EV Charging: Let It Be Free

Our power increases with consumption. Occasionally we buy a few KWH for 30 cents. They are trying to Save The Earth. Is that good?

I could live in on flat dirt road in Alabama if money was all that mattered. There's a lot less pollen here.

 Click to see the full signature

I think people shouldn't steal because they made a voluntary financial mistake.

 Click to see the full signature

Sure. You have paid for the car so now you want the fuel to be cheap, with someone else paying you.

 Click to see the full signature

San Mateo costs 15 cents (as in many other parts of CA), including 8 cents in solar credit. Solar costs less than 8 cents, and it's the only watchdog of PCG.Q. Otherwise, electricity costs would be higher. PUC is just as competent as SEC.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Used car price also factors in the original credit. I will likely buy another EV sometime in the future as well.

I want free charging for everybody, not just for me. EV owners/drivers are entitled to the carbon tax credit, not manufactures.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Several places are considering a mileage-based tax, because EVs are not paying the gasoline taxes that maintain the roads.

You want someone else to pay for your fuel and your roads too? Free parking for EV owners? Free beer?

 Click to see the full signature

-tax-credit/

federal tax credit for electric cars and tax them even more instead.

emove the federal tax credit cap for EVs and expand it to 2022.

tax credits for the rich, and provides charging credit for the poor instea d. All charging stations should be free.

An interesting idea, but I would not want to see that happen. First, the E V purchase tax credit is not about benefiting the end user so much as simpl y reducing the price of the vehicles so they can be sold during the ramp up period when costs are still high. This seems to have been working with a new auto company founded solely producing EVs and the rest of the major aut o companies announcing new models to be on the road in a year or two. The only "defect" in the law is that it has a quantity cap for each manufacture r. Tesla has used their full tax credits and will have used the remaining credits this year I believe. At that point they will be at a disadvantage, coincident with trying to roll out a new model Y. Not so good for anyone.

I think the EV tax credit should be on all vehicles sold in the US until so me date regardless of company. This will encourage early adoption while ma intaining a level playing field.

The tax credits aren't about subsidizing the rich or supporting the poor. It is about getting EVs off the ground now rather than waiting another 20 y ears.

Charging at home is the preferred way to charge an EV. If you make all EV charging free, will that include at home? Make the utility company pay for your EV charging?

Make all EV chargers free and there won't be any.

--
  Rick C.

  - Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Not directly, but i paid sales tax for the vehicle, sales tax for the Amtrak tickets where i park and charge, sales tax for the restaurant where i eat, sales and hotel taxes for the places i stayed. I can hardly avoid any tax just breathing.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

icle-tax-credit/

500 federal tax credit for electric cars and tax them even more instead.

to remove the federal tax credit cap for EVs and expand it to 2022.

icle tax credits for the rich, and provides charging credit for the poor in stead. All charging stations should be free.

quivalent for 80% to 90% charging. Due to lack of alternative, i have to c harge to 100% to get to the next station. That's highway robbery.

Is that a fast charger? Yes, I know lots of chargers are very overpriced f rom the consumer's point of view. But I believe they are not fully utilize d currently, so the price is not cheap. Eventually competition will kick i n but it will take time. There are free level 2 chargers about.

--
  Rick C.

  + Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

I've been doing it for years! My alternator broke some time back and I plug in and charge the battery in my truck everywhere I go. It's great! I save about $0.15 a month and I'm very happy!

--
  Rick C.

  -- Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

om

home and

re prices.

em in EV desert area on freeway/highway.

.

than manufacturers (via sales)

to choose.

,

another EV sometime in the future as well.

s are entitled to the carbon tax credit, not manufactures.

rak tickets where i park and charge, sales tax for the restaurant where i e at, sales and hotel taxes for the places i stayed. I can hardly avoid any tax just breathing.

That's the problem with the notion of using government to make other people pay for your stuff--they'll do the same thing right back to you (and there are more of them, than you).

Cheers, James Arthur

~~~ "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." ? Frederic Ba stiat (1801-1850)

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

le-tax-credit/

[...]

It already accomplished the goal of getting the early starter. Now, it has the opposite effect of slowing down the EV productions. Other EV makers w ant to keep productions as slow as possible, in order to maintain this EV c redit advantage. Time to phase it out completely. And to encourage EV own ership, enough free chargers accomplish the same.

If there are as many charging stations (even only L1) as gas stations, 50 m iles EV is good enough for me and many others. We don't want to be driving a mobile explosive around.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Larkin believes anything that supports his biases. The cost of the electri city to run an EV is around $0.04 per mile at common utility rates.

I did meet a Chevy Bolt owner who charged at free stations because of the $

4-$5 a day it would cost him to charge at home. I was charging at the same hotel because I needed the charge to get home. lol Since then they built a Tesla Supercharger along my route and I don't need to stop anymore. The y are free for me... :)
--
  Rick C.

  +- Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

LOL! This guy rakes up all the muck he can and would not be caught dead in an electric car, then seems to be chastising someone for responding to his BS and not talking about the EV! lol!!!

--
[...]

Not really. If Tesla closes doors, the other automakers won't be nearly so eager to push EV sales. Heck, GM beat Tesla to the punch in making an aff ordable EV. But GM won't even advertise it. You have to go to the dealer and beg them to sell you one.

We are a long way from EVs becoming mainstream. About 10 years and $15,000 .

r EV makers want to keep productions as slow as possible, in order to maint ain this EV credit advantage. Time to phase it out completely. And to enc ourage EV ownership, enough free chargers accomplish the same.

Pure BS. Are you suggesting that the lines are forming at other EV dealers and they are refusing to sell EVs? No, EVs are a long way from being "pop ular" or in demand.

miles EV is good enough for me and many others. We don't want to be drivi ng a mobile explosive around.

Really? You want to stop every 40 minutes to charge on a trip? Lol!

--
[...]

Why not get a 1kW Honda generator for the car?

(I'm against subsidies in general--it's just wrong to make other people pay for your stuff.)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

rote:

ote:

ehicle-tax-credit/

7,500 federal tax credit for electric cars and tax them even more instead.

l to remove the federal tax credit cap for EVs and expand it to 2022.

ehicle tax credits for the rich, and provides charging credit for the poor instead. All charging stations should be free.

[...]

I might have to. But that defeats the clean air and anti-oil principles.

It's more for redirecting the gov. sub. that are already on the book and to get us off oil faster. The actual money involved in charging is not that much, but we need the incentive and volume for EV ownership to grow.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

[...]

We let others pay for lots of stuff some use and some don't. Has the fire department been to your house? Have you walked on every sidewalk in town? Do you plan to visit the wall Mexico is building for us?

--
  Rick C.

  --+ Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

BTDT, didn't work too well at night, but LED headlamps weren't an option back then.

Jasen Betts

Thats what happend to Free air ;)

Martin Riddle