Engine Compartment Ambient Temperature Range?

OK -- slightly dumb question.

What is a safe figure to assume for engine compartment ambient temperatures? Semiconductor companies seem to agree that the automotive temperature range is -40C to +85C, but that's at the part, and you need some temperature drop to the outside world for heat to flow.

I'm sure the answer is some variation of "that depends on what part of the engine compartment", so to qualify, I'm thinking of places where one may reasonably mount electronics, like inner fenders or the firewall. If there were a chart somewhere that listed spots and expected high temperatures, that would be a nice reference.

Thanks.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

I checked a few datasheets for bosch motorsport parts, they rated an ignition driver for -40 to +120C, an ECU for -25 to +85C, coil-on-plug with build in driver -20 to +140C

Coolant will get to around 85C or so, as long as you stay away from the exhaust manifold I'd guess that could be a guide

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

When I was designing alternator regulators ad ignition systems, it was

-40°C to +140°C (chip temperature) that I had to design to.

That's why you'll find much electronics located under the "kick" panels in the passenger compartment ;-) ...Jim Thompson

No modern car has an 85C coolant temperature limit; these are PRESSURIZED water systems. Plan on 120C if your location is on the engine block, higher for exhaust system.

Reply to
whit3rd

Tim Wescott a écrit :

Just received an add for some automotive components, qualified up to

150°C, and with a reference to some automotive standard, namely AEC-Q100.

That leads to

where you can freely download a lot of stuff related to components qualification and automotive quality standards.

No, I don't know what's inside...

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Toasty, toasty. What's the MTBF you got out of that at 140C?

I received an email blurb from ST recently about a CPU from their STM8A series that's supposedly qualified to 150C. But the link doesn't work and their web site is quite screwed up. This is one of the companies that should perform a summary firing of their whole web design team, IMHO.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Silicon actually can handle it with ease.

One of my favorite customers was Schlumberger. They'd send one of my hybrids down an oil well hole, where it'd be exposed to 200°C while it took radiation data. Pull it back up, unplug it, discard it, and plug in a new one.

I had them send me some discards for examination...

Specifications, still dead-on.

Only "damage" was discolored gold of the DIP package.

...Jim Thompson

Ease? I've been warned by mfgs that the MTBF begins to drop seriously at those temps.

You designed their gamma ray tool? We've used that on a rig out at sea. But back then there were no ICs in it. The sono tool did but AFAIR mostly processors. It's amazing how hot those sondes still are when they pop back out on the derrick.

Schlumberger is a great company, I really liked them. They also had good safety and environmental policies. Once I chucked a small remnant of drinking water from my cup into the sea 50ft below. "Don't do that" ... "But it's just water" ... "Yeah, but don't do that".

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

This was back in bipolar days.

Yep. (Somewhere between 1970-1973) It was a hybrid, discrete transistors and diodes (chips), thick film resistors, chip capacitors, and, IIRC, TTL logic, on an alumina board, inside a dual-inline gold-plated CAN ;-)

I always liked Schlumberger... nice bunch of guys. ...Jim Thompson

Ah, from the days of the Kennewick man :-)

Then I've seen your stuff decades ago, I repaired one in what we called the "dog house". A short sea container off to the side of the caboose where the winch and the computer was. No heater in there ...

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Scratching my butt while trying to remember... I thought it was alpha particle detection ??? ...Jim Thompson

Then we may be talking about a different tool. The one I repaired was a gamma ray sonde.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Del used to make HV supplies for drilling, never seen the actual thing up close, But it was for the drill bit tip. Made out of some brown pressure formed material to take the heat. Think Spellman still operates what is left of Del.

Martin Riddle

I remember when Heathkit became Heath/Schlumberger. Heathkits were AWESOME - with their instructions and pre-measured wires and suchlike, they could be assembled by a partly trained gorilla. ;-) (I know, because I watched my older brother build the equivalent of a Harman-Kardan receiver.) ;-)

I once assembled an IO-10 'scope, but I screwed it up because I was impatient and had too many beers - while I was in a tizzy over how to fix a 'scope without a 'scope, one of my buddies offered to trade me his Scelbi 8H 8008 computer even up - both were about $600.00 at the time, and I'd been obsessed with computers ever since the Bendix/Control Data G-15 computer in high school (class of '67):

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

This is from SAE J1211 Revised NOV78:

TABLE 1?RECOMMENDED TEMPERATURE EXTREMES

Underhood

Location Maximum Temperature

-- Dash Panel 140 °C ( 285 °F)

-- Engine (Typical) 150 °C ( 300 °F)

-- Choke Housing 205 °C ( 400 °F)

-- Starter Cable Near Manifold 205 °C ( 400 °F)

-- Exhaust Manifold 650 °C (1200 °F)

Reply to
John - KD5YI

FYI, Cypress' Automotive qualified parts are specified to 105C.

Reply to
John - KD5YI