EV Charging: Let It Be Free

Last month, a Republican senator introduced a new bill to end the $7,500 federal tax credit for electric cars and tax them even more instead.

But a few days later, another Republican senator proposed a new bill to remove the federal tax credit cap for EVs and expand it to 2022.

Today, a Non-Republician Non-Senator (me), proposes ending all EV vehicle tax credits for the rich, and provides charging credit for the poor instead. All charging stations should be free.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

All the Level 2 destination chargers I use in Rhode Island, CT, Massachusetts already are.

How much do you think "the poor" are driving every week? It only costs about 50 cents at overnight electric rates to charge my Volt up to 50 miles range, I drive a thousand miles a month on like $10-15 worth of electricity.

Free charging doesn't help the poor a shit if they can't afford to lease, finance, or purchase a vehicle, even the cheapest used EV like a Chevy Spark EV costs about $10k.

Where the f*ck is a person in poverty going to get 10 grand from? There's a reason many of the low-income people I see drive mid 2000s Altimas they're fairly reliable cars that seem to have lasted, spare (stolen?) parts are readily available, they're cheap on the used market can get a decent condition example for maybe 2k.

Reply to
bitrex

I brought a 2012 Leaf for $5000. EVgo charges around $7 to $10/gal gas equivalent for 80% to 90% charging. Due to lack of alternative, i have to charge to 100% to get to the next station. That's highway robbery.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

AFAIK you live in the Bay Area, that's the problem. That is unfortunate but we know why there are highway robbery rates there it's because it's filled with tech bros who can afford it.

There's nothing else but that particular fashion of EVgo charger to use? There are a couple EVgo fast chargers around here nobody ever uses 'em, they do usually have 6.6kW Level 2 chargers next to them which are free, that people use.

Chargepoint? Dryer outlet? Wall socket?

Reply to
bitrex

icle-tax-credit/

500 federal tax credit for electric cars and tax them even more instead.

to remove the federal tax credit cap for EVs and expand it to 2022.

icle tax credits for the rich, and provides charging credit for the poor in stead. All charging stations should be free.

quivalent for 80% to 90% charging. Due to lack of alternative, i have to c harge to 100% to get to the next station. That's highway robbery.

And i don't blame EVgo for their business decision to take advantage of the situation. i blame the government for not doing the job of oversight. As your Non-Senator, i promise you free Air, Water and Electron in every publ ic facility, taking full advantage of Other People's Energy (OPE).

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

i am talking about central valley area, outside the bay area.

None, whatsoever. Other than stealing electron from some wall socket, until getting kick out.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Is the charging station on the highway?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

At least it has a quantity limit per manufacturer. Tesla is about there.

Envision veto.

Electric cars are mostly toys for relatively rich city-dwelling greenies. Guys hauling hay in flyover country (now called "the interior") aren't going to trade in their pickups for a Leaf.

Almost anything that is free is wasted.

What do you drive? Do you have a personal interest in free charging?

lunatic fringe electronics

Poor baby! You have to pay for fuel, same as poor people do.

Trade in your Leaf for an old beetle.

lunatic fringe electronics

I hate to say it then but if it's not feasible to have that particular car in your area due to not having a place at home to charge it and the commercial charging rates being too expensive then that's something that should have been elided thru "doing your homework" prior to purchasing the vehicle.

It's not the right vehicle for your living situation/local charging situation; if you live in an apartment/condo then your only real option for charging (outside of thieving from someone else which I don't encourage) are public chargers, and if they're all priced out of your budget nearby then you're kinda sunk.

Trade it in on a gas-hybrid Prius until the situation improves somehow.

Reply to
bitrex

Stealing is another way to get free energy. I see that in places where there is an undefended AC outlet, people charging their cars without paying.

Maybe a good fraction of EV owners just like to get stuff free. Thieves at heart, not greenies.

lunatic fringe electronics

The Boston area is full of high-end pickups that suburbanites drive as a status symbol. they never see dirt, the Trump sticker and 4x4 logo on the back is immaculate.

