electrolytic cans

That's silly. If it's a coupling cap, it doesn't matter. If it's a bypass, it doesn't matter. It might, rarely, matter in something like a filter.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

John Larkin wrote

So it is like some HiFi audio recorder with DCcoupling...

I did that when I started playing with FPGAs, for short waveforms, and video. You can make a nice testcard that way too. Still have a FPGA extention board with an old video DAC.

DAC is on the almost empty board on the right.... 10 turn trimpots... FPGA_board_with_25MHz_VCXO_locked_to_rubidium_10MHz_reference_IMG_3724.GIF R2R video DAC next to that TO20 regulator, yellow connector is video out.

F35s too? Maybe fiberglass absorbs radar?

But seriously, it is the soldering (not even 60/40) that worries me there, bad joints on parts that receive external forces is a common fault.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

So, if the LO leaks a little bit into the RF around your mixer, and the antenna of the receiver is activated by it, your radio is transmitting a bit of that LO so the opposing force can find a target for their artiller y.

It DOES matter, rarely. Once in a lifetime, perhaps. Military commo protocols include not only 'radio silence' meaning no transmission, but also 'listening silence'.

Reply to
whit3rd

"Outside foil" means a big film cap. You wouldn't use that for RF. Surface-mount ceramics don't have foil, inside or outside.

A stealthy military box had better be seriously shielded. If PCB parts radiate enough to be dangerous, get a better engineer.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

No, but I reckon carbon fibre reinforced plastic would/could.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Ok. I yield. You're right. It doesn't matter with what you are probably doing.

I did have some odd problems with non-polarized capacitors, where the can is usually connected to the negative terminals of the two back to back capacitors inside the package:

I also had a problem with filtering in an open frame switcher with a negative voltage output. The pos terminal was grounded and the can negative was connected to the power supply output. It coupled some switching junk into some nearby high input impedance circuitry. I couldn't find an electrolytic with a postive can so I fixed it with a grounded extra foil shield around the electrolytic.

However, neither of these problems appear to be anything you might run into in your product.

Adding fuel to the fire: Tantalum electrolytic capacitors with solid electrolyte are marked at their positive terminal with a bar or a "+". Tantalum electrolytic capacitors with non-solid electrolyte (axial leaded style) are marked on the negative terminal with a bar or a "-" (minus). The polarity better can be identified on the shaped side of the case, which has the positive terminal. The different marking styles can cause dangerous confusion. A particular cause of confusion is that on surface mount tantalum capacitors the positive terminal is marked with a bar. Whereas on aluminium surface mount capacitors it is the negative terminal that is so marked.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

We buy surface-mount aluminum caps that have a plastic base header that has bevels that define the orientation.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Not every manufacturer uses that style of polarization marking:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

We usually buy this style of alum or polymer caps:

and tantalums like

I haven't tried tantalum polymers. The regular ones have ESRs that are about right for bypassing regulator outputs.

lunatic fringe electronics

The outside electrode ought to be marked, but it needn't be foil (it isn't for an electrolytic in a can, nor for a tubular ceramic) nor need it be big. Some of my HV oil-filled caps, it matters a LOT which end is near ground. MLC ceramics DO have outer plates, but I don't recall seeing indications in the markings (not that robotic assembly could read 'em).

I know engineers who do that kind of work...they shrug and change the subj ect every time the topic is mentioned.

Reply to
whit3rd

Polymer chip caps are (marked at the '+' end). I've seen aluminums marked at the positive, too, but they're marked with a plus sign.

Reply to
krw

It's a lot easier to avoid radiation than to keep the radiation inside.

Reply to
krw

These are marked on the negative end:

Everybody should use + signs.

lunatic fringe electronics

Not talking about cans pretending to be SMT. I'm talking about the SMT chip style.

Reply to
krw

Mharharhar... }:->

Best regards, Piotr