Eudora eMail Problems

There has been (and still continues to be) a lot of discussion on how to use sTunnel on Usenet group comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows.

(I'm lucky, my website provider actually supports Eudora.) ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

I thought my hosting provider was stiff arming me, but with some persistence on my part they have been responding more and have downloaded a copy of Eudora to try to work things out with. It was a *very* old copy and I sent them a link to the latest copy. At least I think it is a good link. Many times these sites are just there to infect you. Anyone know if this site is ok?

The size is not an exact match, about half a meg larger. I smell a rat! I could send them my file I suppose.

--

Rick C
Reply to

rickman wrote on 8/6/2017 5:08 PM:

SeaMonkey often glitches and switches to the main window where it grabs my previous keystrokes that had not yet been captured by the composition window resulting in the message pane cursor moving all over the place. It usually ends up near the top of the message pane with nothing disturbed other than the current message it is resting on being marked as "read". But this time it seems to have blotted an entire thread from the comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows group, *this thread*!!! Is there a way to get the thread back? This should be the same as in Thunderbird.

--

Rick C
Reply to

rickman wrote on 8/6/2017 5:23 PM:

I got it. Seems you can specifically view ignored threads then unmark it as ignored. This is why I think T-bird and SeaMonkey suck. Neither one works well on my machines.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Eudora OSE

Looks like Mozilla decided the project was dead so they no longer provide downloads. Instead they redirect you to Thunderbird.

You can get a copy from there. They scan the submissions for malware. Although the download page says it is for Eudora OSE, the download is for Eudora 7.1.0.9.

I have downloaded from FileHippo before but only using the links to there that some software author has on their own web site. Often the author can afford to have the site but not afford the bandwidth load so they put their files elsewhere, and sometimes that is at FileHippo.

You could submit the file to VirusTotal.com to have them scan it using multiple AV engines. Some really don't belong in their list so seeing a couple of false positives doesn't mean the file is infected, especially if the alerts are from crap engines.

Reply to
VanguardLH

rickman wrote on 8/3/2017 1:51 PM:

When Eudora works, it is a very nice email program. But I have never had so much trouble getting email to work.

Seems the problem wasn't as much the TLS malfunction as it was a password issue. The new provider won't accept my setting the default password I've used for a long time, it is one point shy of adequate. So when I switched providers and had trouble getting the thing set up I ended up changing the passwords and forgot. So now with the change in server name I had to reenter the passwords and Eudora was happy to remember them wrong when they failed without saying it was a password problem!!!

So it seems to be working now, but I still have one nagging issue. Some of the test cases I created would work for sending email with the incoming server as "stuff". I do this to make sure it doesn't read any email. Hmmm... maybe that was something I did with my *very* old hosting account that used a different control panel. Each email address was a mailbox even if it was just being used for forwarding. Anyway, "stuff" works for some Eudora personas, but not others. I don't get why and Eudora isn't telling!

But it's working again, mostly.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Jim Thompson wrote on 8/3/2017 8:42 PM:

I've been in touch with OLM and they don't claim to have any special support for Eudora. I asked and the reply was, "what does Eudora support"? I replied that Eudora supports SSL TLSv1.

Hello Rick,

Thank you for contacting OLM. We do not support TLSv1 SSL connections. There are to[sic] many security risks.

Clearly they have no special knowledge or support for Eudora. How are you operating with Eudora? What type of authentication are you using? I only got mine working by using Wireshark to see just what was happening.

--

Rick C
Reply to