Ethernet to serial

Looking for a chip that will do ethernet to serial. What I actually want is to make a little box that will take a UDP and pump out an IR command like a remote.

I can buy such devices for about $200, which doesn't seem a bargain.

--
Dirk

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

The Xport is under $50.

John

As an alternate to the XPort (which I've only played with but John L. actually uses ;-) if you're really staying with UDP/IP and not entering the TCP jungle then it's not huge effort to code up your own handler.

The pub I used for a reference was "Networking and Internetworking with Microcontrollers," although there are certainly others out there. Came up nicely on an MSP430 dev board.

As in many things, it comes down to the build/buy decision.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Where? I may have to built such a box (with http to send IR) but if it can be baught, it would be easier to just buy it.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

On a sunny day (Mon, 27 Apr 2009 15:47:23 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote in :

You, and Dirk, may consider using a small FPGA:

shows how to send and receive UDP packets. You could likely use the internal block ram to store pre-defined IR patterns, to avoid any timing issues, that would allow TCP/IP then too. It really is only a few lines of Verilog and 2 transistors needed...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

It's not a question of buying just one, but an unspecified "many". It is something my company will be using in future.

--
Dirk

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

OK! I'll check it out.

--
Dirk

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

FPGAs have always had a bit of a fascination for me, but that's partly because its one major area of technology I've never got to grips with. It seems a bit intimidating:-( Right now I'm looking for a "solder three pins" solution...

--
Dirk

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

On a sunny day (Mon, 27 Apr 2009 21:02:25 +0100) it happened Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote in :

Since I dunno exactly what the requirement is to drive the IR output, qua timing, it is difficult to answer. Normal IR remotes (if that is what it is for), are not that fast in data rate, and perhaps it can be done with one of those cheap ethernet to RS232 modules that John Larkin talked about here some time ago, maybe using the control lines or even the serial out itself.

I also have a small module, IIM7000, from mcs electronics, but that needs a 8051 (memory mapped address I/O) like micro to configure it for http server or whatever, the C sources are available for free somewhere:

They have some new products, I think the latest board IIM7010A also has i2c on the header pins, so you can program it via 3 wires (ground, data, clock), mine has not, so I have not tried.

Jan Panteltje

Define many... We may have a more or less standard solution which offers a simple ethernet interface to several interfaces. I can send you more info by e-mail.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

Way too complicated and expensive. A small MCU, a PHY and a TCP/IP stack is all you need. And more flexible too.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

"Many", as in at least one and possibly up to 100 or so per year. Feel free to send me an email please. However, bear in mind that it's reasonably price sensitive.