Error Correction by Hamming's Code

Greetings!

Here is the situation: I have Static RAM chip, for example, 128Kx8. And my goal is adding ECC circuit to it. Error Correction Code is based on Hamming's one. I believe to achieve the goal I need second SRAM chip in which there are parity-bits for data-bits stored in first chip. Also I think that there must be something controlling both of chips - FPGA, CPU, microcontroller or, best of all, specialized ECC-chip. The question is in this controlling chip - how to choose and where to find. Thank you!

Reply to
baraserg

Doesn't anyone do their own homework anymore ?:-) Sheeeeesh!

...Jim Thompson

I've wondered that.

I wonder if the posters realise that getting free answers does not increase their own knowledge? Probably not.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

Actually, this guy sounds like he's done some homework, and now he's just looking for a chip, if there's already one on the market, to do what he wants done so he doesn't have to write as much code.

Anybody heard of an ECC memory controller chip?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Atmel and micron have some IP cores for ECC. But it looks like only PC based bridges have ECC implemented. Not standalone.

And it does seem like he did his home work.

Martin Riddle

DDR controllers (not just PC based stuff) and later come with ECC embedded.

If the implementation were public? It would probably be trivial to implement in HDL, which would very probably fit into a tiny CPLD which could then feed the ECC RAM.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

No, he has not done his homework. If OP had 'e would be using Hanning code or better instead of Hamming code. Besides a Hamming code IP module is available at open cores.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller