Electronics - how to ruin a good hobby. A story with no morals...

Funny! My exact path, except I still dabble in architecture.

[snip]

But you never really understood how circuits work.

...Jim Thompson

Amusing.

I was also the kid who had no time for the street - I was too busy trying to fix things.

In an echo of Jim, I note you said: "My discrete designs never performed that well and books didn't tell me how to fix them"

Books never tell you how to fix them - that is the realm of experience and knowledge. Experience and knowledge are never found in a book of Any type. And if you don't *love* electronics, you'll never learn, anyway. It's hard for outsiders to understand the passion of a designer.

As I said - amusing. Yet sad in a way :)

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

When I was 10 years old my dad gave me a Radio Shack 50-in 1 electronic project kit for my birthday, and the first time I heard my voice come out of the speaker I was hooked. I started buying electronics magazines to read about all the kit projects I couldn't afford, let alone assemble with dad's soldering iron (gee it fixed the plumbing though), and I was excited.

At 14 I bought my first data book, a National Linear. It was blue and orange, and full of IC's and the schematics that would make them do cool things. Then I learned about logic and got a CMOS data book as well. While my friends probably had a pile of Hustler mags under their beds, I would sit up until 3AM poring over my data books and dreaming about all the amazing devices I was going to design one day. When I got my first circuit working with an LM555 I knew there was no stopping me.

And so I abandoned my plans to become an architect and enrolled for engineering instead. Most of the money I earned pumping petrol, I spent on new output transistors for the kit amps I kept blowing up, or new speakers for the ones I didn't. I had started designing my own basic circuits, mostly by adapting schematics out of magazines, and I came up with brilliant ideas like automatic rain-sensing windscreen wipers. (That one worked, well in a downpour anyway, so I guess it needed a little refinement. About 20 years later Puegot started using the same idea, so I wasn't completely misguided, just too ambitious). But still I wanted to learn more and more about design so I studied and read and soldered and found out what 240V through the heart felt like. I had brains and enthusiasm and ideas, and I knew that combination would one day make me rich and respected and I'd get to name some cool circuit after me, just like Butterworth or Schottky or Colpitts. The electronics industry seemed to have an obvious hole in it - the salesmen knew nothing, and the geeks couldn't sell anything, so all I had to do was graduate, choose my weapon and devour the world.

Two years out of university and things were on track. I had my own business and at least one good customer and I spent my spare time designing a range of products. The first few were rubbish and I still feel guilty for accepting money for them, but people seemed to have faith in my enthusiasm so they kept coming back and I kept improving, and some of the stuff we made actually worked quite well. Something wasn't right though. My discrete designs never performed that well and books didn't tell me how to fix them. I started taking circuits from magazines instead, or borrowing ideas from competitors products, and in the end I gave up and just used I.C.'s and the trusty old collection of National and Motorola data books. The bills got paid, even if it did take 80 hours a week at the bench.

Things grew, things changed. Some things worked and others didn't, we did some stupid projects but nobody got killed or sued me. Gradually I started to find that good ideas or hard work don't amount to shit when you're up against salesmen and spin doctors, and so my disillusionment grew. The more complex our products became, the more complex their problems, and nothing is quite as crushing as delivering the first run of a new device, only to receive a phone call to say "they work fine on the bench but they all oscillate on site, fix them now!" And so the miracle of xanax began to help me through those difficult projects.

I was mostly honest, but I got screwed. Nobody sent me broke but it all wore me down. Designing didn't seem such fun any more when anything I could design, could be bought from China for fifteen dollars. We made our money in contracting installation services to the building industry, brute work with the twin evils of Site Managers and Unions, while I was always trying to design that ultimate range of critically acclaimed products, making batches of 25 or 50 or 100 and no too batches the same.

I got engaged to a doctor. I was 38. My parents were overjoyed.

And then one day, after 15 years in business, one particular guy stitched me up in a very ungentlemanly fashion and cost me my biggest customer. There was absolutely nothing I could do about it, agreed my psychiatrist, and wrote a repeat for Zoloft. Nothing was fun any more and I found myself sleeping on the floor of my office on Saturday afternoons, when I should have been tweaking my new designs. Working late was downloading p*rn off that new thing, the internet, and I couldn't be bothered designing anything new. Nothing ever worked the way it was supposed to anyway, and besides we were still analogue in a world going digital. Between the panic attacks and depression the only thing that appealed to me was picking up girls on the net and I had affairs, which out of guilt I confessed to my fiance and that was the end of that.

