Electric Vehicles Are Great for Long Trips

Volt, not Bolt, that's a different car...anyway the AC unit doesn't seem any better or worse than other modern sedans. The electric heater in winter is a much bigger drain on the battery than the AC unit, the AC draws about 500 watts when on "eco" to maintain temp and about 2kW when running flat out to cool the cabin down quickly when e.g. it's been sitting in the sun a while.

In the summer though there always seem to be three times as many cars on the road at all times, there's much more traffic, and the Boston drivers seem to be three times as aggressive and pissed-off than usual.

MA is in theory one of the safer states vis a vis traffic fatalities and injuries statistics to drive in but one of the worst when it comes to just sheer number of accidents and fender-bender insurance payouts and general whack-offery.

The old saw is "Massachusetts drivers drive like they want to kill _you_, Rhode Island drivers drive like they want to kill _themselves_"

Reply to
bitrex

Also it's assuming that the vehicles even let the charge controller engage when the vehicle isn't in park, it's probably locked-out in the firmware or hardware interlocked somehow. They don't want anyone to have any fun...:(

Reply to
bitrex

Well, no fun allowed with your powertrain warranty still valid, anyway.

Reply to
bitrex

bitrex wrote in news:gMbVE.31720$ snipped-for-privacy@fx42.iad:

No... That is a dude!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Dude....where's my car?

Reply to
bitrex

And sometimes you just want to get there.

lunatic fringe electronics

bitrex wrote in news:U3cVE.83852$ snipped-for-privacy@fx47.iad:

Mayhem took it as bBolt said...

WHAT!!!

W H A T ! ! !

W W H H A A T T !!!!!!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I don't really know anyone in the 30-early 40s demographic that takes long road trips regularly, we're mostly too busy with families, wives and/or girlfriends, toddlers and/or young children, elderly parents, working 40-60 hours a week, etc.

Reply to
bitrex

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I saw your post about being pressed back in the seat, and how much you liked it.

You are a hypocrite. Most EVs have faster acceleration.

You are just biased against certain Usenet newsgroup posters.

Plenty of other reasons your horse blinders are adjusted to a thin slit as well.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

bitrex wrote in news:yncVE.140075$xm4.114363 @fx45.iad:

I drove my '70 Monte Carlo from Cincinnati to Hackensack about 6 times a year to see mine. 645 miles one way... about eight hrs with me doing it.

I made the normally 17mpg car get over 24 mpg on the run by cresting the hills in PA (they call 'em mountains for some reason)at 90MPH, and turning off the car and coasting down and most of the way up the next hill before I fired it back up again (at early hours of the morn).

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

We'll remember that next time you gush about your Audi.

--

  Rick C.

  ++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

ts to driving cross country. Very few people won't want to stop periodical ly to eat and use a bathroom. Here is a perfect example of what a trip in a Tesla is like.

Basically the Volt is a plug in hybrid with an oversized battery pack. The wheels are driven by the planet carrier - just like the Prius. The electric motor drives the ring gear - just like the Prius. The ICE drives the sun g ear and a motor/generator - just like the Prius. GM juggled around the size of the electric motor and ICE to suit their goals. That's fine but when yo u strip off the bureaucratic balloney it's a plug in Prius or a Ford Fusion Energi.

As for the Tesla, when I take a trip, I want to stop when _I_ want to stop , not 'is there a supercharger here ?'. Electric motors are great. Batterie s not so much.

Reply to
stratus46

the hybrid drivetrain isn't really like the Prius at all, it's a series hybrid as opposed to a parallel hybrid for one thing.

You can take it on electric power alone up to the electronically limited top speed of 101 mph on the battery alone the engine never turns on.

It's also not a slush-box like the Prius the 0-60 is low 7 seconds not

10-11 seconds.
Reply to
bitrex

the 0-30 time is about 2.2 seconds which is where it's the most fun, off the line, would like to see a Prius do 0-30 in 2.2 seconds

Reply to
bitrex

New England has probably the most available single young women of any area of the country, outside NYC or Los Angeles, say - it would have to be a pretty special lady I would drive more than 50 miles to see regularly.

Cincinnati...well..I can understand...

Reply to
bitrex

Could be worse. Could be Utah. 50% chance she's heard of what sex is.

50% chance you have to marry her first if she has.
Reply to
bitrex

op, not 'is there a supercharger here ?'. Electric motors are great. Batter ies not so much.

Yes, I agree. There are not enough trip chargers yet to make trips "effort less". When I took my truck between Tennessee and Virginia the mid point w as Wytheville which was not a bad spot considering the other options. But my Tesla doesn't have enough range to reach there in other than good condit ions. So sometimes I have to stop at a charger earlier and then skip Wythe ville stopping in Bristol. Bristol has an entire shopping area within walk ing distance including a much nicer restaurant, so it works out for the bet ter anyway.

Even if they added other locations along Rt 81, which I hear they are doing , there just isn't much in the way of good places to eat on this stretch, s o Bristol is as good as it gets. In my truck I put up with the crappy food at Wytheville so I could make just one stop (unless I needed a bathroom br eak). In the model X (the worst range of any Teslas) I have to stop twice, one of them the best place to eat along the route. In other words, in the real world, it's not really that big a deal.

That was the whole point of the video. As time passes, there will be many more EV chargers and many businesses will spring up around them to accommod ate the patrons.

--

  Rick C.

  --- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

How about 0-55 in that same time? Get a Tesla. Heck, even a slow Tesla will do much better than that.

--

  Rick C.

  --+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

bitrex wrote in news:9JeVE.34215$ snipped-for-privacy@fx41.iad:

I lived in NJ and moved back to Cinti. in '87 to care for my mom, since my aunt and cousin were just murdered.

So, it was a matter of needing to be with her, but no longer living there.

Driving is great.

I saw 'wondrous' 'American' things like NJ State police (major PIG mentality assholes every one) that pull you over due to social stigma (long hair) then force you to look out off the side of the road while he and an unmarked, plainclothes asshole who stopped later search your car. Then force you to sign a permission to search form under threat of a three day arrest and more thorough and damaging search.

I saw cool things like the Delaware Water Gap.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The LR RWD Model 3 0-60 looks to be about 5 seconds that's not ridiculously fast for a performance sedan at the 40k price point, there are many much cheaper cars you could buy that can do that if raw speed were your only metric e.g. a manual V6 Camaro for 30. Fuel economy won't be nearly as good, obv.

The 60k Model 3 Performance LR AWD is definitely ridiculously fast for a car in its class.

Reply to
bitrex