EV Charging: Let It Be Free

https://electrek.co/2018/11/13/tesla-gm-nissan-coalition-electric-vehicle-tax-credit/

Last month, a Republican senator introduced a new bill to end the $7,500 federal tax credit for electric cars and tax them even more instead.

But a few days later, another Republican senator proposed a new bill to remove the federal tax credit cap for EVs and expand it to 2022.

Today, a Non-Republician Non-Senator (me), proposes ending all EV vehicle tax credits for the rich, and provides charging credit for the poor instead.  All charging stations should be free.

Re: EV Charging: Let It Be Free

All the Level 2 destination chargers I use in Rhode Island, CT,
Massachusetts already are.

How much do you think "the poor" are driving every week? It only costs
about 50 cents at overnight electric rates to charge my Volt up to 50
miles range, I drive a thousand miles a month on like $10-15 worth of
electricity.

Free charging doesn't help the poor a shit if they can't afford to
lease, finance, or purchase a vehicle, even the cheapest used EV like a
Chevy Spark EV costs about $10k.

Where the fuck is a person in poverty going to get 10 grand from?
There's a reason many of the low-income people I see drive mid 2000s
Altimas they're fairly reliable cars that seem to have lasted, spare
(stolen?) parts are readily available, they're cheap on the used market
can get a decent condition example for maybe 2k.

Re: EV Charging: Let It Be Free

I brought a 2012 Leaf for $5000.  EVgo charges around $7 to $10/gal gas equivalent for 80% to 90% charging.  Due to lack of alternative, i have to charge to 100% to get to the next station.  That's highway robbery.

Re: EV Charging: Let It Be Free

AFAIK you live in the Bay Area, that's the problem. That is unfortunate
but we know why there are highway robbery rates there it's because it's
filled with tech bros who can afford it.

There's nothing else but that particular fashion of EVgo charger to use?
There are a couple EVgo fast chargers around here nobody ever uses 'em,
they do usually have 6.6kW Level 2 chargers next to them which are free,
that people use.

Chargepoint? Dryer outlet? Wall socket?

Re: EV Charging: Let It Be Free

i am talking about central valley area, outside the bay area.

None, whatsoever.  Other than stealing electron from some wall socket, until getting kick out.

Re: EV Charging: Let It Be Free

I hate to say it then but if it's not feasible to have that particular
car in your area due to not having a place at home to charge it and the
commercial charging rates being too expensive then that's something that
should have been elided thru "doing your homework" prior to purchasing
the vehicle.

It's not the right vehicle for your living situation/local charging
situation; if you live in an apartment/condo then your only real option
for charging (outside of thieving from someone else which I don't
encourage) are public chargers, and if they're all priced out of your
budget nearby then you're kinda sunk.

Trade it in on a gas-hybrid Prius until the situation improves somehow.

Re: EV Charging: Let It Be Free
On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 07:30:22 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Stealing is another way to get free energy. I see that in places where
there is an undefended AC outlet, people charging their cars without
paying.

Maybe a good fraction of EV owners just like to get stuff free.
Thieves at heart, not greenies.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: EV Charging: Let It Be Free

LOL, I should have known, this is the new welfare queen apocryphal tale.
Thousands of welfare queens, buying tons of lobster on the taxpayer dime.

Thousands of EV owners, skulking about stealing charge from undefended
outlets.

yep. That's in touch with reality...

Re: EV Charging: Let It Be Free

How do you know they're not paying? How do you know that's not their own
outlet? How long do you think it takes to charge a car like a Leaf from
a 120 volt outlet at 12 amps, probably like 24 hours.

Trickle-charge thieves I knew it! Nobody will notice them in that time?

It's some serious Fox news crack pipe u are smoking bro

Re: EV Charging: Let It Be Free

I used to use a parking garage that had 120v outlets here and there.
Most had cars plugged in. I'm sure they did not have a billing
arrangement. They probably got up at 4AM so they could get the prime
parking spots near the outlets. Some people love to steal, even when
it doesn't make economic sense.

