Electrical conductivity of flames (OT?)

Hi guys, A colleague had his flame sensor in his gas furnace fail and this led to a discussion about how they work. The sensors are just a metal rod that sit?s in the flame. They apply an AC voltage to the rod and measure the current going from the rod to the flame nozzle. The flame is a plasma and conducts ~micro amp currents with ~ 100 volts of drive. Now here?s the weird part. The flame sensor shows rectification and so only has to sense a DC current. I?m totally clueless as to how you get rectification. If you scroll down to the description (back ground of invention) here,

you?ll see he talks about different areas being important. But no other explanation. Anyone have an idea of what?s going on?

Thanks George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I don't know the Physics, but a probe into a flame apparently behaves as a rectifier. ...Jim Thompson

Similar to the effects of a heated cathode in a triode tube? The metal rod is, I'd guess, much hotter than the nozzle so more free electrons leading to a rectification effect.

Reply to
Rich Webb

If you download the pdf of the patent and look at fig 1. it shows the direction of the diode... from the probe to the grounded nozzle. I also get the impression that it works fairly fast (a second or less.) which hardly seems like enough time for the probe to heat up. If one assumes that all the current is carried by the electrons in the plasma, then you see more current when the electrons are moving in the same direction as the mass flow in the flame.... maybe that is important?

I don't see how the relative areas matter though.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

you?ll see he talks about different areas being important. But no other explanation. Anyone have an idea of what?s going on?

Thanks George H.

If he lightly sands off the oxide coating on the rod, it will work again for six to 12 months. The rod gets an insulating layer formed by the combustion products in the flame. Think dust, etc.

I have the same issue on my gas water heater and that is how I get around it.

tm

Reply to
tm

for

on

Yup, he cleaned the rod and it's working again. It looks like a yearly cleaning of the rod is now recommended maintenance.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Water heaters would almost certainly use a thermopile, and be powered by the flame, no external power supply needed. Usually, when the thermopiles fail, they have internal shorts or opens, and have to be replaced.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Brilliant!

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I was recently called out to repair a gas boiler system, ostensibly with a failed flame-conducting sensor. It turned out that the sensor worked from live to earth and someone had reversed the live and neutral at the supply meter tails a few days before. Every electrical appliance in the house was live when it was switched off.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Simple. Think of a vacuum tube, where a heated element emits electrons that are collected elsewhere. Collection areas are different and so capability, control, etc vary - and according to relative bias.

Reply to
Robert Baer

--
If you have a setup like this: (View with a fixed pitch font)

where you have one spherical electrode (large area) and one pointy
one, (small area) then when the pointy end goes negative, the field
strength at the point will be high and it'll be easy for electrons to
jump the gap, as long as it's not too great.

When the spherical electrode goes negative, however, the field
strength will be much lower and it'll be hard for electrons to jump
the gap.

Voila, rectifier!

.   +---O
Reply to
John Fields

" sit?s "?????????????????????????????

Reply to
Robert Baer

nd

ows

this also mentions area

50-2163_RevB_1.pdf

something kinda related is ion sensing ignition, biasing the spark plug gap to 80V and looking at the current right after the spark things like misfires, peak pressure position and knocking can be detected

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

I ralize my answer here is off topic for your question but others may be interested.

It is my understanding that years ago Japan had a major fire throughout a city, so some engineers took the opportunity to use the blocks and blocks of fire to make some measurmeents. They beamed through the flames and smoke and obtained REAL data regarding the conductivity over a spectrum of an actual fire.

Don't know where that data resides, but it does represent some incredible information. Anybody know where it is?

Reply to
Robert Macy

This is an automatic control that needs to instantly detect ignition of the gas. A thermocouple would take too much time to heat up. In that time, the whole system gets filled with the perfect air-gas mix. Then you get a "Joerg super-phuut".

tm

Reply to
tm

Why would the field strength be different for different applied polarity? The field depends on the applied voltage and the electrode geometry.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

The field strength at the same electrode is the same, but the end that would be emitting electrons changes. It is much harder to emit atoms with a positive charge than electrons, so only the negative end matters.

--

Rick
Reply to

Back when I was in high school I read about a flame loud speaker. I built one using a propane torch and two pieces of carbon from dry cells. It actually worked! Not very loud but it worked. I entered it in the science fair. It didn't occur to me to use the torch for one of the electrodes. I've still got the brackets for holding the torch somewhere.

--

Rick
Reply to

ws

   ...Jim Thompson

I think he is confusing that with a rectum-fryer.

Reply to
brent

Tom

Reply to