Elektor June 2005 on mobile phone radiation

I just got my second subscription copy of Elektor Electronics magazine in the mail and I must say I'm impressed with their lively approach to the mobile phone radiation debate. I would expect their newsstand distribution to start soon, May 05 issue says 21 May next. Besides a general article on the perils and blessings of SHF radiation from various angles, political and international, I found the SHF Electrosmog Detector project a surprisingly simple design. It's based on a wideband log detector IC and a PCB stripline antenna. The output is calibrated in volts/m with a LED readout. I am certainly going to order one as the article says Elektor also supply the detector ready built (can't seem to find price and availability though in the mag). Elektor in full colour and with their house style PCBs certainly makes their competitor EPE look drab and amateurish, EW high brow and otherwise "lost".

TA Rich

Reply to
homelab

Your kidding, there is a debate?

Fact: non-ionizing radiation (everything below UV light frequency) produce only heating effects - not molecular changes. Cell phone power can barely produce even heating effects. Unless you find your hand getting obviously warm from using it, there is little chance of it doing any harm.

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm

magazine

radiation

based

output

ready

mag).

makes

power

doing

More facts: you haven't read the article or the papers or watched any TV recently; apart from a hand you have brains; not sure about the size though.

Mobile phones and base stations are TDM bursted at about 200 Hz which is well within the reach of brains and nervous systems. A subway carriage with ten people using their mobiles to say they'll be late will easily represent 40-60 V/metre worth of radiation.

Richard

Reply to
homelab

Sure there's a debate. They had a debate in one US state to arrive at the value of PI. They arrived at 3, but it was by democratic means, so it must be right.

Unfortunately there are those who believe you can debate scientific truths and facts. They are mistaken.

Doesn't stop them bleating, though.

Pearce Consulting

Don Pearce

Yeah - what's the resonant frequency of a DNA molecule?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Or if there are antismokerists or rightist fundies involved. ;-D

Spehro, this stuff isn't gobbledy-gook; it's perfectly comprehensible. It's merely nonsense. ;-P

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

That's not a fact but an assumption.

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

Well, for any practical electromagnetic intensity it's a fact. It's _never_ an assumption; the criteria for ionizing materials are well known.

Of course, if you get lawyers involved, then you can redefine "fact" ... at least for purposes of court proceedings.

jp

Reply to
John Perry

Try a web search on "microwave oven" and cancer or "cell phone" and cancer and you'll get oodles of gobbledy-gook. For example:

BIOLOGICAL EFFECTS OF EXPOSURE

Exposure to microwave emissions also had an unpredictably negative effect upon the general biological welfare of humans. This was not discovered until the Russians experimented with highly sophisticated equipment and discovered that a human did not even need to ingest the material substance of the microwaved food substances: that even exposure to the energy-field itself was sufficient to cause such adverse side effects that the use of any such microwave apparatus was forbidden in 1976 by Soviet state law.

The following are the enumerated effects:

  1. A breakdown of the human "life-energy field" in those who were exposed to microwave ovens while in operation, with side-effects to the human energy field of increasingly longer duration;

  1. A degeneration of the cellular voltage parallels during the process of using the apparatus, especially in the blood and lymphatic areas;

  2. A degeneration and destabilization of the external energy activated potentials of food utilization within the processes of human metabolism;

  1. A degeneration and destabilization of internal cellular membrane potentials while transferring catabolic [metabolic breakdown] processes into the blood serum from the digestive process;

  2. Degeneration and circuit breakdowns of electrical nerve impulses within the junction potentials of the cerebrum [the front portion of the brain where thought and higher functions reside];

  1. A degeneration and breakdown of nerve electrical circuits and loss of energy field symmetry in the neuroplexuses [nerve centers] both in the front and the rear of the central and autonomic nervous systems;

  2. Loss of balance and circuiting of the bioelectric strengths within the ascending reticular activating system [the system which controls the function of consciousness];

  1. A long term cumulative loss of vital energies within humans, animals and plants that were located within a 500-meter radius of the operational equipment;

  2. Long lasting residual effects of magnetic "deposits" were located throughout the nervous system and lymphatic system;

  1. A destabilization and interruption in the production of hormones and maintenance of hormonal balance in males and females;

  2. Markedly higher levels of brainwave disturbance in the alpha, theta, and delta wave signal patterns of persons exposed to microwave emission fields, and;

  1. Because of this brainwave disturbance, negative psychological effects were noted, including loss of memory, loss of ability to concentrate, suppressed emotional threshold, deceleration of intellective processes, and interruptive sleep episodes in a statistically higher percentage of individuals subjected to continual range emissive field effects of microwave apparatus, either in cooking apparatus or in transmission stations.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Hello Richard,

Wouldn't that require all the phone's RF stages to be phase-locked to each other and the subway car to be the size of a phone booth?

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Spehro,

1/3 of a mile? Wow. Must have been some scientist that came up with that.

So in conclusion it may be better to revert to the charcoal barbie. That's what I am doing tonight, New York steak and bratwurst. There is, of course, a health warning in order as well. The beverage that might be consumed while standing around the Weber could be detrimental to our health. Oh well.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

an assumption; the criteria for ionizing materials

I wouldn't mind the carrier alone, its the bursts I don't like. Its probably nothing, but you've got to admit, there is a tiny possibility of this being harmfull.

The more interesting debate was in Circuit Cellar, about microcode safety. A really good read.

Is it really possible to crack the PIC (16C84) so easily? Scary.

--
Siol
Rather than a heartless beep

which

No, and, no. The car acts as an imperfect Faraday cage with radiated power levels adding, all the phones stepping up their power to max. because the base station is weak. Japanese research has shown ICNRP safe levels can be far exceeded even in not so bad conditions. I don't know about your local subway, but to have phonebooth space around dinner time in a Tokio, NY or London subway car is a dream surely.

Richard

Reply to
homelab

Lots 'o them already went before you, with a final goodbye from the asbestos and cigarette industries once considered 'harmless' too.

Richard.

Reply to
homelab

Sheeesh! Is sassafras banned?

Is you want things really screwed up, just get the loony left involved. They'll convince the government to ban anything.

...Jim Thompson

what I am doing tonight, New York steak and bratwurst.

might be consumed while standing around the Weber could

Sometimes a man needs to sacrifice himself :)

--
Siol
Rather than a heartless beep
Or a rude error message,
See these simple words: "File not found."
Reply to
SioL

How many, outside the mining and shipbuilding industries have come down with asbestosis? How many Billion$ spent, for what? As long as you're on a roll, don't forget Alar, saccharin, fluoridated water, DDT, and sassafrass.

--
  Keith
Reply to

It was (for making root beer) at one time.

S/anything/everything/

--
  Keith
Reply to

Hello Richard,

Huh?

We live in the country. No subway, except for the sandwich shop in town with that name. Cell phones just plain won't work in many places here and that affords us a serene quietness ;-)

I wouldn't want to live there.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

but you do like New York steak and bratwurst?

Reply to
homelab