Electric Vehicles Are Great for Long Trips

Spend more $$$ car go faster that is more or less the equation

Reply to
bitrex

Professional auto reviewers tend to rate cars as to what (subjective) value for the money they provide vs. vehicles at their same price point/class.

The Model X as I recall didn't get stellar reviews across the board not because it wasn't a great performing or technologically advanced vehicle but because some reviewers believed it didn't provide particularly good value for the price.

Reply to
bitrex

Only downside to driving a non-Tesla in the US is the ICE drivers will tell you EVs suck and the Tesla drivers will tell you _your_ EV sucks.

When other drivers want to ask the same passive-aggressive questions "say, is that a real electric car?" I've taken to just pretending I don't speak English when/telling them I'm an illegal immigrant "Me illegal immigrant me here take your job, pendejo"

Reply to
bitrex

We drive up into the Sierras, and we know people with young kids who like to go up there too. It's about 190 miles, 3 hours at best, 6 or more in a blizzard. I can work up there, as can some friends.

A full tank of gas is reassuring, working up towards 7200 feet when it's snowing.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I was looking at the Harpers Ferry gap along the Potomac one day and realiz e the river could not have cut it's way through the ridge unless the ridge rose up through the river. So the river was there first and as the ridge r ose it cut the gap like a band saw.

I looked it up and that is what the geologist say in not so clear terms. S ame for the Delaware gap.

--

  Rick C.

  -+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

That's what 'water gap' means to a geologist, IIRC. John McPhee's books about geology are highly recommended. My favourites of his are "Basin and Range" and "Irons In The Fire" (which is mostly about ranching and cattle rustling in Nevada).

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

When we were in that age group, we drove from NY/VT to IL twice a year to visit the family. We did it for the 30+ years while our parents were living.

Reply to
krw

He is just being obstinate. On one hand he argues that his HV is great because he can use gasoline on long trips. Then when arguing against EVs, in particular, Teslas, he tries to argue that people don't take longer trips.

--

  Rick C.

  -++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Rick C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

The Delaware Water Gap was cut by water.

Now look at the Grand Tetons.

A plate rose up a to a 6500 foot prominence at the base of which is a 900 foot deep lake (wow). And Jackson Hole.

I have seen them up close. Probably would be a wild climb. Pretty shear, but not done by water.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Phil Hobbs wrote in news:qg5rj0$6j5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Interesting reading tastes.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Point was that I don't use it for trips further afield than 50 miles regularly enough to make paying the higher price tag that cars with 250 mile+ long range batteries cost worth the premium.

the price difference was 26k vs 35k-40k can buy a lotta gas for $9000. I definitely haven't come close to putting $9000 worth of gas into it. more like $150 of gas a year.

The first generation Nissan Leaf started with a range of about 80 miles, topped out at a range of 110 miles they didn't sell several hundred thousand of these cars because the consumer found that wholly inadequate.

A sporty pure EV sedan/runabout, maybe even a lightweight two-seater, that had a 100 mile range and fast charging that I don't have to pay luxury-car price for would be my ideal. Nobody makes that car, yet.

Reply to
bitrex

Try to understand that most working people my age, particularly those with families who are single-income or where one parent only works part time, cannot afford to pay 35-40k outright for a new car.

Cannot afford it. Do not have budget. Some folks are paying off huge student loan debts, still. Does not make financial sense to get it as it will not provide any significant operating cost savings over a less costly Prius or some other hybrid or plug-in hybrid vehicle that costs near 10k less.

It's not a question of desire if anyone were to just hand us a Model 3 we'd surely take it.

Reply to
bitrex

Yeah San Fran tech people do all sorts of fun stuff with their free time I'm sure.

For the rest of us there are a lot of activities that fall into the category of "financially irresponsible" like spending money on luxury-priced electric vehicles, say. Driving into the mountains in luxury vehicles with kids in blizzards. and so forth.

Part of the reason Donald Trump was elected was so many of the alternative candidates seemed...

out of touch

Reply to
bitrex

bitrex wrote in news:TNxVE.151930$xm4.39525 @fx45.iad:

You really do not understand. It is technology priced, not 'luxury priced'.

And its cost amortizes itself out over time. But you apparently lack knowledge of that premise as well.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

that what Tesla started with:

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

People all over the world enjoy their leisure time.

My big objection to hauling brats up into the Sierras is that our internet rate drops to a crawl as all those kids go online to look at movies and play games. 4th of July weekend was horrible.

It gets so bad that the only things left to do are reading and hiking and cooking etc.

lunatic fringe electronics

McPhee is such a good writer he could make almost anything compelling. However, those two are also really interesting as stories.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

cars aren't assets like cash, stocks, or real estate they're just forever-depreciating rust. and the depreciation curve on luxury vehicles is almost always far worse relatively speaking than cheaper vehicles. anything you could realistically save on fuel over the life of the car in a luxury-priced new EV is immediately crushed out by the harder depreciation hit, the higher excise taxes, etc.

Nobody buys a 40-60k car new off the lot, electric or otherwise, to save money as compared to some economy vehicle that costs 15k less or "amortize" a goddamn thing.

Reply to
bitrex

at $112,000 a truly absurd vehicle appealing only to the most pathological of very wealthy balding middle-aged tech dudes, as a 7th exotic sports car in the garage of the Cupertino bang-pad, useful only for bringing 17 year old goth girls of questionable emotional stability home from night clubs for "photo shoots"

Reply to
bitrex

or being fired into space on a rocket in the direction of Mars, depending.

Reply to
bitrex