Bling-trucks tend to have a life cycle the owner defaults on the payments on the 70k sticker price after a couple years and then a bunch are shipped to "the interior" where someone buys them for 1/4th their sale price and maybe does real work with them. That's fine with me.

Maybe I'll put a down payment on something else with the money I've saved on gas driving an EV the past couple years. Kind always wanted a Camaro. The V6 manual is the right choice for that car. it's pretty cheap as far as sporty-cars go.

He seems to have bought an EV without a place to charge it at home and without doing the research on the local charging infrastructure prices. An unfortunate situation but finally a local problem.

The majority of the charging stations I use are either owned by businesses who provide free charge as a value-add for my frequenting their fine establishment, or by the local power company who has a vested interest in getting people hooked on their product. The electric utility company likes EVs just fine.

Reply to
bitrex

LOL, I should have known, this is the new welfare queen apocryphal tale. Thousands of welfare queens, buying tons of lobster on the taxpayer dime.

Thousands of EV owners, skulking about stealing charge from undefended outlets.

yep. That's in touch with reality...

Reply to
bitrex

How do you know they're not paying? How do you know that's not their own outlet? How long do you think it takes to charge a car like a Leaf from a 120 volt outlet at 12 amps, probably like 24 hours.

Trickle-charge thieves I knew it! Nobody will notice them in that time?

It's some serious Fox news crack pipe u are smoking bro

Reply to
bitrex

They hate electric cars on principle but maybe also realize the biggest manufacturers of electric cars are American car companies.

Quite a conundrum!

Reply to
bitrex

I used to use a parking garage that had 120v outlets here and there. Most had cars plugged in. I'm sure they did not have a billing arrangement. They probably got up at 4AM so they could get the prime parking spots near the outlets. Some people love to steal, even when it doesn't make economic sense.

You are the one who suggested stealing power from strangers until kicked out, quoted above. Do you do that?

The Car Talk column in today's paper has a question from someone who has a plugin hybrid and is trying to calculate costs. The writer doesn't understand kilowatts or KWH, so Ray does the math for him. The cost per mile works out to 13.4 cents electric, 12.5 cents for gas.

No wonder greenies want to get free charging, or steal.

lunatic fringe electronics

I know a guy who just got a fully-loaded mega pickup, but he is a construction type and does need to haul things. Some of those bling trucks are hauling around Bosch dishwashers and sacks of lawn conditioners for the Prius drivers.

Me too. Those worker-guys probably appreciate the non-government subsidies.

My wife drives a Fit is fascinated by the Dodge Charger. Maybe I'll rent one for her so she can have the experience.

He advocates free charging to make up for his lack of research.

lunatic fringe electronics

There's no reason to hate electric cars. It's reasonable to hate public subsidies of electric cars. Most of that subsidy money goes to upper-class Democrat coastal greenies, so Republicans generally don't approve.

American car companies are making electric cars partly because of the government subsidies and side benefits, like cheating in commute lanes. It will be interesting to see what the subsidy phase-outs do.

lunatic fringe electronics

I propose poor people drive used cars, if they can find a used electric, fine. But a poor person should not be buying a new car, it would be a poor financial choice. Then figure out if there is a way for you not to be poor. This is America, only in special situations is there a reason for a person to remain poor.

From one who never bought a new car, paid cash for used and put the rest into VTSAX. And control the thermostat, don't keep up with the Jones, don't be a consumer sucker. You don't need all that junk. And you don't need to eat out so often. /rant over/ Have a good day!

Reply to
amdx

?????? I said to use a wall outlet if one was available. his _own_ wall outlet, or perhaps a buddy's who is ok with that. I never said to use someone else's without telling them!

Got a link? poor bugger must pay a ludicrous electric rate. Sounds like some more California bullshit.

Driving on charge even if I get it from the wall, off peak, is significantly cheaper for me than using gas at around $2.59 a gallon, here. Even at peak rates my price is around 12 cents per kWh, the Volt's pack is 14.6 kWh, worst case that's good for about 45 miles, best case about 70.

Why in the world would I need to steal electricity when I have the change required in my couch cushions

Reply to
bitrex