Electrochemical CO2 Fixation

Pairing Li-CO2 battery energy storage with intermittent renewables while scrubbing atmospheric CO2 simultaneously.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Photosynthesis?

Martin Riddle

scrubbing atmospheric CO2 simultaneously.

html

I believe the number I've read is about 2% efficiency for photosynthesis. I've also never seen a source that indicated ethanol, for example, was actu ally energy generating rather than consuming. Seems it takes a lot of ener gy to make ethanol. I'm not aware of other methods of providing energy fro m photosynthesis other than burning plants as fuel to generate electricity.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

scrubbing atmospheric CO2 simultaneously.

html

Nope- it's all chemical reaction in the electrolyte during charging. Purely chemical.

There is research into "super-" photosynthesis, but it all seems to be in c rop research to boost yields with stuff like rice, and consume less of reso urces that are becoming scarce, things like irrigation water and fertilizer and land, all the while thriving in increasingly harsh CO2 rich environmen ts.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

le scrubbing atmospheric CO2 simultaneously.

n.html

I've also never seen a source that indicated ethanol, for example, was ac tually energy generating rather than consuming. Seems it takes a lot of en ergy to make ethanol. I'm not aware of other methods of providing energy f rom photosynthesis other than burning plants as fuel to generate electricit y.

there is also eating them :)

Reply to
tabbypurr

hile scrubbing atmospheric CO2 simultaneously.

ion.html

s. I've also never seen a source that indicated ethanol, for example, was actually energy generating rather than consuming. Seems it takes a lot of energy to make ethanol. I'm not aware of other methods of providing energy from photosynthesis other than burning plants as fuel to generate electric ity.

That's why photosynthetic carbon capture by things like algae farms has all but been abandoned. The stuff is eaten or dies and decays, and you're back to square one with atmospheric greenhouse gas pollution.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

e:

:

while scrubbing atmospheric CO2 simultaneously.

ation.html

sis. I've also never seen a source that indicated ethanol, for example, wa s actually energy generating rather than consuming. Seems it takes a lot o f energy to make ethanol. I'm not aware of other methods of providing ener gy from photosynthesis other than burning plants as fuel to generate electr icity.

ll but been abandoned. The stuff is eaten or dies and decays, and you're ba ck to square one with atmospheric greenhouse gas pollution.

It's possible in principle to extract the larger stuff. The problem as ever is cost, if it's not competitive it's not very useful.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

:

e:

:

while scrubbing atmospheric CO2 simultaneously.

ation.html

sis. I've also never seen a source that indicated ethanol, for example, wa s actually energy generating rather than consuming. Seems it takes a lot o f energy to make ethanol. I'm not aware of other methods of providing ener gy from photosynthesis other than burning plants as fuel to generate electr icity.

ll but been abandoned. The stuff is eaten or dies and decays, and you're ba ck to square one with atmospheric greenhouse gas pollution.

What's wrong with cycling the carbon. In fact, that is the point. Rather than digging up dead dinosaurs to burn, growing crops to use as fuel means the carbon released at the tail pipe (what an archaic concept) came from th e atmosphere.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

:

ote:

te:

es while scrubbing atmospheric CO2 simultaneously.

ixation.html

hesis. I've also never seen a source that indicated ethanol, for example, was actually energy generating rather than consuming. Seems it takes a lot of energy to make ethanol. I'm not aware of other methods of providing en ergy from photosynthesis other than burning plants as fuel to generate elec tricity.

all but been abandoned. The stuff is eaten or dies and decays, and you're back to square one with atmospheric greenhouse gas pollution.

er is cost, if it's not competitive it's not very useful.

The trouble with the "competitive" idea is the playing field is not level. Digging up dinosaurs pollutes in ways we don't factor into the cost. Peop le are too ignorant to really understand the problems this will ultimately create. Instead they focus on getting to soccer practice and home from wor k with the least inconvenience.

That's why electric cars are a good thing. By changing the way we think of autos people will change their habits a bit and perhaps change the way we do other things as well.

