EUV progress

On a sunny day (Fri, 29 Sep 2017 08:42:57 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

The math, error correction needs will increase faster than memory can be added at some point. Also see the paper about multiple bit errors next to each other and latchup effects.

For example I wrote a DVB-S encoder, exactly following the specs, all about error correction, see the C source.

even with FEC 1/2 where there are as many error correction bits as databits, bit errors WILL sneak through, and cause visible effects in the received picture in a bad link (interference for example). For data, say executables, that is fatal. You can send the same data X times, and then do arbitration, OK. But then you could have used a better link and the same time with less bits.

That is the point. 'My Xpad has 128 GB, more than your Ypad' And now its full of pictures of the cat.

Well, I have seen kids walk past the house chasing Pokemon... Dangerous, not looking at traffic at all. Here there is now a high fine for using your cellphone non-handsfree while driving. I had a discussion with a truck driver a while back, he says he cannot live without his Android, if he has to pick up something he shows it to his boss via the phone and asks what to do with it. At THAT point a robot becomes more efficient, self driving truck.... No more brain required.

I am not against more memory etc, but hey, get a life. Takes me month to fill the SDcard of my Canon camera, and I take many pictures.

I know you wrote embedded code and simple multitaskers too, how many kB did we use back then? How may kB did it take me to write an auto-pilot for my drone? It ALL fits in a PIC 18F14K22 (18 kB? plenty space left). Data on a 32 MB SDcard also plenty space left.

Its a run-away thing the memory use. Driven by competition. How many characters does Twitter allow??? Now they want to increase it. Enough to shake the world as it is really. Imagine somebody chatting 256 GB .... tweets.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

High performance processes are usually SiMOX, afaik. That means that there's a couple of hundred nanometres of buried oxide that prevents charge from the bulk Si leaking into the active devices. Also there are so many other things that are worse, e.g. threshold variations due to the statistical fluctuations in the number of dopant atoms in the channel of a given FET.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

I dunno, using eight op amps for a sine shaper could add up.... ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On a sunny day (Fri, 29 Sep 2017 08:46:12 -0700 (PDT)) it happened George Herold wrote in :

I scored some large plastic type of crystals from ebay, seems to be from some US accelerator project IIRC,

a small Russian FEU-35 photo-multipler looks at it. Basically a gamma-spectrometer.

Nice, looks like what I have, apart from the nice screening. I did experiment with pulsing a LED into it for reference, but is not in this setup. Mine runs on batteries. Did I not post pictures of it?

I am downloading that link and will have fun studying it :-) I see lots of interesting instruments listed...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 29 Sep 2017 08:49:17 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Which makes the acquisition of Toshiba's memory business an

I do not know where that will go, but watch the Chinese. For example they just build a Boeing competitor plane, are building a large OLED factory, and why should FLASH not be next?

They know how to get things done on a large scale at a low price.

They may beat US on mars too.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

What many miss, including my clients... an on-chip OpAmp doesn't need all the bells and whistles of a packaged jelly-bean part.

An on-chip "OpAmp" can often be as simple as 5 CMOS devices... maybe totaling an area of 20u x 20u(or less). ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

On a sunny day (Fri, 29 Sep 2017 16:49:39 +0100) it happened John Devereux wrote in :

piss, or raspberry-pies, or PICs? The PICs are great, not that small size transistors, no data errors. The SDcards in the raspberries is an other thing, I dd (=copy image) those to hardisk every now and then, so I always have a recent backup. Everything here is backuped trice or more anyways, I have a big alu case with over 900 CD-W, DVD-W, and Blu-ray-W, and some of that other stuff, watsit.. M-DISC, supposed to last 4ever, as in Flinstone style carved in stone.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Hmm, So you've got a pmt looking at the scintilator? You get the gamma ray energy by the size of the current pulse? (where from the gamma rays?)

If you put it in the dark you might be able to see muons. Then a double pulse is a muon decay. You can see them with just a storage 'scope... it's kinda fun.

(It also shows time dilation.. 'cause all the muons are created in the upper atmosphere... and yet stay around long enough to make it to the earth.)

Diode laser spectroscopy is totally the coolest... at least still my fav.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

The guy who likes the 8 op-amp shaper the most had the privilege and pleasure of installing a high power, mode locked laser on a EUV source prototype.

That laser was the tracking beacon for finding the flying drop of molten metal that is vaporized by a much larger laser. The vaporized , incandescent drop creates the EUV.

The impressive thing about the EUV source was its small size. The source portion did not require much of a room to operate in.

Steve

Reply to
sroberts6328

As a counter to that, when I was working on the Nintendo GameCube (later, Wii) CPU, there was a requirement for a "radiation detector" because the SOI process was too immune to radiation. We didn't think we could get an export license without disabling the chip in a high-rad field (LEO). The government changed the rules so we didn't have to implement it but it was a worry.

Reply to
krw

Coincidence! I designed the tin droplet detect discriminator for an EUV source, a sort of a constant-fraction discriminator.

And some other stuff.

 Click to see the full signature

On a sunny day (Fri, 29 Sep 2017 13:53:37 -0700 (PDT)) it happened George Herold wrote in

hehe

I do not know it it is muons, but I have sit with the crystal in the darkened bathroom, and could indeed see flashes, like light stripes in the crystal. Takes a while for your eyes to accommodate.

I joined the (google) gamma spectrometer group some years ago. Not very active with it.

They do have some nice things you can buy too, scintillator screen I have from them.

BTW that link on the site you gave

is dead?

Of course there is also cosmic ray ticks from the PMT itself.

I was reading about that, and realized I had that 10 MHz Rubidium frequency reference, uses the same principle I think?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Yes that does not read well. RPi's :)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

om some US accelerator project IIRC,

in this setup.

ened bathroom,

Maybe, I don't know all that much. This says,

"The atmosphere is so tenuous at higher altitudes that even at 15,000 m it is still only 175 g/cm2 deep. Typically, it is about here that most muons a re generated. Muons arrive at sea level with an average flux of about 1 muo n per square centimeter per minute. This is about half of the typical total natural radiation background."

pper

Hmm, collaborators.. I'l have to look into it.

.

cy reference,

Yeah doing stuff with atomic physics. The diode laser is just a nice tool fro probing all that stuff... googling diode laser and rubidium will give you a huge number of links.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold