Elliptic vs Elliptical Filter

Hi This post is admittedly a little nit-picky, but there seems to be some disa greement over the correct alternate terminology of Cauer filters. Most tex ts refer to ?Elliptic? filters. However, the term ?Elliptical? fil ter is also used. In my opinion, ?elliptic? is the correct terminology , since the pole locations are determined by solution of elliptic functions , whose periods are determined by solution of Jacobi elliptic integrals. O pinions are welcome.

Reply to
Kral

disagreement over the correct alternate terminology of Cauer filters. Most texts refer to ?Elliptic? filters. However, the term ?Elliptical? filter is also used. In my opinion, ?elliptic? is the correct terminology, since the pole locations are determined by solution of elliptic functions, whose periods are determined by solution of Jacobi elliptic integrals. Opinions are welcome.

Except if you build it inside a rugby ball, in which case it would be an ellipsoidal filter. Maintain focus, and ask your directrix. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

disagreement over the correct alternate terminology of Cauer filters. Most texts refer to ?Elliptic? filters. However, the term ?Elliptical? filter is also used. In my opinion, ?elliptic? is the correct terminology, since the pole locations are determined by solution of elliptic functions, whose periods are determined by solution of Jacobi elliptic integrals. Opinions are welcome.

Or, in extreme cases, your dominatrix.

 Click to see the full signature

sagreement over the correct alternate terminology of Cauer filters. Most t exts refer to ?Elliptic? filters. However, the term ?Elliptical? f ilter is also used. In my opinion, ?elliptic? is the correct terminolo gy, since the pole locations are determined by solution of elliptic functio ns, whose periods are determined by solution of Jacobi elliptic integrals. Opinions are welcome.

My dominatrix says "get away from that computer screen and take out the gar bage." The directrix is strangely silent. After that slap upside the ear hole, it's difficult to maintain focus. Jon Lark

Reply to
jd_lark

IMHO this is just another dyslexical discussion.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

It seems the consensus is, forgetaboutit.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

disagreement over the correct alternate terminology of Cauer filters. Most texts refer to ?Elliptic? filters. However, the term ?Elliptical? filter is also used. In my opinion, ?elliptic? is the correct terminology, since the pole locations are determined by solution of elliptic functions, whose periods are determined by solution of Jacobi elliptic integrals. Opinions are welcome.

This is the kind of (pseudo)issue that keeps idiots employed. Use what you think best and to the devil with rest.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

disagreement over the correct alternate terminology of Cauer filters. Most texts refer to ?Elliptic? filters. However, the term ?Elliptical? filter is also used. In my opinion, ?elliptic? is the correct terminology, since the pole locations are determined by solution of elliptic functions, whose periods are determined by solution of Jacobi elliptic integrals. Opinions are welcome.

KHKHKHKHKHKHK.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

disa=

tex=

=93Elliptical=94 fil=

terminology=

functions=

integrals. O=

Very much so, but it inherits from really crappy ESL instruction that does not make points about exceptions stated in the codified rules; such as "dynamical" instead of the correct "dynamic". Common even in academic papers since at least the 1940s. "Lolly, lolly, lolly get your adverbs here" class pre-school early grade school over generalization.

Yes, it is a pet peeve. I only have a dozen or so.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

disagreement over the correct alternate terminology of Cauer filters. Most texts refer to ?Elliptic? filters. However, the term ?Elliptical? filter is also used. In my opinion, ?elliptic? is the correct terminology, since the pole locations are determined by solution of elliptic functions, whose periods are determined by solution of Jacobi elliptic integrals. Opinions are welcome.

Or ask your dominatrix >:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

This is the kind of opinion that keeps everyone dumbed-down. This goes right along with the "theory" of education where kids get to make up their own spelling of words. Don't want to hurt their self-of-steam!

Elliptic is correct for the reasons stated. Sheesh. World goes to hell in hand basket!

Why is it that the dumbest clowns always call everyone else an idiot?

Reply to
benj

Or "butt-buddies" ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

solution

what

in

Are you a dynamical doofus?

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

sagreement over the correct alternate terminology of Cauer filters.  Most texts refer to ?Elliptic? filters.  However, the term ?Elliptical ? filter is also used.  In my opinion, ?elliptic? is the correct te rminology, since the pole locations are determined by solution of elliptic functions, whose periods are determined by solution of Jacobi elliptic inte grals.  Opinions are welcome.

It is elliptic, for sure.

Reply to
Simon S Aysdie