Electronic Magazine Recommendations

I've recently decided that I'd like to subscribe to an e magazine (hard copy) again. Many moons ago I used to be a Popular Electronics (and later Radio Electronics) subscriber.

What I'm looking for is _analog_ electronics articles, with/without linear chips. With/without op amps etc.

I _don't_ want a digital emphasis, since I am already quite steeped in AVR projects. I don't (at this time) want to explore other digital platforms. I do enough digital stuff already.

I'm looking at this from an electronic hobbyist pov. Although I'm a licensed ham, I don't have time enough to be active, so I'm not really looking for RF circuits. Maybe someday again when I retire.

It's more for my "interest" and "idea generation" than actual building projects that I'm looking for (a coffee table book for the electronics hobbyist). I already have a backlog of things to design/build. My current focus is on the design aspect of things.

Recommendations?

Warren

Reply to
Warren

"Nuts and Volts" is a good hobbyist-level magazine. I beleive you have to subscribe to the print version in order to get the e version, but I'm not positive that this is the case. It has a nice mix of analog and digital articles. You won't find any sophisticated circuit analyses here. Jon

Reply to
Kral

A good source for analog topics is Planet Analog. Their URL once was

But it looks like EETimes has acquired Planet Analog. It is not a hard copy publication and not for novices. But it is a good place to look for information if you want to stay on top of the latest trends. See:

Reply to
hrh1818

Did you ever consider reading application notes from semiconductor manufacterers? Especially the older ones contain a lot of detailed information.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

IMHO you cant go past:

In hard or e-copy

Reply to
Dennis

Yep, I found these much more informative that the magazines these days (online or hardcopy).

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Nice link thanks. I once suggested (to linear tech and Analog Dev) that they could gather some of their best app notes on a subject and publish them together in book. I'd buy one. I do like a hard copy so I can scribble on the pages.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I have an big old beast of a laser printer that takes virtually free consumables (ebays finest). For my last vacation away I printed out several of the "novel length" ANs referenced above, so I could get my electronics fix. Sad geek that I am :)...

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Surf over to

and download their "Circuit Collection" documents. They're collections of past app notes and design ideas. I have a few of them in hard copy, but I don't think they're available any more; just in PDF format. Some of them date back to the 80s and 90s... great for reminiscing and ideas for old applications using new components.

Cheers,

--
David
dgminala at mediacombb dot net

Dave M expounded in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I have and I do read those, though I must confess that I don't go looking for them. But I think the suggestion is a good one.

I'll definitely check the ideas out posted in this thread. I am carrying a pager this week, so my life is currently "on hold". I look into this after the pager is gone. :)

Thanks everyone.

Warren

Reply to
Warren

John Devereux expounded in news: snipped-for-privacy@devereux.me.uk:

..

I got a nice comb binding machine at a hamfest one year for $15. These are great for binding laser printed stuff into a nice book that opens flat.

I made sure years ago to get a double-sided printer, which makes a world of difference in book thinness. That is a fairly common feature now, but one I wouldn't do without.

Warren

Reply to
Charmed Snark

I bought a giant stapler, takes something like 20 or 25mm staples. The resulting "book" doesn't open flat but its very quick and the result is fine for me. I have a manual comb binder but you can only punch a few sheets at a time.

Absolutely.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

John Devereux expounded in news: snipped-for-privacy@devereux.me.uk:

..

For stuff I don't feel like taking the time to bind, I just use those black paper clamps (I don't recall the correct nomenclature). But I have used the big stapler at the office for big wordy stuff I have to scan through for the important info that I otherwise plan to recycle.

Warren

Reply to
Warren

What exactly causes xerox copies and laser printed ink/toner to transfer to the back of the sheet in front of it in a stack?

I've had old manuals that transfered like that and wonder if anybody knows the exact mechanism by which this happens, or a way to avoid / prevent it?

I have considered this to be especially problematic when using two sided prints/copies because transferring to the blank back of each sheet does not obscure any crucial information.

Reply to
Greegor

I bought an IBICO comb punch and binder (at retail) many years ago when I was giving lots of seminars. Nice machine. I still use it a lot to bind things like my IBIS SPEC v5.0, double-sided printed on my hp P2015dn, it's still 5/8" thick ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I use a4 4 ring binders for the project serious stuff and a big /small stapler for everything else. The 4 ring binders are a little more expensive, but more robust than the 2 ring variety.

Also invested in an A3 printer this year to replace an earlier hp. Hp

5000 series and needed a $20 roller kit (chinese), but very low cost. Does a3 / a4 and hasn't skipped a beat yet. Great for the schematic capture and pcb output.

Double sided will have to wait a while...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

Greegor expounded in news: snipped-for-privacy@k10g2000prh.googlegr oups.com:

In the past, I had seen this happen with photocopies, when I kept them in the basement where there was some dampness.

I have not seen any of this in my double sided prints from my own laser printer. Our current basement is not as damp as the former.

Warren

Reply to
Warren

Jim Thompson expounded in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

..

I'm pretty certain mine is IBICO as well. Once you have one of those, you never look back. Mine will bind big- you just have to punch in smallish sections of 10-20 pages though.

Warren

Reply to
Warren