Epson Printer Troubleshooting

I've got a client who just installed Windows XP Pro v. 2002, SP3, on an ASUS P4P800 motherboard, and an Epson Stylus Photo R300 on the USB.

The Epson driver seems to install, but when he tries to print, he gets the little progress box, saying printing is complete, but nothing comes out.

I've been through M$'s "troubleshooting" section, and am at a loss as to where to look next.

Should I ask Epson? Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You're having us ASSuME that at some point someone has seen the device work.

ASSuMEing that includes the Auto-Test Page and a new cable...

...how does it do with a LiveCD?

Well, they're the ones who wrote the device driver.

Reply to
JeffM

Does the printer function correctly when connected to a 'known good' computer?

Does the symptom recur after a cold boot of the computer?

Does the client's computer print properly via a different USB printer?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

:I've got a client who just installed Windows XP Pro v. 2002, SP3, :on an ASUS P4P800 motherboard, and an Epson Stylus Photo R300 on :the USB. : :The Epson driver seems to install, but when he tries to print, he :gets the little progress box, saying printing is complete, but nothing :comes out. : :I've been through M$'s "troubleshooting" section, and am at a loss :as to where to look next. : :Should I ask Epson? Any other suggestions? : :Thanks, :Rich

A similar problem occurred with Epson Stylus Photo 700 with XP Pro SP2 on my PC. What happened is that these printers preceded XP by some years and Epson did not bother to update the drivers for XP - they would only work on Win95/98. When XP was released MS included a fairly basic set of drivers for these printers but you couldn't get the full capability of the Epson driver and the printing was fairly boggy. I found that the Epson drivers designed for Win2000 would run on XP so I installed them. The problem is that they were unsigned by MS and you had to elect to install them despite XP's protestations. What happens then is that every time you fire up XP it discovers this foreign printer with unsigned drivers so it goes ahead and installs a second printer but with the boggy MS drivers. You have to leave this printer installed to prevent the same thing happening at next reboot but you need to select the one using the Epson Win2000 driver as the default.

Reply to
Ross Herbert