ethernet over a single pair of wires?

I'm looking at an application where there is only one avaialble pair of wires through an interface. The wires are in a CAT-5 bundle but only 1 of the twisted pair is avaiable. The length is only about 200 ft.

The desired connetion is ethernet with a laptop on one end and a a piece of ethernet industrial equipment (commanding and data monitoring) on the other. Since it is only a single pair that would ofcourse mandate half duplex operation. 10Mbits would be plenty fast.

Wifi is not possible for this application.

My question is can a standard laptop with a RJ-45 type ethernet connector be setup to use only a single pair if wires in half dulex mode? Google turned up nothing for me.

Anyone done this before?

Reply to
mook Johnson

Yup. In fact, I have two solutions; cheap and good.

Cheap:

Monoline Single Pair Balun - RJ11 pins 3 and 4 jack to RJ45 Jack - 10BaseT from ComputerCableStore.com. The unique Monoline Baluns, only from ETS, allow you to reuse existing premise cabling the Ethernet 10BaseT networks. One single pair of UTP or STP replaces two pair UTP with improved NEXT (near end crosstalk) over the 802.3 specification.

A Monoline Balun at each hub port, and one at the workstation complete the installation, without the expense of rewiring your facility with UTP for data. Standard 802.3 distances (100 meters) are supported over a single pair of UTP or STP.

The Cable Doubler (EBD-10BaseT-1C) allows you to support two 10BaseT connections with a single UTP network run, simply and easily.

Good:

Long-Reach Ethernet Technology

Long-Reach Ethernet provides an extension to the IEEE

802.3-compliant Ethernet standard network. LRE extends Ethernet over single-pair wiring at distances of up to 5,000 feet. Cisco LRE technology combines simple and standards-based LAN connectivity and extension over existing telephone wiring, while boasting several competitive advantages. The Cisco LRE technology provides a point-to-point link that can deliver half- or full-duplex Ethernet at up to a 15-Mbps data rate

...or you could just try to rig up DSL modems on each end. I have never done this, but it might work.

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

I can't see why it shouldn't work. I've certainly managed to get 100Mb half- duplex operation by accident when debugging Ethernet (KS8993/5) designs. I expect all switches do autonegotiation now. But if you're worried, it's easy to try out- just take an ordinary Windows network, sacrifice a $2 cable by cutting one active pair, and see if you can connect up.

Reply to
Paul Burke

Yup. If you've got $600 to spend, you're done, golden. Can reach a lot longer than 200ft, as well. Old, slow, seems to be obsoleted, Tut Systems. New, faster, made in USA, buy off the shelf, B&B Electronics.

Just a happy customer with 1200 feet of single twisted pair (Cat3, yet). Getting 40MB on the B&B equipment, which replaced the older Tut equipment that could only do 2MB over the same wire.

If that runs outside, spend a few more bucks on lightning suppression at both ends.

Practically speaking, a reel of 1000 feet of ethernet cable is a lot cheaper, and will run your distance 5 times...ISTR that the Homely Despot even has 500 foot boxes.

Ecnerwal

of

The oldest, cruftiest of tricks is a pair of baluns and a

10base2 (thinwire) media for your link. This will require a powered adapter box to serve a modern (10/100 or 10/100/1000 unshielded twisted pair) Ethernet jack. I'm not sure how the terminator current sensing was handled, there may have been some DC feedthrough added to the balun.

The modern way to do it on the cheap is to retask two pairs in the CAT-5 for Ethernet and put a hub in so your distant computer doesn't hog the connection. Then you have to replace one of the cable's functional pairs with an Ethernet service of some sort.

There are lots of DSL 'last-mile' solutions too, but those, and the Cisco and BlackBox solutions might be priced for industrial users.

There's only a 200 foot distance, eh? Have you considered WiFi with aimed antennas?

Reply to
whit3rd

Guy Macon Wrote

There are a few SDSL modems which can theoretically can be used back to back.

Similar prices to the extenders that Ecnerwal mentioned, SDSL modems might be cheaper in quantity. SDSL might work (at lowish speed) on longer cables than the extenders, though irrelervant to the original question from Mook.

I don't think this is easily possible with the sort of ADSL modems usually used for home internet connections. I suspect that at minimum it would require serious firmware changes and the different upstream and downstream frequencys would be a big problem.

I think we have seen all the good answers to this now. I can think of a few other random ideas, like modifying "homeplug" style network-over-mains-wiring devices or linking 900MHz wifi equipment using the twisted pair instead of through the air.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Thats what I'm going to try. Just looking for someone that understands the hardware details of ethernet to know if this is something that will work or is doomed to failure.

The key points are that we don't want to do anything external to the network cards in the laptop and the test equipment. We just want to hook a cable with 1 twisted pair to the the TX and RX pins (I'd guess you'd short them like rs485) on the ethernet ports on both ends and have it work.

Reply to
mook Johnson