My life sucked and I would sleep until midday and expect the guys at work to hold it together for me. Which they mostly did. And so one day I rang a guy I knew and asked him to contact my competitor, and see if he would buy me out.

Two years later it finally happened, he bought most of the business for not much more than the value of the stock but it was something. I had no plans but a guy I met on the internet had started a p*rn site and asked me if I could come up with some ideas, so I did and he started paying me money. Before too long I was feeling much better and coming up with some cool ideas for web sites of my own, so he helped me start one and gave me a desk in his building to work from. I spent more and more time there. It was great fun, thinking up ideas for photo shoots and hanging around with cool nekkid girls, while the last 2 guys left in my fading electronics empire limped along churning out small quantities of stuff at the old factory, the part of the business I couldn't sell.

Very late one night I got a call from the security company that there was an alarm at the old building. So I hauled my arse down there to find it was a soldering iron left on, or some such thing. I hadn't even been there for many weeks and I noticed my desk looked unfamiliar. It had piles and piles of papers, 10 years accumulation, that didn't seem to matter any more, and the walls were covered in personal things which didn't seem to be a part of me any more either. My bookshelves were stuffed with references that suddenly, I realsied, I would never again open, and they smelled a bit musty. And right up the top in a neat row was my complete collection of National Semiconductor data books, right down to the 1973 Linear edition, the one that kicked all this off, the cover held on with tape.

I wandered down the back, past the other offices and through the workshop. Everything seemed much older and dirtier. The wall is covered in hundreds of bins of parts, IC's, switches,relays and every passive value you could get, in reels of 1000 no less. This was the likes of which I could only dream about at age 15. Oh to have all this at my disposal so I could dream up cool things and just sit down and MAKE them without having to wait for my next $12 pay packet and queue up at McGrath's for my piddling shopping list of resistors and diodes! But it didn't matter to me now. I thumbed through the drawers and pulled a few open, and eventually I came across a little set of 8 clear plastic drawers in a tin cabinet. I remember buying this with $2 my grandma gave me when I was 14, and inside I found a little jumble of parts, some half watt resistors and even a germanium transistor or two, and a ferrite rod wrapped in wire by my own teenage hands; among the first components I had every bought, nearly 30 years ago. Like a seed they had germinated all THIS, I thought, but maybe spread more like weeds? And so I realised, after 20 years, that I had ruined a perfectly good hobby by turning it into a profession; that was really the problem. And so I cleared my desk into the dumpster and locked the door for the last time.

Two years later and my web sites are doing very well. They may be p*rn but they are good p*rn, respectful to the models and customers alike, and I employ 8 people. The old electronic business is still hanging in there but I only stop by to use the workshop for some hobby welding or to sign documents. I can't tell my mother what I do, in fact most of my friends don't know either, but my sites are good and I'm proud of them, in a pervy way. Tonight I was interviewed on the radio from the other side of the world and I came home to my beautiful wife, who is a photographer and model, half my age, and we talked about the new house we're going to buy. I turned on the computer to check my sites and answer some emails, but I don't look at p*rn any more. (After only 2 years, I have ruined another perfectly good hobby.)

I opened my news reader and came across this group, where I used to post perplexing questions and some of you kindly helped me out. I read a few posts and answered a few too, but they were very simple things, and I still feel no more knowledgeable than I did at 15, and everybody else seems to know more. It's funny how time works, you never actually feel any older, you just feel sort of dumber and less useful, but nothing seems to matter as much. Nobody cured my nervous breakdown from the late 90's, least of all the drugs, I guess I just grew out of it. I am still the same person I was at 14, but I can't help wondering how all this happened; how a "boy genius" high achiever with good intentions and enthusiasm, with a grammar school education and from a middle class home, with parents of impeccable morals and the highest community respect, with a university degree in engineering; became a 44 year old professional pervert.

Perhaps the answer was there 30 years ago. If I had just ditched the Linear Data Book and picked up a pile of Hustlers like the other guys, maybe I could have saved myself 20 years of grief. And just perhaps, the worst is yet to come; but for now, I have never been happier in my entire life.

Reply to
dave

You can choose to see the superior and feel inferior, or the inferior and feel superior, or you can mind your own path and take pride in your best effort.

It's funny how time works, you never actually

I suppose I would if I had let slip what you had.

Nobody cured

The head and heart, are a 2nd order differential system. Emotions are the consequence of rational value judgments (or the irrational delusions of the insane). The will to think and plan is sparked by enthusiasm, love for creativity. Therefor when a shrink gives you a drug, he is impairing you from feeling pain that, as a rational person, should be warning you to turn around, and is short-circuiting your motivation. The bastard's poisoning you.

