EV Charging in the UK

The junk yard. Maybe somebody like this?

It's going to be interesting. Teslas may go the way of PT Cruisers.

Nah. There will always be people who demand even more smug.

I drove my first hybrid last week. After figuring out that it was a hybrid (it was a rental and no one told me what it was) it was "interesting". Fairly nice on MPG (~43). I'd buy one for a commuter, long before I'd buy an electric. A rechargeable hybrid might be a reasonable compromise. Battery cost/life is still an issue, though.

Reply to
krw

Yeah, they just replace their homes when the garbage cans fill up too.

More than a few. It's instructive that there are used Tesla batteries for sale (a cow-orker bought some for a project at work).

Reply to
krw

Just put solar cells on the cars. Then you can have lights that come out at night.

Or back wheels that are larger than the front wheels.

Someone needs to invent the electron.

Reply to
krw

That's just *nuts*. Don't they realize that someone could fall off and get hurt?! What would that do to Obamacare costs?

...and people watch the homeless, hookers, and other druggies.

Reply to
krw

es

del

I don't get why people insist on being ignorant about issues where they onl y need to get a little information. There is no indication that EV batteri es will wear out any faster than the engine and transmission of ICE autos. In fact, the data shows them to be much longer lived.

But if you are ignorant of the facts, then you will say things like, it is "still and issue".

Like they say, you can't fix stupid, especially when it's willful.

--

  Rick C.

  -+-++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -+-++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

On Wednesday, 19 June 2019 19:30:17 UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote: ...

They are not a normal replacement item - they will last the lifetime of the car

een a few replaced although in many of those it was not the cells that caus ed trouble, it was the surrounding circuitry that is in the battery pack. T hese items are mainly off the shelf electronic components and so probably r epairable even without Tesla's assistance if needed.

There are used Audi gearboxes for sale - does that mean that I should expec t to have to replace them?

So presumably they hadn't failed.

I expect that most are from wrecked cars - a Tesla is not immune to bad dri vers.

Reply to
keith

On Wednesday, 19 June 2019 14:33:31 UTC-7, John Larkin wrote: ...

..

Many older houses were not plumbed for hot water - it would be even more complex and expensive to put in the required plumbing.

I remember as a child using a tin bath in front of the fire because the house didn't have a bathroom or even plumbing.

Reply to
keith

What I think happens is that my brain works while I sleep, and the results are delivered in the shower, just as the coffee and sugar are kicking in.

lunatic fringe electronics

There a metal thing that extends down into the slot to grip the cable when the operator pulls on a giant wooden lever. Once in a great while the grip jams in the slot and stops the car dead, often on a hill. That spills a half dozen tourists off, and they roll down the hill for a block or two. Great fun.

Yes, parts of SF are very bad. We don't go to those parts. The rest is very nice. This is just down the block:

I grew up in flatland, so this 3D stuff still impresses me.

lunatic fringe electronics

There is rumored to be some lightweight atom in the periodic table that FOUR hydrogen atoms will stick to.

lunatic fringe electronics

I wonder if this guy is getting senile. He really does go on about things without having any understanding of topics at all.

--

  Rick C.

  -++-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -++-- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

What do you consider the lifetime an ICE car to be ? 10 years ? 20 years ?

There has not been a large deployment of EVs in the last two decades. More like 5 years, so we do not have a long time experience.

All kinds of batteries have a limited number of charge/discharge cycles, during which the storage capacity is gradually reduced.

Or do you claim that Tesla has invented some completely new chemistry that doesn't suffer from storage capacity degrading ?

Reply to
upsidedown

On Thursday, June 20, 2019 at 1:16:36 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@downunder.com wrot e:

:

y.

sires

model

?

only need to get a little information. There is no indication that EV batt eries will wear out any faster than the engine and transmission of ICE auto s. In fact, the data shows them to be much longer lived.

Most wear mechanisms on cars are not time related, but rather use... miles. I had 255,000 on my truck and most people were impressed. It was still g oing strong (well not really, I suspect it was getting low on compression) but repairs were starting to add up. Over the years there had been a numbe r of significant repairs. But only one in the drive train, worn out clutch .

I met a guy with 175,000 miles on his model S and he said his battery had n ot degraded significantly. Far from the -20% Tesla set for the warranty th reshold. I wish I could find the graph Musk provided once. It plotted cap acity % vs number of charges for a number of charging ranges, e.g. 20% to 8

0%, 10% to 90%, 0% to 100%. They will caution you not to charge to 100% al l the time, but the accelerated wear is actually small. This chart showed some thousands of charges before reaching 80% capacity. That equates to >3 00,000 miles if not 500,000 miles.

My car has an 8 year, unlimited mileage warranty on the battery and drive u nit. New model 3s have 8 years or 100,000 miles on the smaller battery or

120,000 miles on the larger one. How many ICE have that?

Yes, age is not the relevant factor. But model S has been sold since 2012 which is 7 years.

Where did you see me say that? No one has said EVs won't wear out. But pr operly designed EVs should outlast an ICE. The Nissan Leaf appears to be r ather shorter lived than the Teslas. Seems they don't do as many things to protect the battery.

--

  Rick C.

  -++-+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -++-+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

How barbaric. I get pissed because the water heater is at the other end of the house from the bathroom - something like 70' away.

Reply to
krw

The cars are worse than I thought! Junk!

Yes.

They were lower capacity. Used batteries are.

And those buying them are using them for fishing sinkers?

Reply to
krw

I don't get how some people can be such fanbois. For *anything*.

Reply to
krw

Around 500 for Li-Ion. LiFePO4 is better but lower capacity to begin with.

Yeah. Fanboi chemistry. See no evil...

Reply to
krw

Why would it expensive to add plumbing to old houses. Just install the tubing _outside_ the house as they did in UK.

Of course the obvious objection is that the exposed tubing will easily freeze. The counter argument is that exposed tubing is easy to melt with a blowtorch :-)

Reply to
upsidedown

:

y.

sires

model

?

only need to get a little information. There is no indication that EV batt eries will wear out any faster than the engine and transmission of ICE auto s. In fact, the data shows them to be much longer lived.

is "still and issue".

Thanks for proving me right. You are totally ignorant of the facts. That' s why you have to attack the person, not the argument.

I get it. You don't know anything about EVs, but you want to hate them. G ot it!

--

  Rick C.

  -+++- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -+++- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

The AlwaysWrong syndrome :-).