EMC problems on High Voltage's DC motor

I have High voltage DC motor (240Vdc with normal operated at 7000 rpm). The EMC test for this motor have been failure. There are some problems of the EMC at the frequency arround 60-70Mhz.

Basically, I have added so capacitors and choke on the motor before, the connection and vakue is as followed:

o-----------[ choke, 8uH ]---+-------+ | | | --- | --- capacitor 3300uF | | [Rotor] +------- GROUND | | | --- | --- capacitor 3300uF | | o-----------[ choke, 8uH ]---+-------+

In order to reduce the EMC on the 60Mhz, which components been added on? Thank you very much.

Reply to
Electronic Swear

where is 60 and 70 MHz coming from in the system?

are there electronics in the motor?

are there brushes sparking in the motor?

is the motor driven by an electronic PWM supply?

Mark

Reply to
Mark

dumb question What do the motor manufactures say?

martin

After the first death, there is no other. (Dylan Thomas)

Reply to
martin griffith

These 3300uF are hardly good for 60MHz. Get Something smaller in parallel, say 10nF

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

I presume you meant to write commutator....

perhaps the OP is using a brushless electronically commutated motor...

Reply to
Mark

3300uF caps, if thats what youve really got, are electrolytic (I assume!!) and all wound caps are inductive. You need flat plate caps, eg ceramics, for the hf stuff. Try .01uF ceramics

(Just trying to imagine the OP with 3300uF paper caps...)

NT

Reply to
bigcat

A DC motor tends to have a collector which fires on the shorts and gaps. Some winding capacitances together with the winding inductivity could create a resonating circuit in whatever frequency range.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

A brief overview of DC brush commutated motors.

On page 16 the schematic shows a standard EMI filter known from 12V DC motors. (Found this typical EMI circuit only in a 42V/PWM article.)

Dieter

Reply to
Dieter Brozio

Yes.

I never heard of them in this voltage range. There are synchroneous motors in this voltage range which require a hefty frequency converter.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

Thanks for all reply.

I think I have a typing error as 3000uF must not correct. My meaning is using a 3000pF capacitor. And I will try on the following setting.

o--------[ choke, 8uH ]--+--------+-------+ | | | | | --- capacitor | | --- 10nF | | | capacitor --- [Rotor] +------- GROUND 470nF --- | | | | --- capacitor | | --- 10nF | | | o--------[ choke, 8uH ]--+--------+-------+

Hope that I can solve the problems.

Reply to
Electronic Swear

the circuit is good, but the physical arrangment of the components is also very important at 60 MHz.

Look up the term "feedthu" or "feedthrough" capacitors.

You need to have a very low inducance RF path to the metal case of the motor.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

following setting.

what type of caps r they?

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Should it be cerematic capacitor? Any suggestions?

Reply to
Electronic Swear

Assuming the 3300uF is a typo. Probably 3300pF.

To reduce EMI on the incoming power cables you might consider a capacitor (or two capacitors) on the left hand side of the inductors. Perhaps also use twin screened power cables.

--
Tony Williams.
Reply to

I have tested with the 10nF ground capacitor adding on the motor for suppression. The result is not so obvious. Of course, to increase the capacitor from 10nf to a bigger one, the performance may improve. However, I would like to ask:

Because I am followed EN55014 for EMC testing, may I know that is there any limitation on capacitance of live / ground capacitor on using? As I remember that there is some requirement on selecting the cap. value for suppression. Anyone can give me a actual figure that what values that cannot be over?

Thnaks a lot.~

Reply to
Electronic Swear

I read in sci.electronics.design that Electronic Swear wrote (in ) about 'EMC problems on High Voltage's DC motor', on Wed, 27 Apr 2005:

The maximum value is not in EN 55014-1 (I hope you are not looking at an out-of-date EN55014!) but in whichever safety standard applies to your product. A maximum value of current in the protective conductor is specified. It varies with the type of product.

\'What is a Moebius strip?\'
John Woodgate