Electrical Engineering Texts?

Hello, What texts would your recommend for a recent B.S. in Electrical Engineering grad looking to start a small reference library?

Reply to
UAFEEUndergrad

ARRL Radio Amateur's Handbook. It has more than just radio stuff.

Fred K4DII

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

Depends. Generally it's very important to spend time on learning the general principles very very thoroughly, and figure out the details as you go along. So assuming you want to be a generalist--those are the most useful folks, IME--you might want to look at:

Semiconductors and IC Design:

---------------------------- Gray and Meyer, "Analysis and Design of Analog Integrated Circuits" S. M. Sze, "Physics of Semiconductor Devices" (second edition--the third edition isn't as good) Walter Harrison, "Solid State Theory" Aldert van der Ziel, "Noise in Solid State Devices and Circuits" Chris Toumazou, "Trade-offs in Analog Circuit Design"

Analogue Circuit Design

----------------------- Horowitz & Hill, "The Art of Electronics" Jim Williams, "Analog Circuit Design: Art, Science and Personalities" Jim Williams, "The Art and Science of Analog Circuit Design" J. R. Whitehead, "Superregenerative Receivers" F. E. Terman, "Radio Engineering" Harold S. Black, "Modulation Theory" As many of the Rad Lab and "Modern Radio Techniques" series as you can afford

Mulvey, "Sampling Oscilloscope Circuits" Gardner, "Phase Lock Techniques" Parzen, "Design of Crystal and Other Harmonic Oscillators"

Control Systems:

--------------- Phelan, "Automatic Control Systems"

Math and numerical methods

------------ Bracewell, "The Fourier Transform and its Applications" Bender & Orszag, "Advanced Mathematical Methods for Scientists and Engineers" Arfken, "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" Numerical Recipes in C (second edition preferably) Hamming, "Digital Filters" (not very deep but good anyway)

Mixed-Technology Systems

------------------------ R. Hanbury Brown, "The Intensity Interferometer" R. V. Jones, "Instruments and Experiences" E. Pugh et al, "IBM's Early Computers" T. Kidder, "The Soul of a New Machine"

(I'm leaving the digital stuff for other folks. There are lots of other things if you're interested in lasers and optics and stuff.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

"UAFEEUndergrad"

** What UAF course are you actually doing ?

Computer Engineering ?

Electrical ( Power ) Engineering ?

Seems they are your only choices in Fairbanks Alaska.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Phil's list is good, but he modestly omits his own "Designing Electro-Optical Systems", two more copies of which I ordered today from Amazon.

Get "Reference Data for Radio Engineers", even an old cheap used copy.

Jim Williams' two "Analog Circuit Design" books are great reads.

Analog Devices has a good linear applications manual, about the size of a phone book. National's classic Linear Applications Handbook is good.

Williams' filter design book is good, if you're interested in filters.

John

Great list, thanks Phil. I've only got/read 1/2 of those...so lots to look forward to.

Do you know of any 'thermal' texts?

John L. mentioned something in a previous thread but I didn't copy it down, perhaps he'll remind me.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Hi, George,

Steinberg's "Cooling Techniques for Electronic Equipment" is pretty good.

John

All the thermal stuff I have is either classical thermodynamics and statistical mechanics, e.g. Landau & Lifshitz, or else partial differential equations, e.g. Carrier & Pearson or Adomian. The closest thing I have to a heat transfer textbook is probably "Marks' Standard Handbook of Mechanical Engineering."

One other really good book I forgot is Bode's "Network Analysis and Feedback Amplifier Design". It has a whole lot of good lore and insight as well as math: stuff like how wide a bandwidth can you get with a matching network for a given source impedance, and so on--from the inventor of the Bode plot. Brilliant.

(And Bode's name is pronounced the Dutch/German way, bode-uh, _not_ the Indian way, bode-ee.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

rd

ther

.net

t- Hide quoted text -

Thanks guys, I copied them down this time.

Phil forget pronunciation, I=92m lucky to get most of the right letters. Wein, Wien, Wine=85 it all lets ya oscillate

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Nah, I just think that 'bow-dee plot' sounds lame, so I was very happy to discover that H. W. B. actually insisted on the Dutch pronunciation himself. My initial guess was that since he lived in New Jersey, it was probably Ellis Islandized to "bohd", but apparently he didn't go that far either.

I know a family of missionaries called the DeBoyces...spelled 'Dubois'. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

...but...ain't that French? Have them face the music..do wah.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Bit old some of these books. Many of the electronics ones are still Bipolar fixated whereas CMOS and IC design is more of the norm nowadays in mass production. For 1-offs and tinkerers then they are ok.

Hardy

Reply to
HardySpicer

If you are a grad in Elect Eng you don't know of any current books on teh subject? How the hell did you pass?

You'll need books in Circuit Theory analogue design digital design DSP Wireless Coms Electrical Machines Maths Books Software Eng (Object orientated - not just ordinary c) Control Systems Advanced Control Systems Microprocessors + Embedded Systems and so on

Hardy

Reply to
HardySpicer

HardySpicer

:-( Sold out from amazon.com, amazon.co.uk, the publisher cambridge.org

And then this from borders.com :-) : The Art Of Electronics [Hardcover]

Paul Horowitz (See more contributors) $55.01 Pre-order - Available on June 30, 2011 Eligible for Free Shipping! Learn More This item is eligible for FREE 2-Day Shipping learn more

About the The Art Of Electronics

This is the thoroughly revised and updated Second Edition of the hugely successful The Art of Electronics. Widely accepted as the single, authoritative text and reference on electronic circuit design, both analog and digital, this book has sold over 120,000 copies, and has been translated into eight languages. This book revolutionized the teaching of electronics by emphasizing the methods actually used by circuit designers--a combination of some basic laws, rules of thumb, and a large bag of tricks. The result is a largely nonmathematical treatment that encourages circuit intuition, brain storming, and simplified calculations of circuit values and performance. This completely new edition responds to the breakneck pace of change in electronics with totally rewritten chapters on microcomputers and microprocessors, substantially revised chapters on digital electronics, on op-amps and precision design, and on construction techniques. Every table has been revised, and many new ones have bee...

more Publishing Details Publisher: Cambridge University Press Date: June 30, 2011 Edition: Revised ISBN13: 9780521809269 ISBN: 0521809266 BINC: 3210176

With so many false alarms, can we trust this?

Cheers,

Chris Egernet

Reply to
C Egernet

What John means is probably "Electronic Filter Design Handbook" by Arthur B. Williams and Fred J. Tayler. My copy is the second editions ISBN 0-07-070434-1. There was a third edition, ISBN 0-07-07430-9, which - IIRR - came with a floppy disk. The fourth edition is now available from Amazon

and comes with a compact disk.

The second edition wasn't just good, it was very good. Don't be without it.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Then try

or

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Looking over my bookshelf this morning, I would add S. Franco's "Design with Operation Amplifiers and Analog Integrated Circuits" to the list. Opamps in a bit more gory detail than is done in AoE.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

You err. The key isn't whether you can run a mouse or program VHDL, it's whether you _understand_. Button pushers get obsolete fast.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

[snip]

Who is this Hardy nutcase? Fundamentals are fundamentals... forever! You are spot-on, _understanding_ is what is lacking in our "educational" system today. All the recent graduates I meet are robotic, plug-into-equation types :-(

I should start posting the student questions I receive privately... hilarious lack of the barest of fundamentals. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature