Engineering wages

Hi Guys, Might be the wrong group for this, but here's my question, I have a nephew about 33 years old, he is a chemical engineer. He did not just get a degree, he learned his craft and is a very smart person with knowledge that goes much wider than his degree. He works for a in factory of a global chemical company, I think of German origin. Over the years he has redesigned reactors and a multitude of processes for maximum economy, Just one reactor he redesigned saved the company $100,000 every year. He has moved into putting every function under computer control. He is/has designed the factory systems for PLC control. He writes the programs to keep track of everything, temperature , pressure, how much material is put in every container, how much is left in the hopper, how fast the conveyor is moving, keeps track of every employees output, if the motor at their station isn't running, they need to log the problem. He can pull up the factory on his laptop and check anything or change when or how somthing runs. His work has eliminated dozens of jobs in the factory and just recently his bosses job was eliminated, no longer needed, because information is so easily available my nephew can do what needs to be done. So he is a chemical engineer with a strong PLC design and programing knowledge. Should probably add mechanical knowledge, because he is the one called when there is a problem. Ok so that's what I know, he was in town this weekend and I got him talking and found he is only making $87,000. I was shocked, I thought and think he is worth much more than this. He is single and the factory is his life. I told him he deserves much more and he said well it's hard, meaning it's hard to ask for a raise. He is Asian and has what you might call the sterotyped characteristic, demure, modest, shy personality. ( my wife is Asian and she is not demure, don't cross her or you got trouble :-) So am I wrong? Is the wage scale higher than he is paid? Mike

Reply to
amdx

The best way to get more pay is to just switch jobs. It doesn't matter what your "proof" is, if you show to work and say pay me 25% more, I'm worth it it's just not going to happen.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

I don't know what the wage scale is for Chem-Es, but remember that he's only worth what someone ELSE will pay him. Since he doesn't have a degree, that might not be all he's really worth to the company. If he's not going to leave there isn't any reason to pay more.

Reply to
krw

That ain't partcually remarkable. In electronics for example, if you optimise the BOM cost of a product by $1 on a run of 100,000 you've saved $100,000. Trivial really.

Sounds like just your average practical engineering job. Nothing special there really, sorry to tell you.

You are misunderstanding how the business and engineering world's actually work I think.

No such thing as a wage scale in professional engineering really. But that sort of money would be fairly typical for a practical engineering job, regardless of qualifications, or how valuable you think you might be to the company.

You typically only get a large pay rise by changing companies to one that pays more from the outset. If you simply ask for more at your current job, regardless of how valuable you actually are too them, they will often talk you down or out of it completely. Sometimes threatening to leave also works, but you have to be incredibly valuable and be willing to have your bluff called.

But in any event there generally isn't a lot of money in practical engineering, it's a simple as that. There are exceptions like say in the mining industry here in Australia for example. If you want say double that amount you have to be very lucky, maybe in a niche under resourced market, or move into managment or some other area that generally pays more. If you want to get paid directly for the results you achieve for a company then you generally have to be on some commision system like in sales.

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

Actually he was about to move to another factory in another state with the same company and a $35,000 wage increase, but this didn't happen, I ddin't get the details. Mike

Reply to
amdx

I never said he didn't have a degree, he got his Chemical engineering degree from University of Florida, then went to Auburn University for his post doctorate. Mike

Reply to
amdx

I reread my original post and see where I worded that a little strange. "He did not just get a degree, he learned his craft" Sorry for the confusion. Mike

Reply to
amdx

Hi guys, So the answer is, move to a higher paying job or bluff that you will. Thanks, Mike

Reply to
amdx

You are only worth what it cost to replace you.

Tom

Reply to
tm

In my observation over 20 years in my company, bluffing has always been called. Do not threaten to leave if you do not mean it.

Reply to
brent

not counting cost of living, that would be one hell of a raise if it worked out!

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

this is an awesome quote.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Absolutely! This isn't a place to play around, you might not even get the chance to quit. If he's not happy where he is (salary is part of "happy"), find another job and leave and don't take a bribe to stay. Make it clean.

When I took my current job, I was asked if once the job was offered, would I accept a better offer from my (then) current employer. No, they already had the chance. I followed that with, "but the same applies to any future positions". Once I decide to leave, it's too late (so make sure I never want to leave ;-).

Reply to
krw

Except that management doesn't usually take all those costs into consideration. Your "worth" is diminished by that amount.

Reply to
krw

Exactly. And some management will always play hard ball regardless of the detrimental cost to them in terms of projects delays or whatever if someone leaves. They would rather lose hundreds of thousands of dollars in revenue and delays or whatever just to prove that nobody is expendable, that's how most big companies work. Many would rather see you leave than give you even a meager pay rise, regardless of how valuable you are to them. The only leverage you have over an employer is a threat to leave, and if they don't care then you ain't worth a dime extra!

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

I second that. The other problem with having your bluff called is that you will lose money (short term) if you have to leave and spend time looking for another job. So it's almost always better to simply find a better and/or higher paying job first and then leave.

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

No, threatening to leave is a bad move. Your only leverage is to find someone that will make you happier. They're not family. It's a job.

Reply to
krw

This is only an uncle asking these questions, he is happy with his position. I was just disappointed that he isn't earning more. Mike

Reply to
amdx

So you're trying to undermine his happiness. Got it. ;-)

Seriously, I don't think he's doing that badly, salary wise. Of course I don't know what the market is like for Chem-Es (likely pretty rough right now, like everything else). There are likely salary surveys for his specialty on the web. You might check that out. Bottom line, if he likes the job and the people, he's fine.

Please don't top-post.

Reply to
krw

now,