electronic circuit simulation software

Hi colleagues,
need electronic circuit simulation software (preferably b2spice). who can
help? will be much appreciated.
regards
juerg

Re: electronic circuit simulation software

I don't know this software, but Googe shows it as the first result. Looks
like you can buy b2spice online:

http://www.beigebag.com/pricing.htm

For a good free software I recommend ltSpice:

http://www.linear.com/designtools/software /

--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
http://www.frank-buss.de , http://www.it4-systems.de

Re: electronic circuit simulation software

http://ltspice.linear.com/software/swcadiii.exe

Re: electronic circuit simulation software

Go get:

http://www.linear.com/designtools/software/switchercad.jsp

It is a full up unlimited spice that is free to download.  IMO it is
the best one on the market and free too.

Re: electronic circuit simulation software

Well, that's a bit like saying Joe Pass is better than George Benson etc.

I personally use, obviously, my own SS, but I also use Cadence extensively.
Each one has specific features that are not in the other, which I find
indispensable, so I need both. Although, as a side note, I don't use
LTSpice, as it has no features that I can't do without, and a GUI that I
personally, find unusable for my purposes. This is despite the fact that
LTSpice, is probably the fastest and has the best convergence of any non
i.c. targeted spice.

Kevin Aylward...
Analogue IC designer and very part time flogger of cheap simulators

www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice

Re: electronic circuit simulation software

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 13:40:55 GMT, "Kevin Aylward"

[snip]

[snip]

Absolutely!  If it had a proper GUI and post-processor it'd be the
"cat's meow" ;-)

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E.                           |    mens     |
| Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |

So.. the latest Cadence Spectre version has a switch. If you enable it, it
runs 3 to 10 times as fast, and this is as a true standard spice simulator,
not a "fastspice". Oh... I said, to the Cadence man, then why not have this
switch enabled all the time...err..well it then uses 2 licences rather than
the 1 he said.

Unfortunately, I have recently been using Simetrix as well, but soon to
change, if all goes to plan. Its GUI, for 2008, is also truly dreadful. It
can't compete with either PSpice Schematics, or SS. Actually plotting
waveforms is a true plain in the arse. Its still so amazing that people are
so clueless on what is really required when you are doing professional,
err.. 37 1/2 hours a week simulations.

Kevin Aylward

www.superspice.co.uk
SuperSpice

Re: electronic circuit simulation software

Really... what don't you like about it?  I would agree the GUI is a bit
unusual, but never found it particularly "dreadful."

I suspect that a lot of money Catena makes off of SIMetrix comes from
licensing the simulator itself rather than selling the complete standalone
package.  (Pulsonix, among others, use the SIMetrix "engine" but the regular
old Pulsonix GUI.  They did a reasonably good job of letting the GUI exploit
most of the simulator's power as well, although you still have have to put up
with graphs in separate windows.)

I found the ability to specify plots on the schematic (or through a script)
quite handy, actually.

This is unfortunately true of most CAD tools today -- very few of them are
being written by people who actually use them.  Better companies keep close
tabs on feedback from the actual users, though!

---Joel

Re: electronic circuit simulation software

Its, essentially, unusable for at the current time. See below.

When I have my simulation hat on, why on earth would I want to write scripts
just so I can click on wire, have the old trace *replaced* with the new
trace, and stay in that mode where I can again click on a signal and then
have that then displayed? Why should I have to chose different probes to
probe a current or a voltage? I can move the same test point to a wire or
pin in SS, which I stole from PSpice Schematics. Why can't they also steal
all the good features from all the spices as I do?

Why should I have to hold the mouse key down just to get a locked on readout
value of a trace. In SS I stole the cadence, mouse locks to waveform trace
when the mouse pointer is near the trace. Its absolutely indispensable to
me, and one feature that would cause to reject any spice that doesn't have
it.

When I am using spice, I want the key features all to be there, instantly. I
have no idea how to write Simetrix scripts, nor do I have the desire to lean
yet another coding language, nor the time. The whole idea of scripting is
really bogus. Like, Simetrix, don't come with worst case corner reruns, do
you want to go and write one? (see http://www.anasoft.co.uk/WCSETUP.GIF )

There are many, lacking features in the Simetrix GUI, for example, in SS you
can just mouse over wires and pins to get DC operating conditions, and over
the component to get dc and transient power. If I want to get mosfet Vgst,
Vdsat, Vds, gm, etc, I just have to click on the signal list in the docked
toolbar.