I am still the same

You took a value, money, out of the context of creativity. Perhaps you feel guilty for encouraging guys and girls to confuse lust, a drug-like infatuation, with love, which is a reaction to personality.

Most of those the world can't corrupt, it will stomp down. Those who the world corrupts, it ruins the honor of creation for.

What profits a man that gains the world and loses his soul? One of the more profound statements of Ayn Rand I've read:

"The Romantic Manifesto"

  1. Philosophy and Sense of Life

Sex is to love what drugs are to the mind, a cheap shortcut that destroys the purpose and meaning of it. Surely you can do better than being a dope peddler?

I suppose I shouldn't preach a moral lecture, because even though I know better, I've lost the will to do better for such a sick culture. I should do better for myself, but I've been a Christian altruist so long I don't know how.

Scott

--
**********************************

DIY Piezo-Gyro, PCB Drill Bot & More Soon!
http://home.comcast.net/~scottxs/

POLITICS, n.
A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles.
The conduct of public affairs for private advantage. - Ambrose Bierce

Don\'t ever give up what you want in life. The struggle is worth it - Ayn
Rand

**********************************
Reply to
Scott Stephens

I presume this is fiction, though it probably has a basis in your experiences. You can't be 14 forever. What you seem to be saying is that you chose a profession and got bored with it without really paying attention to what was going on. If you're smart enough to troubleshoot circuits, you should also be able to troubleshoot your career without indulging in self-pity or self-destruction ("cleaning out the desk into the dumpster").

The business world is full of people who will treat you badly, and also people who will treat you well. Your job is to distinguish them. And above all, treat yourself well.

Reply to
mc

I've been contemplating writing a book called "How to Stop Being a Geek, Hate People and Mobs, then Break Them".

There are

Just as head and heart interact in the individual, cultural beliefs and motives interact with individual beliefs and motives to create higher order complex dynamics. It is just such cultural dynamics that really tear up individuals - altruism; the cultural expectation that individuals ought to sacrifice or act on behalf of the group at their own expense. It is the belief in altruism that turns individuals into their own victimizers, and turns leaders into looters and cannibals.

Honesty and

I don't believe that.Bill Gates, for instance, may have gone over to the dark side, but that isn't how he started. Or Wasniak at Apple, et. Too much of a good thing is harmful.

No, its a predatory culture that punishes altruists by sucking all their blood until they become bitter, and bitter coworkers that hate anyone who is not as miserable as they.

It can take

Some altruists are never brave enough to hate predators and the mob, that they can love themselves. Its the belief that altruism is good, and egoism is bad. Such people are condemned to bleed themselves to death to feed the predatory parasites.

Honesty and business are not mutually exclusive. It takes higher-order dynamics, like the government enabling slave-labor and imports from slave-labor cultures, to force business into ruthless cut-throat behavior. It's bad policy to screw smart people.

The best are either smart enough to see through the abuse and go to where they are honored and rewarded, or smart enough to rip-off and start their own predatory scam, like Dave.

How can you proudly take a pay-packet from those that are using you like a cheap tool, if you're not screwing them back?

Scott

--
**********************************

DIY Piezo-Gyro, PCB Drill Bot & More Soon!
http://home.comcast.net/~scottxs/

POLITICS, n.
A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles.
The conduct of public affairs for private advantage. - Ambrose Bierce

Don\'t ever give up what you want in life. The struggle is worth it - Ayn
Rand

**********************************
Reply to
Scott Stephens

It sounds real except for the p*rn part. How many guys get lucky enough to take pictures of pretty young naked girls all day? Nope, that part is beyond the pale. BTW its not sex but pornography I meant to equate with drug abuse.

As Roger Lascelles said, some people never come to understand the nature of the evil around them.

Nature demands we become strong enough to punish predatory animals. Those that do not hunt down and punish predators enable the evil that corrupts and destroys society. Those that sit back thinking that if people are stupid enough to be abused, they deserve it, end up creating a large number of cynical, sick monsters that eventually transmit the disease of corruption to the culture, and then the world.

Wars are no coincidence. When enough people learn that theft and destruction is easier and acceptable, after their politicians have played gangs against each other bribing votes and influence peddling, that self-indebted culture looks for other ripe countries to plunder.

Politics is legalized gang warfare, and once the principle of tax-plunder is established, its only a matter of time until the con schemes are used to plunder other, bigger gangs.