You are the one who suggested stealing power from strangers until
kicked out, quoted above. Do you do that?

The Car Talk column in today's paper has a question from someone who
has a plugin hybrid and is trying to calculate costs. The writer
doesn't understand kilowatts or KWH, so Ray does the math for him. The
cost per mile works out to 13.4 cents electric, 12.5 cents for gas.

No wonder greenies want to get free charging, or steal.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: EV Charging: Let It Be Free

?????? I said to use a wall outlet if one was available. his _own_ wall
outlet, or perhaps a buddy's who is ok with that. I never said to use
someone else's without telling them!

Got a link? poor bugger must pay a ludicrous electric rate. Sounds like
some more California bullshit.

Driving on charge even if I get it from the wall, off peak, is
significantly cheaper for me than using gas at around $2.59 a gallon,
here. Even at peak rates my price is around 12 cents per kWh, the Volt's
pack is 14.6 kWh, worst case that's good for about 45 miles, best case
about 70.

Why in the world would I need to steal electricity when I have the
change required in my couch cushions

Re: EV Charging: Let It Be Free

It was back east, Rhode Island or something like that.

Re: EV Charging: Let It Be Free

And a horrible electric car.  My Leaf gets 3 to 4 miles per kWH.  Even at 15 cents per kWH, it costs less than 5 cents per mile.

Re: EV Charging: Let It Be Free

Or else they're making an apples to oranges comparison and factoring in
the sale price of a new electric vehicle vs. buying a used gas car that
gets decent mileage. Well, sure. You can always find a way to lower your
transit costs depending on what you're willing to give up. Drive a 1989
Honda CRX manual it probably gets almost as good as a Prius. or ride a
bicycle

Re: EV Charging: Let It Be Free

Some rate schedules start billing you at a higher rate after you pull 8
or 10 kWh in a day and there can be a jump up to some crazy rate like 35
cents per. I don't know if RI does that the only place I know off the
top of my head that has rate schedules like that in places is CA whose
electric rate system seems more convoluted than their tax structures
probably are

Re: EV Charging: Let It Be Free

Our power increases with consumption. Occasionally we buy a few KWH
for 30 cents. They are trying to Save The Earth. Is that good?

I could live in on flat dirt road in Alabama if money was all that
mattered. There's a lot less pollen here.

Re: EV Charging: Let It Be Free

San Mateo costs 15 cents (as in many other parts of CA), including 8 cents in solar credit.  Solar costs less than 8 cents, and it's the only watchdog of PCG.Q. Otherwise, electricity costs would be higher.  PUC is just as competent as SEC.

Re: EV Charging: Let It Be Free

Larkin believes anything that supports his biases.  The cost of the electri
city to run an EV is around $0.04 per mile at common utility rates.

I did meet a Chevy Bolt owner who charged at free stations because of the $
4-$5 a day it would cost him to charge at home.  I was charging at the same
 hotel because I needed the charge to get home.  lol  Since then they built
 a Tesla Supercharger along my route and I don't need to stop anymore.  The
y are free for me...  :)

--

  Rick C.

  +- Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: EV Charging: Let It Be Free

I do a bunch of my charging at the utility company office down the
street from my girlfriend's place. They're free and on weekends there's
no competition for 'em.

The downside is I've become accustomed to it and can't get a different
girlfriend, now. Clever girl to suggest it I think...

Re: EV Charging: Let It Be Free
he $4-$5 a day it would cost him to charge at home.  I was charging at the
same hotel because I needed the charge to get home.  lol  Since then they b
uilt a Tesla Supercharger along my route and I don't need to stop anymore.
 They are free for me...  :)

LOL, I would be looking for one who lived next to a Supercharger, lol!

Maybe I need to put that in a personal ad?

SWM Tesla owner looking for SWF for casual Supercharging.