For me, I suspect that my complaints are because I am a genuine power user.
I can easily spend the full working day, 5 days a week, for months at a time
running simulations. I just don't have the time to piss about pressing
numerous buttons, to do something that should be right there from the start.
I suspect, many just use spice now and again, and have not really
experienced the frustration of needless aggravation.

Kevin Aylward

www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice

Re: electronic circuit simulation software

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 19:12:02 GMT, "Kevin Aylward"

[snip]

Dead on point!!

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E.                           |    mens     |
| Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |

Thanks Kevin, that's a good list.  I agree with your assessment that most of
the annoyances are likely due to using it on a daily basis (not something that
I do) and thus you expect it to work more "fluidly" than it does.

I have problems convincing some people that maybe, just maybe, it'd be
possible to improve on ORCAD Capture... :-(

It really needs to be an adjustable option (e.g., regular clicking replaces
old trace, shift-clicking adds a new trace), since there are plenty of times
when I want to keep an old trace around to compare with what I'm clicking on
next.

I expect because some people want to click on wires even when they're after
voltages rather than currents... but this would be a nice option ("if I click
on a wire, assume I'm after current, if I click on a pin, I'm after voltage").

Last I heard they were looking for good programmers if you're interested. :-)

My guess would be because it's considered more reliable when there are
multiple closely-spaced traces (as with a Monte Carlo run)... but I agree with
you that "snap to trace" is awfully nice.

Didn't you have to learn some HSpice scripting though?  I haven't used it in
years, but I seem to recall that the waveform viewer was quite barebones, and
doing something as simply as measuring a rise-time required a bit of scripting
(unless of course you wanted to manually do some arithmetic each run).

---Joel

Re: electronic circuit simulation software

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:48:39 -0700, "Joel Koltner"

[snip]

Not a chance :-(

[snip]

I've written a considerable number of scripts (macros) for PSpice
Probe, saved them under meaningful names like "LoopGain" and
"LoopPhase", etc. ;-)

I have no problem with that, but Cadence crap seems to require
grotesquely lengthy scripting to do a piddling amount of measurement
:-(

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E.                           |    mens     |
| Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |

Cadence ADE has a very nice "calculator". I would say, the majority of extra
functions (as you as note above) are available through that GUI interface,
with no scripting.

Kevin Aylward
www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice

Re: electronic circuit simulation software

Well, there you go -- clearly I'd try to run a simulator at least once
differently than Kevin would, so it's probably safe for me to explicitly tell
the simulator what I want to probe rather than have it assume I kow what I'm
doing. :-)

I was thinking of what most people do in the "real world," apparently -- most
often you probe/scope around for voltages on pins whereas you solder in shunt
wires to measure currents.

Re: electronic circuit simulation software

But you haven't gotten inside the spice method.  Connecting
wires in spice are not paths but points (nodes), regardless
of their length or number of branches on the schematic
representation.  That node must exhibit conservation of
charge, regardless of how many currents enter or leave it
and a single instantaneous voltage everywhere that it
connects.

The only way to define a current entering or leaving a node
is to work with some device connected to that node.  Wires
with actual physical length must to be modeled as components
connecting with two ends connecting two different nodes, and
approximating the properties of an actual wire.

Then you could measure the voltage drop across wires and the
current entering or leaving either end (pin) and those two
currents would not be instantaneously the same.  You could
define that wire model as two wires in series and then you
could probe the current in the middle of that pair of wires
in series.  But none of that is possible with net list nodes
(normally shown as wires on spice schematic editors).

John Popelish

Re: electronic circuit simulation software

Yes, I understand this is the case in terms of how SPICE actually operates.

I had a microwaves professor who was fond of saying, "In my class, there is no
such thing as a wire."  (I.e., everything was a transmission line to him.
:-) )

Some (many?) SPICES will happily let you probe the current in a wire (it just
finds the nodes connected to the wire and does the arithmetic) or, of course,
the voltage on a pin, though.  And as I say, for me I'd prefer to tell SPICE
"probe V" or "probe I" and then not worry about whether I'm clocking on a node
or a wire, whereas I have no problem with Kevin wanting a single "probe V or I
based on what's clicked" tool either.

---Joel

Re: electronic circuit simulation software
On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 15:52:31 -0700, "Joel Koltner"

Exactly.  In the old days, you put a zero volt voltage source in line
to measure  the current, sort of a perfect voltage shunt.  Then, you
realized that each device has current flowing into or out of the pins,
so you could measure there.

--
Charlie Edmondson
Edmondson Engineering Inc

Sometimes you want to combine a number of currents.  I made a symbol
"IMEAS", one grid space long to make it easy to insert into a "wire".

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E.                           |    mens     |
| Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |