Electronic control of 2000W 240V AC heater

Hi, I am looking for a circuit to switch on heater(by push button) and then automatically switch it off after say 30 mins (variable). Something like a 555 driving a Triac ??? Any links please.

Cheers

Mike

Reply to
Mike

On a sunny day (Thu, 30 Jul 2009 01:46:51 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Mike wrote in :

Variable? Chewing gum in switch?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

If turning a knob instead of pushing a button is ok, you can buy the device needed.

30 minutes is a long time to make with a 555. The CD4060 is better for making times that long. You could use a power MOSFET to turn on a relay.
Reply to
MooseFET

Actually, I was thinking of an ice cube behind a spring loaded switch level near the heater!

Reply to
Jamie

On a sunny day (Thu, 30 Jul 2009 11:26:03 -0400) it happened Jamie wrote in :

I'v heard US WW2 detonators used a piece of plastic with acetone. Took a while to dissolve the plastic.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Circuit no, but I use a bathroom fan timer which you could use to switch a relay.

Intermatic # EI200W

greg

Reply to
GregS

WW-II ? Plastic? Acetone? Such an expensive and valuable materials couldn't be wasted. They used a piece of tar loaded by the spring.

A piece of sugar inside a safety switch was the standard solution for the delayed activation of the underwater mines. Salt is less suitable for that purpose.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

On a sunny day (Thu, 30 Jul 2009 10:49:41 -0500) it happened Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote in :

scroll down for acetone time delay fuses.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Mechanical twist timer. Cheap, reliable, great human interface.

We use the half-hour versions on our Metcal soldering irons for auto-shutoff.

John

Coffee timer?

The knob and switch from a very old microwave oven?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Hey, I resemble that remark! No, not the old part. I have three microwave ovens, all three have knob timers on them. Just checked the old one was manufactured in 1983, 26 yrs ago. Works fine, (Frigidaire). Mike

Reply to
amdx

Until a couple years ago the cheapest microwave at Walmart had the simple twist timer. Now they are all digital. Too bad. I much prefer the twist timer. Also people who avoid idle power loads. My microwave uses zero power when off.

A CMOS 555 can go to 30 minutes with a low leakage cap.

Reply to
bw