them HOV perks. Glad to know that. I was thinking he was not an EV supporter. Silly me.

--

  Rick C.

  ---- Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ---- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Well, don't look at the SMALL items, then; there's no road tax on the 'fuel' they use, and that's probably the larger issue, anyhow. A couple of kilowatts for a few hours a day is peanuts compared to the cost of a covered parking space (in most cities), but a highway system takes real money for upkeep. Vehicle fuel taxes matter.

As for 'feel entitled', no it's not that, they just see the opportunity, and convenience. If they had a way to pay, I suspect that'd be OK, too.

Something that takes hours to charge, will NOT work well in a drive-in station with attendants and impulse-buy displays. But garage outlets, that's a win.

Reply to
whit3rd

It's also stealing if you plug into someone's outlet and charge your car without their consent.

The people that I've known who bought an EV weren't trying to be good, they were just cheap.

It's like Matress Firm. They ask $4500 for a matress but give people

30% off, and they fall for it.

lunatic fringe electronics

You have a lot of cheap friends? I guess that's no surprise.

Huh? Are you talking about oil subsidies or what?

--

  Rick C.

  ---+ Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ---+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

John Larkin is a true idiot. Why? Because he thinks he knows all and catches all the small stuff, and he thinks that all the rest of the world are too dumb to see the things he sees, and he actually thinks he has a vision that none of the rest of us have.

John Larkin is a self impotent jerk. He insults the entire rest of humanity every chance he gets.

Hey Johnny... we are not falling for your bullshit.

Somebody took the 30% off brains when they ordered you up.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Do you think you are telling us anything we don't already know?

--

  Rick C.

  --+- Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

It's a discussion group, and I have opinions.

I'm often right because I post about things I know, or look them up first.

Actually, no. I speak and drive and act very politely in real life. Newsgroups have different dynamics from real life.

I'm sure you're not a brutal cursing raging insulting jerk in real life, like you are here. You're just a big sweetie.

lunatic fringe electronics

OMG! You continue to blather on when you have been shown to be wrong. I'm not sure that makes you an idiot, but it is a close call.

What's really interesting is that you state it is a "discussion group" so y ou are free to post your opinions, yet you continually call out others for not discussing electronics. You certainly are two faced. No, you can't be two faced. If you were, you'd be wearing the OTHER one.

Lol!!! Pot, meet kettle.

--

  Rick C.

  --++ Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Really? So your bashing of NASA and the Space Shuttle Program, and the ISS are you acting "very politely in real life"?

This newsgroup is quite real, dingledorf.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Saturday, March 30, 2019 at 3:40:28 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wro te:

e:

We've fallen into that, but it's a misuse and misunderstanding of federal government.

and as a result smoking and deaths from smoking have declined. Same with t he use of seat belts and traffic deaths except we didn't just "encourage" p eople to wear seat belts, we REQUIRE it by law.

and will always be a nanny government. That is the government most people want. One that has our best interests at heart.

It sounds like you believe you're unqualified to make decisions for yourself, and want to be told what to do. And yet you consider yourself more enlightened than the 'masses.' IOW, you don't believe people are fit to govern themselves.

But the crucial central theory of America was that distributed decision- making by the People would work better than centralized; local feedback is better than global; and that ordinary people can live their own lives and make decisions for themselves better than potentates and their dogmatic bureaucrats' dictates can.

hing.

s.

nes for example. The government sponsored research for many vaccines which we otherwise would not have. Subsidizing technology is worthwhile when it is in the public interests as EVs are. The subsidies won't be around much longer. Tesla and GM are reaching the end of their benefits.

e battery pack? Do you mean the amortization of the cost of the battery? Why separate the battery rather than the whole car? The batteries appear t o be lasting as long as the rest of the car and likely longer than ICE. Un like ICE, the battery pack suffers gradual degradation of the range rather than sudden breaking down. The rated life is to the point where the capaci ty is 80% of the initial value. For many users this is not the point of th rowing it away and the vehicle will remain very serviceable. The rest of t he drive line appears to be even more long lived.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

rote:

ote:

It's always a matter of degree. Posters urging you to buy war bonds, "nann y" government? Clearly attempting to "herd" the flock.

g and as a result smoking and deaths from smoking have declined. Same with the use of seat belts and traffic deaths except we didn't just "encourage" people to wear seat belts, we REQUIRE it by law.

me and will always be a nanny government. That is the government most peop le want.

Your conclusions do not follow from the facts. We do not govern ourselves. We elect people to do it for us. But no, I don't believe people are very good at making decisions, especially about politics, but that's not the is sue in this case. Providing incentives to encourage buyers of EVs is about getting EVs over the hump and into wide spread use. Like throwing the rub ber band airplane to launch it.

Our country does things as a group. This is one of the things I think is g ood for us all. I can see where others would disagree, but that doesn't me an it is wrong to do so.

Hmmm... is there a point in there somewhere??? It sounds like a lot of rhe toric.

You can talk about things in such vague terms that it no longer connects to the real issue being discussed. I think that has happened here.

--

  Rick C.

  -+-- Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -+-- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

It saddens me to see brilliant people killed for no reason, that's all.

NASA's unmanned scientific stuff is great. It could be so much better if hundreds of billions weren't wasted on the ISS.

lunatic fringe electronics