I've noticed that there are competitive choices. Sheets is all about styro foam, I assume to maximize profits in the short term, shallow thinking way. Wawa uses paper. I don't see Wawa going out of business. When I can I m uch prefer to use Wawa and I make sure the paper is recycled to compost.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Harsh? Plants love CO2. Great things happened on Earth when the CO2 level was 5000 PPM.

I figure something like 700 would be good now.

lunatic fringe electronics

te:

ote:

te:

es while scrubbing atmospheric CO2 simultaneously.

ixation.html

hesis. I've also never seen a source that indicated ethanol, for example, was actually energy generating rather than consuming. Seems it takes a lot of energy to make ethanol. I'm not aware of other methods of providing en ergy from photosynthesis other than burning plants as fuel to generate elec tricity.

all but been abandoned. The stuff is eaten or dies and decays, and you're back to square one with atmospheric greenhouse gas pollution.

r than digging up dead dinosaurs to burn, growing crops to use as fuel mean s the carbon released at the tail pipe (what an archaic concept) came from the atmosphere.

It's ultimately more destructive than constructive, especially forest bioma ss.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

te:

[...]

I see we don't agree on much.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

ile scrubbing atmospheric CO2 simultaneously.

on.html

ely chemical.

n crop research to boost yields with stuff like rice, and consume less of r esources that are becoming scarce, things like irrigation water and fertili zer and land, all the while thriving in increasingly harsh CO2 rich environ ments.

LOL- you can't be serious!

This stuff about plants thriving in high CO2 environment has been debunked. Plants will only respond with more growth when the soil fertility is corre spondingly enhanced, otherwise they fade. And it has long been established the nutrient density of the resulting growth can be significantly less. Nut rients are after all the reason why we grow most crops.

And that stuff about past CO2 concentrations of 5000ppm has been debunked b y recent measurements.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

rote:

rote:

bles while scrubbing atmospheric CO2 simultaneously.

-fixation.html

nthesis. I've also never seen a source that indicated ethanol, for example , was actually energy generating rather than consuming. Seems it takes a l ot of energy to make ethanol. I'm not aware of other methods of providing energy from photosynthesis other than burning plants as fuel to generate el ectricity.

as all but been abandoned. The stuff is eaten or dies and decays, and you'r e back to square one with atmospheric greenhouse gas pollution.

her than digging up dead dinosaurs to burn, growing crops to use as fuel me ans the carbon released at the tail pipe (what an archaic concept) came fro m the atmosphere.

mass.

Even if that is true, any land

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

as all but been abandoned. The stuff is eaten or dies and decays, and you'r e back to square one with atmospheric greenhouse gas pollution.

her than digging up dead dinosaurs to burn, growing crops to use as fuel me ans the carbon released at the tail pipe (what an archaic concept) came fro m the atmosphere.

mass.

This analysis is not valid. First, it is only considering the burning of w ood from forests. It makes invalid comparisons, such as, "cutting and proc essing wood uses energy". What energy source doesn't "use energy" in the p rocess???

There may be some valid points about the initial hit in releasing carbon bu t I think the fact that it is a much lower contributor after that point wil l more than make up for it eventually. The analysis looks at the idea of a single plot being cut and burned then allowed to regrow over decades. Thi s is a continuous process overlapping with a spike and a down ramp with a v ery small contribution to CO2 over all.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

rote:

[...]

That I can certainly agree on.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

ile scrubbing atmospheric CO2 simultaneously.

on.html

ely chemical.

n crop research to boost yields with stuff like rice, and consume less of r esources that are becoming scarce, things like irrigation water and fertili zer and land, all the while thriving in increasingly harsh CO2 rich environ ments.

The sun was dimmer back then, and we needed a thicker CO2 blanket to keep t he place warm enough for plants to thrive.

John Larkin lets his denialist web-sites do his figuring for him. Oddly, th ey never seem to figure in the fact that the sun was smaller back then and providing less radiant heating.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to