EV Charging in the UK

Yeah, you'd have to be desperate to want to get into the UK right now.

Cursitor Doom

If you apply that same methodology to the UK supply, it comes out at 48kW. If we're comparing systems, it's important to use the same methodology as you will no doubt appreciate.

Cursitor Doom

On a sunny day (Sun, 16 Jun 2019 15:39:00 -0000 (UTC)) it happened Cursitor Doom wrote in :

Yes I was wondering why he wanted to go there. Probably was denied refuge here.

UK politics seems soooo confused these days...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Gee. All that virtue-signalling comes at a price!

Cursitor Doom

On Saturday, 15 June 2019 22:33:41 UTC-7, Jan Panteltje wrote: ...

The UK never went away from 240V.

The standard is 230V -6% + 10%.

That covers nominal 220V and the UK 240V without actually changing anything.

kw

Reply to
keith

Almost none.

The only time ours would trip is if there was a genuine fault condition

- kettle or water heater element going bad or the old filament spotlamps in the kitchen when they blew would generate an impulse plasma short from live to earth that always plunged the house into total darkness. They are all long since replaced by LEDs now and they fail very rarely.

1000L of 28s fuel oil - which is pretty much kerosene. We can also run on solid fuel of either coal or wood in the wood burning stove.

Ceramic hobs are fairly responsive. Induction ones even more so.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

On Saturday, 15 June 2019 22:21:51 UTC-7, John Larkin wrote: ...

Myself and many other people prefer the driving experience with electric vehicles.

It is not necessarily anything to to do with saving the planet, although that's a nice side benefit.

Normal charging is more convenient than with a gasoline cars as it is done while I sleep for a few seconds of plugging in when necessary.

Agreed that requires more planning than with a gasoline car but eminently practical.

kw

Reply to
keith

I think you are mixing up concepts.

That 5 % sounds about right as the running reserve or short startup time (minutes) gas turbines to fulfill the N-1 criterion, i.e. to allow the largest single unit (typically nuclear) dropping from the net. There are time limits (like 30 min) how fast slower starting power plants must be started to restore the N-1 condition. to allow for the next largest unit dropping out.

In any country there are different types of power plants, some are expensive to build but cheap to operate, such as nuclear, other are chap to build but very expensive to operate like natural gas aero derived gas turbines (essentially jet engines). An emergency gas turbine would be run for less than 100 hours including regular test runs.

If you add up the total nominal power output of all available units, this is well larger than the annual peak load. However, running all would be very expensive, so you try to optimize the power station production mix at any time.

Reply to
upsidedown

On a sunny day (Sun, 16 Jun 2019 09:06:33 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@kjwdesigns.com wrote in :

OK, but 230 V light bulbs last shorter... Are you saying light bulbs in UK are 240V? Yes LEDs too, see my previous test with those.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

No he is right. The available UK generating capacity in winter is now only about 4% more than typical load and last winter but one they had to pay big industrial users to drop off to keep the lights in homes on.

and

This is from 2014 and it has got worse since then with various operators mothballing unprofitable assets. They got dangerously close to running out of gas in 2018 too - which would have taken a lot of electricity plant offline (a result of the dash for gas a while back).

They are already running the ageing nuclear plants way beyond their predicted lifetime and still dithering about building new ones.

Not in the UK it isn't. Without the demand side industrial load shedding the margin of generating capacity to anticipated winter load in cold weather it is now touch and go as to whether the lights stay on.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I can charge on the street, if I can park within two car spots of my driveway. Apartment dwellers in a crowded city have a problem. Several are like that here at work, but they can charge up in our garage.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

LEDs *can* be run directly off 240V in the UK, but their service life will be shorter.

Cursitor Doom

No, I am not.

Scandalously I am right.

No.

All true, but regrettably it doesn't change the fundamental point that we are very near to the limit.

Official "notices of insufficiency" are regularly issued. The audience is those commercial customers that buy cheaper electricity on the basis that supply won't be guaranteed. Summary: such commercial customers should be prepared to be cut off.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The people I have talked to (at IET meetings) whose job it is to keep the lights on explicitly state they know they will not be able to keep them on. The only question is the extent and duration of the cuts.

Since it would be politically unacceptable for peons with a vote to be blacked out, companies and the economy will suffer first.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

If smart metering is introduced, with peak-load pricing, people will start finding ways to time their usage. We don't have that here, but I wish we did.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I have that issue, but do my charging for a round trip. What I lose in one direction, I get back on the other.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

On a sunny day (Sun, 16 Jun 2019 16:42:08 -0000 (UTC)) it happened Cursitor Doom wrote in :

Much short I suppose, but I was referring to these:

Made in the free peoples republic of China.

In your local shop NOW

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 16 Jun 2019 17:51:13 +0100) it happened Tom Gardner wrote in :

We should all be prepared, just today:

I was wondering if the virus US put into the Venezuela grid spoiled over to the rest of S America, but it could just as well be a local hacker, or somebody plugging in their 'lectric car for charging.

Last weekend again the pay cards in some mayor supermarket here no longer worked. This time KPN (telco here) blamed the firewall, it no longer let anything through.

So fragile, all those people: no shopping, lasted till next day!. In Dutch, third time

probably... well I can guess who tought those IT guys :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

What are you talking about??? Overnight you can put on 150 miles on most v ehicles. That's a lot more than Win is using and will work for a very larg e proportion of the population.

It's not like there aren't fast DC chargers for trips. Heck, I use 120 V a t 12 amps. I did charge at the hospital parking deck one night at 5 kW to get a full charge and I won't need to charge again until I am back on the r oad tomorrow halfway home. I could go all the way home, but I'm charging on Tesla's dime these days as much as possible.

--

  Rick C.

  ++- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

We already have a vestigial version of that, the so-called "Economy 7" tariffs. They have separate internal wiring to piles of bricks surrounding heating coils (i.e. storage radiators), and only heat the bricks up at night.

Such tariffs and wiring were popular in the 60s and 70s, but have fallen out of favour since then.

As for smart meters, we have them - provided you carefully define "smart".

The government forced their introduction despite being repeatedly told that there were fundamental problems. Consequently, even though some are still being installed, they will all have to be replaced with second generation devices. You couldn't make it up.

Even then, the smarts are limited to: 1 telling consumers their instantaneous and total energy usage 2 remotely disconnecting customers that don't pay the bill 3 staying with the same energy supplier; change supplier and it reverts to being a dumb meter

What could /possibly/ go wrong with the second (mis)feature?

Given the third point, tell me again what the benefit is supposed to be!

Consequently I and many people refuse to have smart meters installed.

Reply to
Tom Gardner