Scott

--
**********************************

DIY Piezo-Gyro, PCB Drill Bot & More Soon!
http://home.comcast.net/~scottxs/

POLITICS, n.
A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles.
The conduct of public affairs for private advantage. - Ambrose Bierce

Don\'t ever give up what you want in life. The struggle is worth it - Ayn
Rand

**********************************
Reply to
Scott Stephens

[snip long story]

How interesting. Thanks for sharing that.

If you are happier now, then congratulations. There's nothing wrong with not liking electronics. It's just a shame it took you so long to figure it out!

But no sense crying over spilt milk. And you are still young, so no real harm done.

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

We're suckers, but one thing I have learned over the years is never design your own if a reference design is available. And more recently, never write new code if open source freebie stuff is available.

Most recently... get out and do something else.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

I read in sci.electronics.design that Scott Stephens wrote (in ) about 'Electronics - how to ruin a good hobby. A story with no morals...', on Wed, 24 Aug 2005:

That reminds me of the worst excesses of the British militant trade unions of 40 years ago.

For a Christian altruist, you're really rather full of hate, aren't you? In your own doctrine, 'the labourer is worthy of his hire'. Most employers are very far from the exploitative monsters you picture. Note that I am not, and never have been, an employer. I was an employee for

25 years, and now I'm self-employed, which I prefer. But I don't regard that 25 years as slavery.
John Woodgate

Yes. I should have specified recovering Christian altruist.

I don't regard the years I've spent working for others as slavery; I was made offers and I acceptance. If I wasn't young and naive, I would have asked better questions and walked away. But as I said, a culture that abuses those too young, naive and stupid enough to realize what is happening to them is nothing to be proud of.

And if we can't be proud of what we do in our careers, we're w***es, prostituting our brains for money. I didn't go to work for Rockwell or Argonne so I could help the waste tax dollars. I didn't got to for Motorola so I could help them waste their stockholders equity. I thought the world would be a better, not cheaper place for my efforts. But if everyone else wants to dilute the value of the dollar with counterfeit work-effort, I suppose I'm stupid for not helping them drill holes in the Titanic, as it were.

What I will complain about is the intrusions into my personal life by my employers, there immoral discrimination and consequent nasty working environments (which I voted with my feet to protest) and dishonesty, among other things.

Scott

--
**********************************

DIY Piezo-Gyro, PCB Drill Bot & More Soon!
http://home.comcast.net/~scottxs/

POLITICS, n.
A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles.
The conduct of public affairs for private advantage. - Ambrose Bierce

Don\'t ever give up what you want in life. The struggle is worth it - Ayn
Rand

**********************************
Reply to
Scott Stephens

Why? People are literally non-magnetic. So you must mean there is some complementary personality dynamic involved, such as sadist-masochist, hero-sidekick, predator-prey. Perhaps you mean tech people don't like to do business, and business people need techs?

You're ambiguous. Someone that uses you, as you said, as a tool may do it indifferently, yet they are committing an immoral act by not acting towards others as an end in themselves, but at a thing like a stone. Hitler or Stalin could do likewise. It doesn't matter if they don't mean the harm, if they do harm indifferently.

And there's nothing wrong with being friendly and acting in your own interests. I can't tell what you mean.

Scott

--
**********************************

DIY Piezo-Gyro, PCB Drill Bot & More Soon!
http://home.comcast.net/~scottxs/

POLITICS, n.
A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles.
The conduct of public affairs for private advantage. - Ambrose Bierce

Don\'t ever give up what you want in life. The struggle is worth it - Ayn
Rand

**********************************
Reply to
Scott Stephens

There is a lot to be learnt from magazines and competitor's products, while at the same time developing one's own understanding of how the parts interact - and picking up that specialised knowledge that goes with each application area. I think part of practicing electronics is knowing how far one can take it, and working at a depth and in an application area where one is productive.

I wish there was a book called "Understanding People for Geeks". There are so many tech people who don't understand the human animal. The human is a dangerous, crafty, loveable beast, with complex motivations. Honesty and knowledge-seeking are not the predominant drives of a human who is successful at making money - or most humans for that matter. It can take

20, 40 years, for a geek to come to terms with humans - or like my own father, never in a lifetime.

Business types see tech people as tools to be used. You see electronics people who are sucked dry after years of battling and a few rip-offs.

I must say I prefer a pay packet to running a business. The pay packet tells me my employer is serious about the business - not like those chancers who wasted my time on quotations and discussions that never produced a return. And I don't have the worry of tax payments and book keeping.

Now I am happy to pay the bills and feed the kids. I could have done it all so much smarter, but it has been a hell of a ride. I try to see the good things and be kind to people.

Oh to have all this at my

Dave, I too spent money at McGrath's. Remember the counter staff - seedy, cocky and ignorant. In my garage I have some parts and modest test gear which I could never have dreamed of owning in the 1960s - yet I hardly touch it - too dark, too cold, solder fumes - kind of leaves a void.

Roger Lascelles

Reply to
Roger Lascelles

Would you take a regular pay-check from Adolf Hitler or Joey Stalin in a death-factory?

On further reflection, I identify the essentials of geek and business-predator:

Geek: A person that thinks social competency can replace either brutality, deceit or popularity in a dishonest, rat-race culture.

Predatory Businessman: A person that thinks either deceit, brutality or popularity (pull) can replace competency in a capitalist system predicated on productivity rather than theft.

The only redeeming quality of this forum is it helps me identify the precise nature and modus operandi of the evil corrupting the system.

The ugly subtext here is the rat-race premise; People are to be deceived and bullied as means to your ends, which is making money. And money is good however you make it, and therefore you are good however you make your money.

Only a fool thinks they are good by doing good things for bad people. The subconscious mind we rely on to identify and create eventually becomes the means by which dishonest people undermine their own motivation, as witnessed by Dave's personal problems.

And my culture, by its choice to deceive me in my naive youth, has chosen me as its prophet rather than its workman. So be it.

Scott

--
**********************************

DIY Piezo-Gyro, PCB Drill Bot & More Soon!
http://home.comcast.net/~scottxs/

POLITICS, n.
A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles.
The conduct of public affairs for private advantage. - Ambrose Bierce

Don\'t ever give up what you want in life. The struggle is worth it - Ayn
Rand

**********************************
Reply to
Scott Stephens

In article , snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net opined thusly:

Luck has nothing to do with it - it's actually a very easy industry to get into, because so many people don't want to. Maybe I made it sound too easy, it actually took about a year and maybe $50,000 to get my first site running, although it didn't really need to. (I wanted an automated site). Pick a niche, advertise, get a good but simple camera, market your product. It's no different to any other industry.

Reply to
dave

dave skrev:

snip interesting story

are you going to post some link so we can evaluate? ;)

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Hello Scott.

My thought was that my present boss deserves my attention because he pays me regularly - unlike some of those time-wasters I consulted for. For me that is evidence that he is genuine.

I have noticed that that tech people seem to draw business types like a magnet. The business types don't mean any harm, they just talk in friendly tones to the tech person - then in their own interests.

Roger Lascelles

Reply to
Roger Lascelles

I do software for a living, hardware for leisure, and cook wonderful works of culinary art for my family.

They say that when you accept cash for your hobby, then it is no longer a hobby but merely a job. That's why I would never be a professional chef no matter how well my wife thinks of my cooking.

The Eternal Squire

Reply to
eternalsquire

Simply saying "altruist" would have sufficed.

Pop Christianity teaches a lot of self-destructive crap about forgiving evil-doers and working for people you don't feel good about working for, as they mock your compassion and take advantage of you, counting you as a sucker. And teaches excuse-based, rather than an analytic style of thinking, which enables predators to rob you in Jesus' name.

Of course you can find the same thing in the secular, atheist, communist culture. In socialist government school. In fact thinking about my experience in church vs. public school, I was brutalized less and found much more compassion in church. But having a church with a moral code, one does notice the malice as much more egregious.

At any rate, an atheist philosopher Rand identified philosophy as the first, primitive religion, and art was her worship. Jesus Christ gave numerous examples of of religious predators, and pagan faithful that honored God, and said the evil theists would burn in hell, and the righteous atheists go to heaven.

I shouldn't have used the "Christian" label which doesn't have a damn thing to do about sorting the honest from the corrupt, and the sheep from the goats. Suffice to say altruism is evil, whether its used as an excuse to pay sacrifices or extort sacrifices.

Scott

--
**********************************

DIY Piezo-Gyro, PCB Drill Bot & More Soon!
http://home.comcast.net/~scottxs/

POLITICS, n.
A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles.
The conduct of public affairs for private advantage. - Ambrose Bierce

Don\'t ever give up what you want in life. The struggle is worth it - Ayn
Rand

Reply to
Scott Stephens

I think you mean ex-Christian ex-altruist.

Reply to
mc